• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How do you guys find old places to metal detect.

mindspike

I was thinking, is it possible to find old maps or something that would layout where houses used to be at? I've saw a lot of people on here out in some random part of the hills and finding old coins and stuff.

I'd like to know where old houses used to be so maybe I could metal detect some on them.

Not many people metal detect around here so I know if I could find a good spot then I would find quite a bit of stuff.

Head to your local library & check out the atlas maps from the 1880's......most libraries has a copy of maps from that time period.

Just compare them to current maps & good luck...........see ya yardhunter

i take the old maps and overlay in goggle earth
just learned how to do it about a month ago but it sure is fun
especially when you find the place and find something good
curtis

Try and locate a nearby MD'ing club, if possible. Members always have spots they believe have been hunted out. Thru our club members, I have access to Civil War, Revolutionary War and old home sites which would be unaccessible without their help.

All of these answers are good but one I didn't see was your local historical society. In my opinion that is the BEST place to start. Good luck

If you can find a free source Sanborn maps are a great source for locating houses and buildings at about 1900. Some topographic maps will have a dot or small square for locations of houses, barns and other outbuilding in rural areas. The best source is talking to the old timers in your town, generally they know where the best chance for a forgotten cache might be, they will probably know who owns the property now and may introduce you to the owner.

The two best places to look are you local historical society, mentioned above and the local history section of your county library. One or both will have old maps that you'll be able to search.:D

Merry Christmas.

HH

Try "My Topo Historical Topographic Maps" and also type in "Ghost towns of" your state, county or area of your state: NC, SW, etc... Some high school history classes have their own on-going online historical site, many of which are outstanding. Just punch in the name of the high school and see if it is listed. Most county historical societies in my area have thier own online sites which are great sources of information.

I use historicaerials.com and google earth.
I take a screen shot on historic aerials and overlay it
on google earth.

Then if I find a point of interest, I program it's
coordinates into my gps.

On both of these web sites you can step back in time
to see changes in the geography and likely places to hunt.

Also, the more people I talk to about the hobby, the more leads
I get for potential hunting spots.

I use historicaerials.com and google earth.
I take a screen shot on historic aerials and overlay it
on google earth.

Then if I find a point of interest, I program it's
coordinates into my gps.

On both of these web sites you can step back in time
to see changes in the geography and likely places to hunt.

Also, the more people I talk to about the hobby, the more leads
I get for potential hunting spots.

Historic aerials overlays for you? If you set overlay and compare.

buy a garmin MapSource 3.02 edition off of ebay and download it to your computer and it will show lots of old schools and lost and forgotten towns in your area. let us know on here where you are from maybe someone could point you in the right direction

U.S. Geological Survey quadrangle maps from the early 1900s are about the most accurate and detailed of any maps i have used for research.
Overlaying them on Google Earth will take you right to where the sites are.
Google Earth even allows the overlays to be faded in and out to get a better idea of where the exact locations are.

here's a sample that shows the accuracy of the USGS maps, and shows where a couple of homes once stood.

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 612
  • sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 619
  • sample3.jpg
    sample3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 621
I use Google Earth, Sanborn maps, historicaerials, historicmapworks, etc but I've never tried to overlay an aerial from historicaerials onto Google Earth. How exactly do you do that? Sounds handy

Back
Top Bottom