Typhoon Fitow & Danas (Update...we are about to get Blasted)

onthespot

Elite Member
Typhoon Fitow should hit us in the next 18 hours, it is currently a Cat 1 but they are calling for it to be upgraded to a Cat 2 by the time it hits Okinawa, winds 96-110 MPH. We have been upgraded to TCORR-2 at 7am this morning. Not a big one by Okinawa standards, but big enough to ruin the great low tides we have this weekend! Hopefully, we get some sand stripped off a beach or two. You can`t see it in this shot, but a second one is right behind this one and will hit in 2 days after this one moves through. They are calling for it to also be a Cat 2 with winds over 100 MPH.

I am at the little red pin in the second photo!

Attachments

• Fitow.jpg
    Fitow.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 301
  • Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 2.25.29 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 2.25.29 PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 303
Be safe..... then clean up those beaches and show us what it is like with some sandless beaches!

Cliff

I know you say Japan is prepared for these storms but you might not be able to hunt. The beaches will push up sand into the roads and prevent it. If you can't get to the beach you can't hunt. I remember the guys in NJ who were hoping Sandy would help their beaches get better. Then the beaches were all closed down because they could not access those areas. The roads were all pretty much destroyed. Hope you keep power and have a smooth time on these storms. Sounds like you are in for a blow. If you get to the beach in the next week do not be surprised that there is NO low tide. It will stay mid to high tide for a while.

I hear what you saying, but Okinawa is nothing like NJ. We have sand, but not like NJ, most everything here is reef and coral. Some of the resorts bring in white beach sand every year at the start of the season, but by the end of the season (because of the typhoons) it is usually striped back down. And this storm is sustained winds at at 50 mph with gust up to 70Mph. We had a Super Typhoon last year with winds over 150 MPH and I did not encounter one road that was closed, even right on the beach. Only damaged it caused at my location was a new A/c unit that was installed 2 days before got riped of the roof. It was the only one of the 17 new units that we lost. If NJ Had a storm with 150 MPH winds, NJ would be gone!

You guys are having all the fun this year. It's been a totally pathetic season in the Atlantic for those of us who enjoy a good storm. Stay safe and then go get the goodies.

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

Typhoon Fitow moved thru Saturday with a lot of heavy rain and some wind gust to to 60 mph. Was able to get out for 4 hours on Sunday afternoon with Harpa. The beach we ended up at the life guards would only let us hunt up to our knees in the water, so we made the best of it. I came home with 2,700 yen and two silver pieces, Harpa did about the same.

I went to bed Sunday with typhoon Danas supposedly hitting at 6 pm on Monday as a Cat 1, but that was not the case Monday morning, seems it has grown over night and it is now a Cat 4 with sustained winds of 135 mph with gust over 155 mph. Right now they are calling for a direct hit, with the eye coming directly over us in the next 8 hours. They are also saying there is a good chance that it will grow into a Cat 5 shortly. We are preparing to get Blasted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 103
Looks like I'm getting blasted at 3am on Wed.........

Take care and lets hope the treasure gets exposed nicely.

PTCC (Pacific Tropical Cyclone Center)Just reported its a Super Typhoon now!

"#DANAS has unexpectedly intensified into a Super Typhoon... Max sustained wind speed near the centre up to 185 km/h"

Back
Top Bottom