Rain on saltwater beach

Sweeps

OK, another stupid newbie question.

I know my ACE 350 isn't really good for wet sand at a saltwater beach, so I've hunted the dry sand.

Question is, if it rains (like it's doing here in CT right now), would that make the sand I normally hunt as difficult to hunt as the wet sand of the water's edge?

I'm thinking, "Probably", but what do I know.

Sweeps

If I understand your question correctly I would say 'no' because the reason the sand by the water's edge is so tough on detectors is because of the minerals in it (ie. saltwater) while the rainwater would presumably be fresh. So, in theory, sand made wet by rainwater will not give a detector as many problems as sand moistened by sea water.

I was thinking that the salt would still be in that sand, and that the rain would kinda "reactivate" it...

But like I said, what do I know.

Thank you for posting, I believe I'm overthinking some of this stuff!

Sweeps

over thinking

I was thinking that the salt would still be in that sand, and that the rain would kinda "reactivate" it...

But like I said, what do I know.

Thank you for posting, I believe I'm overthinking some of this stuff!

Sweeps

We all have done that in the begining, Always try and test your theries out and have fun, thats what it's all about.

Worst thing about dry sand hunting after the rain is when it only wets the top crust. When your coil gets wet all the dry sand underneath sticks to your coil making it heavier. You never know until you try it. More a problem if there is black sand or something under there the wet sand up high now lets you reach.

If you're in the rain, do your best to waterproof the box. Even built-up condensation under a plastic cover can ruin your 350.

Rain changes little on the wet sand slope. If it was wet sand before the rain and caused you trouble hunting then it will be the same. You just have to get another machine for salt beaches. Dry sand where it is dry all the time, your machine will work well. The problem is there are LOTS of guys who have those machines and walking through soft sand sucks. I think competition on dry sand is worse than wet sand though because 90% of the detectors owned can not work wet salt sand with the depth needed to find gold. That is what we are looking for.

Good points!

Thanks, guys!

I'm trying to test stuff out as I go along, and having fun doing it, so no worries.

Good advice about the condensation under the cover, hadn't thought of that. What, if anything, can protect the box? Not that I really want to hunt in a downpour anyways...

And as far as another machine made for the wet salt sand...I think I've been bitten by the MD bug, it's pretty much guaranteed I'll be getting one in the future. For right now, though, I'm just going to try to really get good with what I've already got.

No matter what, I'm already having fun just going out. Even if I just find some unrecognizable POS, I get a kick out of it!

HH,

Sweeps

Back
Top Bottom