The Penny Leads to the Gold!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I have gone 10 hunts without anything yellow clanking in the scoop and that seemed to be an eternity for me. Yesterday, I had my gear in my car thinking I might go out on a hunt after work and try to end the slump with hunt #11 since GLF on August 11th. (Gold Last Found). I really wanted to go to Miami Beach but I couldn’t leave work early to hit the low tide the way I wanted to. Plus I wasn’t motivated for the longer drive or the bit of rougher surf I would face so I made my way to “Penny Beach” just to get out into the water on a beautiful and hot afternoon knowing my chances for gold would be slim. I hunted for 3.5 hours and it was targets galore as usual here! Unfortunately, as I knew, it would be a plethora of pennies. No matter, I was in it for the game. Half way thorough the hunt I get the junk ring. A little afterwards I notice another pirate – a rarity on this beach. We talk for a bit and he asks me “if I was the teacher?” because he had heard about me from another pirate friend. I say yes and we talk a bit and up to that time we both had just gotten only a junk ring each. He continues hunting the deeper water with his mask and snorkel and fanning technique and I continue gridding from shore out. On one of the many penny signals I dug near shore I look in the scoop and the 1st thing that I see is a nice little unmistakable yellow! :dingding: I pull it out and I barely notice but I believe I can make out something etched on the tiny closure arm – a good sign. I look in the scoop and there is the beautiful penny that led me to the yellow. I take the earring to the wet sand and run the coil over it – it makes a signal but one that I would never have dug near shore due to the HUGE amount of bottle caps that this beach produces. Not a bad hunt with the amount of coins and getting the small gold (.86 grs of 18K). This will be my only gold for September as I don't foresee another hunt this weekend.

Attachments

• 9-28-18.jpg
    9-28-18.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 628
  • 9-28-18 Earring.jpg
    9-28-18 Earring.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 9-28-18 Fits.jpg
    9-28-18 Fits.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 600
  • 9-28-18 Coin (1).jpg
    9-28-18 Coin (1).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 599
  • 9-28-18 Coin (2).jpg
    9-28-18 Coin (2).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 602
Wow, I thought I was digging a lot of pennies at 60. Congrats on the the nice gold.

That's some Nice Butter yellow color there!! Nice Save Mr Felix!

Good old penny beach eh? Bycatch gold is good gold...especially when it's 18K.
I dug one of those Bahamas starfish pennies up here in Wisconsin, last year. Funny how coins travel so far, and then get lost.

I was just about to post "but it doesn't fit" and then...

R5

You just need an eye patch and a hat and we'll confirm that you're a true pirate matey.:lol: Congratulations on the gold. Those awful pennies make it look especially good!

So, if going 10 hunts without gold is a long period for a beach hunter, what's your average number of hunts to get gold? Congrats on the gold!

So, if going 10 hunts without gold is a long period for a beach hunter, what's your average number of hunts to get gold? Congrats on the gold!
I don't consider myself as successful as other guys down here that I know that look only for erosion and work it well. I have had 62 hunts this year and have 19 golds (2 returns) so its a gold every 3.3 hunts. I am a hunter that gets to the beach and tries to make the best of the conditions he finds.

Back
Top Bottom