Silver Plated Flat Button?

Danny T

Elite Member
This is about the size of a quarter. Both sides have no markings. Has anyone ever had knowledge of a flat button with silver only on the front? Thanks for any expertise from the collective group . . .

Attachments

• Flat Button Back.JPG
    Flat Button Back.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,739
  • Flat Button Front.JPG
    Flat Button Front.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2,371
I found a flat button exactly like that. Definetly a silver plated, and probably early 1800s! Way cool!:yes:

if it has no backmark at all its probably even earlier maybe late 1770's to 1800 I find most of mine at sites dated to around then

Ok - if it is not a tombac button then what kind is it?

copper or brass alloy with a layer of silver plating.

Tombacs have to have at least one or more of the following characteristics

a uniform gun metal to silver color on front an back
a small blob or "turret" raised area under the shank
or a spun or "turned" look to the back

here is a few examples

Attachments

• tombacs.jpg
    tombacs.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,865

here is a few examples

Thanks for the info copper head!

yeah he nailed the tombac description ... they are copper and tin with a high % of tin and that is why they shine so much

My post has raised some questions and led me to do some research. I found this site on button preservation -----

http://www.wetreasures.com/treasures/feature/201202.htm

And here is an excerpt from the page that deals with tombac . . .

<Tombac buttons are named for the metal they're made from, an alloy of copper and zinc. They come out of the ground with a silvery or gunmetal colored shine. Tombac is brittle, and these buttons are often broken rather than bent by the plough. They can also be identified by the fact that their backs appear turned, as though made on a lathe; and their shanks are made of brass and applied as a separate piece to their backs. Due to their coloration, some detectorists confuse them with pewter or even silver buttons.>

So, if mine is not tombac and I have confused it for silver, perhaps it is silver. I will learn how to test for silver and see. Note: it is an extremely thin veneer of shiny material on the front, the entire back is another material all-together, perhaps brass? There is no evidence of turning on the back and there is no maker's mark. This has been an interesting learning experience so far. Anyone interested in my continuation of this thread?

This may be a better representation of a Tombac . . .

Note the back is made of the same material and the shank is brass and applied as in the article I posted.

I am really beginning to think Pacivailwarluke had it right the first time, but only metal testing will prove it.

Attachments

• buttontombac7.jpg
    buttontombac7.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,466

here is a few examples

Thanks for the input! Not only did I enjoy finding the button, but learning about these different types is the icing on the cake. You da BEST!

Back
Top Bottom