Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Trashfinder's Avatar
Trashfinder Trashfinder is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 911
Default

I have owned Tesoro and still do. I think the fact of what has happened speaks for itself. They will have a following till all of US old timers,includes me have passed on out of the detecting world. Bottom line the majority, including me, like both multi tone and ID machines. Having put Tesoro and almost everything else head to head i can honestly say they fair well, but are not the best at unmasking. But have held market because of their prices. I knew and did post when the NOX was released that it did and does obsolete everything at the time of release for just one reason.... Price! For what you get and what it does nothing compares. I knew there would be some fallout and figured the ones near the bottom would be first, so this does not come as a surprise to me at all.

I hope someone can pick up the pieces and operate the company maybe as a mom and pop operation and make a go of it.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #42  
Old 10-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Dubious Dubious is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 134
Default

Originally Posted by Dan B View post
I disagree that Tesoro should have gone down the path of (almost) all the other companies by adding digital screens, waterproofing, internal batteries etc. That market is saturated with lots of choices. Tesoro provided the best discrimination circuitry in the business, IMHO. All they needed to do was take a machine like the Tejon and give it tones like the Golden uMax. People still love that detector. I had one a few years ago, and it was a fun machine, just not very deep. Take those tones and add them to the H.O.T. machines and they would need a second shift to keep up with demand. The other thing they should have done, like it or not, is have a presence on social media. There is no escaping the fact that social media is crucial for success in the 21st century.
I agree multi-tones is the useful feature to add to at least a few high end models--and the Golden uMax shows Tesoro knew how to do it, so strange it did not. But, I think those other modern features are also important for marketing and the perception of being at the cutting edge. I don't use social media (this is literally as close as I come), but if Tesoro wasn't advertising there, it should have been. Unfortunately, that's apparently the only way to reach some folks these days.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #43  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 AM
jmaryt jmaryt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
I have owned Tesoro and still do. I think the fact of what has happened speaks for itself. They will have a following till all of US old timers,includes me have passed on out of the detecting world. Bottom line the majority, including me, like both multi tone and ID machines. Having put Tesoro and almost everything else head to head i can honestly say they fair well, but are not the best at unmasking. But have held market because of their prices. I knew and did post when the NOX was released that it did and does obsolete everything at the time of release for just one reason.... Price! For what you get and what it does nothing compares. I knew there would be some fallout and figured the ones near the bottom would be first, so this does not come as a surprise to me at all.

I hope someone can pick up the pieces and operate the company maybe as a mom and pop operation and make a go of it.
it shouldn't come as a surprise!..tesoros discriminate very well in trash!.they are of a 2 pole design.i (suspect) a "multi frequency" digital designed circuit could be faster,but the tesoro is close,if not a '"dead nuts" match.that said.it's NOT
the cost differential that "influences" the argument for a tesoro,but the simple fact that a tesoro user who KNOWS his detector's analog language has the ""potential to "out hunt" an equinox in the junk.the added bonus of course ,IS the price differential.never dismiss a man who KNOWS his equipment,for he is a very competitive hunter,no matter what he uses in the field.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #44  
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Trashfinder's Avatar
Trashfinder Trashfinder is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 911
Default

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
it shouldn't come as a surprise!..tesoros discriminate very well in trash!.they are of a 2 pole design.i (suspect) a "multi frequency" digital designed circuit could be faster,but the tesoro is close,if not a '"dead nuts" match.that said.it's NOT
the cost differential that "influences" the argument for a tesoro,but the simple fact that a tesoro user who KNOWS his detector's analog language has the ""potential to "out hunt" an equinox in the junk.the added bonus of course ,IS the price differential.never dismiss a man who KNOWS his equipment,for he is a very competitive hunter,no matter what he uses in the field.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Mine did fair well in tests and in the field. Easy to use not complicated for sure and priced right. And they have their places and uses, but unfortunately when you can drive a corvette for ford focus prices..... again it does not surprise me what happened. I think their is a possibility another might go the same way in the future.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #45  
Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM
RBachman's Avatar
RBachman RBachman is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Coastal SC
Posts: 181
Default

It seems that they kept bumping up the price for the same technology for quite awhile. Whereas the rest of the electronics world were dropping prices on obsolete technology and investing in new and more advanced technology at relatively the same cost point. Perhaps they were lucky to survive this long?

One thing, though, that I haven't seen mentioned is this. Typically, payroll comes before owners pay themselves. Owners also hold the bill for outstanding loans, contracts, materials, utilities and other expenses. Owners get what's left over...assuming, of course, they operate legally with good ethics and morals. From all the good things I've read about the company, it does seem they did what they could considering the hole they dug. It wouldn't surprise me if the owners took out personal loans or additional mortgages to cover shortfalls in operating budgets and payroll.

__________________
Dig unto others as you would have others dig unto you.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #46  
Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Dan B Dan B is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by RBachman View post
One thing, though, that I haven't seen mentioned is this. Typically, payroll comes before owners pay themselves. Owners also hold the bill for outstanding loans, contracts, materials, utilities and other expenses. Owners get what's left over...assuming, of course, they operate legally with good ethics and morals. From all the good things I've read about the company, it does seem they did what they could considering the hole they dug. It wouldn't surprise me if the owners took out personal loans or additional mortgages to cover shortfalls in operating budgets and payroll.
This is assuming that they laid people off because they are closing down. We laid people off where I work this summer, but we are far from closing down. In fact, almost everyone is back and we're getting busy again. Maybe they just were overstocked in inventory and needed to take a break from production.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #47  
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM
RBachman's Avatar
RBachman RBachman is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Coastal SC
Posts: 181
Default

Originally Posted by Dan B View post
This is assuming that they laid people off because they are closing down. We laid people off where I work this summer, but we are far from closing down. In fact, almost everyone is back and we're getting busy again. Maybe they just were overstocked in inventory and needed to take a break from production.
Dan, I agree, but it seems that they laid off everyone and there's been no reporting about a comeback...that I've seen, anyway. Maybe it's a reorganization? Maybe they are going to have the machines assembled elsewhere? Maybe they are selling out?

Regardless, it's getting very interesting in what the future holds for them. Have dealers started liquidating their stock? That may be an indication as well.

__________________
Dig unto others as you would have others dig unto you.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #48  
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM
marcomo marcomo is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
and keep on finding' good stuff!..you can get a "private yard" permission,go in with a "tesoro" "compadre" ($160.00) and "clean it out!" what do you need a equinox 800 for? ($900.00).

(h.h.!)
j.t.
The Compadre is a niche detector that can do certain things very well. It excels in a carpet of nails scenario. It's also excellent at getting up cozy to metal poles.

But cleaning out a yard is not one of the aforementioned niches. Not unless nothing coin sized is deeper than about 4-4.5 inches.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #49  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:32 PM
jmaryt jmaryt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
Mine did fair well in tests and in the field. Easy to use not complicated for sure and priced right. And they have their places and uses, but unfortunately when you can drive a corvette for ford focus prices..... again it does not surprise me what happened. I think their is a possibility another might go the same way in the future.
i see your point,but consider this: your average tesoro is around $250.00 your equinox 800 is $899.00 that's quite a price disparity,but i think you are comparing the nox's price to lets say,a ctx 3030.if so,i can see your point!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #50  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
jmaryt jmaryt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Dan B View post
This is assuming that they laid people off because they are closing down. We laid people off where I work this summer, but we are far from closing down. In fact, almost everyone is back and we're getting busy again. Maybe they just were overstocked in inventory and needed to take a break from production.
this is what i believe! eliminate overstock,reduce employment,reduce costs,and then begin again,more "streamlined",and more fit to compete! this will (eventually) allow them to set aside money for research,and design of "new"
detectors.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #51  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:50 PM
jmaryt jmaryt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by marcomo View post
The Compadre is a niche detector that can do certain things very well. It excels in a carpet of nails scenario. It's also excellent at getting up cozy to metal poles.

But cleaning out a yard is not one of the aforementioned niches. Not unless nothing coin sized is deeper than about 4-4.5 inches.
yes! you are right! i stand corrected!.what i really meant to say was go in with a tesoro "mojave",and clean it out!.the point is that just about any "low cost" detector that will penetrate down to the 7" or 8" level should be able to do that,thus saving the user a "considerable" amount of money due to price disparity.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #52  
Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM
woodbutcher's Avatar
woodbutcher woodbutcher is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana county, Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,659
Default

With first Texas and Garrett taking over the lower and midrange market it’s kinda hard for companies to compete.Not saying they’re better than tesoro,but just a more common name in detecting..
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #53  
Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,993
Default

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
analog v.l.f. design is still a viable platform.a man who detects with a single tone detector,and "knows" that detector,and what that detector is telling him,is a formidable adversary afield. multi-tones,v.i.d.screens are NOT needed by the astute tesoro user. the "nuances" of the unit tell him what he needs to know.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
But...bbbbut...multi freq, latest greatest, cordless, top of the heap.....

lol, if I were in the market for a detector today, I'd buy a Tesoro. I've never owned one that needed repaired (short of my DeLeon and a broken wire I fixed myself).

I laugh at people who think ML put Tesoro in this position. Look at the obvious....old man dies, brothers run company into dirt. It's that simple, mismanagement.

Employees should buy company if they have faith in it, if not, they were simply collecting a check. Go find another job, it's a booming economy.

Maybe someone overseas will buy it, and then the Tesoro name will gain popularity with some.

__________________
Tesoro (Detector of the Master Race): Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #54  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM
jmaryt jmaryt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Originally Posted by Gauntlet View post
But...bbbbut...multi freq, latest greatest, cordless, top of the heap.....

lol, if I were in the market for a detector today, I'd buy a Tesoro. I've never owned one that needed repaired (short of my DeLeon and a broken wire I fixed myself).

I laugh at people who think ML put Tesoro in this position. Look at the obvious....old man dies, brothers run company into dirt. It's that simple, mismanagement.

Employees should buy company if they have faith in it, if not, they were simply collecting a check. Go find another job, it's a booming economy.

Maybe someone overseas will buy it, and then the Tesoro name will gain popularity with some.
i love my tesoro "mojave", but for a "particular" reason!..i exclusively hunt sidewalk easements,and concentrated tot lot areas,plus sidewalk '" tear outs"
i believe they are a "blast" to use under those circumstances. i think tesoro will stick around because there is still a lot of people who like the simple one tone
analog design..hope they can solve this dilemma,and stay in business.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #55  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Gauntlet's Avatar
Gauntlet Gauntlet is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South of Graceland
Posts: 2,993
Default

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
i love my tesoro "mojave", but for a "particular" reason!..i exclusively hunt sidewalk easements,and concentrated tot lot areas,plus sidewalk '" tear outs"
i believe they are a "blast" to use under those circumstances. i think tesoro will stick around because there is still a lot of people who like the simple one tone
analog design..hope they can solve this dilemma,and stay in business.
I'm with ya man, and I hope you're right......

__________________
Tesoro (Detector of the Master Race): Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola with GB mod, and Compadre (with coil swap and 3-D mods).
Fisher: 1265X

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Reply With Quote


  #56  
Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 PM
marcomo marcomo is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 14
Default

I'm sure a lot of issues have contributed to Tesoro's demise. And demise is all but assured, even if the doors aren't completely closed yet. No way Tesoro continues under current ownership, the only possibility where I can see the name continuing is if another manufacturer buys and produces detectors under the Tesoro banner.

But the biggest overriding issue is Tesoro has been a company trying to market their product in the 21st century with 20th century techniques. Not a recipe for success for any company, but especially for a company that deals in electronics and technology.

Somebody mentioned Tesoro not embracing social media, the truth is they never figured out how to even semi-effectively use the internet. It wasn't that long ago when I was reading stories again and again of users complaining that the company wouldn't answer their emails.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #57  
Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM
Dan B Dan B is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Windsor Ontario
Posts: 222
Default

I threw this idea out on another forum. What if DeepTech took over the Tesoro name? It would bring them a bigger market share in North America, Tesoro owners would get new features they've been asking for, and the Tesoro employees could continue working building DeepTech machines rebranded for NA with the Tesoro name.

Of course, who are we to make anything happen, but it would be interesting to see. And as a consumer, we would still have great "beep and dig" options.

Dan
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.