Another Fantastic Week! 18kt Montgomery Bros, Los Angeles Old Gold! 10kt 1959 Class Ring! Lots of Silver!

Raphis

Elite Member
Hello Friends!

Let's face it. We all enjoy digging up silver in any form, but the sight of gold is a beautiful thing, no doubt. This week, I had a blast digging the gold and silver! I made it out to the turf once this week, and the beaches 3 times.

For my one turf hunt, I got out on Saturday with my buddy, Jason(Jamflicker), to a few pounded parks in Los Angeles. I got off to a really slow start. It took 3 hrs just to find my first wheat penny. I actually found a buffalo nickel before my first wheat. I think that was the first time I have ever done that. :lol: Shortly after finding that first wheat, things started to heat up for me. My first piece of silver was actually a silver button topper, a first for me. Then the silver coinage started coming. I managed to dig 6 silver dimes, which seemed nearly impossible with how my day started. It was a long day, and I'm still sore from the marathon hunt!

My 3 beach hunts were fantastic!! The first of these hunts, I struck gold and silver! The gold is a 10kt, 1959 class ring. The letter "K" is all I know for a high school, and I couldn't find any high schools in my area that start with the letter K. I will probably go to the ring manufacturer's web site and contact them to see if they have records back to 1959. The ring was very deep...around 16+ inches along the low tide zone. Also pictured is a large gold heart which I will test this week when I get my gold test kit. It weighs in at 7.4 grams, and looks promising. There was no corrosion on it when I dug it from the depth of the sand/saltwater. I scratched it on top, and didn't see any copper underneath. I also got a number of silver coins, which included a 1929 SLQ, a couple buffalo nickels, and some silver jewelry. It was just a very satisfying hunt. The second hunt, I ended up finding a big cookie coin, and after a lot of soaking and chipping off the crust, it turned out to be a '36 Walker Half (my 14th silver half this year). Also found were a few pieces of gold filled jewelry, and a handful of wheat pennies, in addition to a 1906 Indian penny. The third beach hunt was another golden hunt. I started off with a silver Washington, War Nickel pocket spill, followed by a bunch of wheat pennies, and a few more pieces of silver jewelry, and a Mercury dime. I was swinging my coil along the low tide line when I heard the faintest of signals on my PI machine. I started digging, and got down to around the 17" mark....I pointed my coil down to the bottom of the hole, and heard a loud signal...I made one final scoop of sand, dumped the sand on my pile, and I saw a flash of gold. I couldn't believe it. Beautiful, shiny, untarnished. I knew it was higher karat. I held it in my hand, and saw there was three different stampings inside the ring. The first stamp was "18 Kt"!! :cool12: The second stamp said "Montgomery Bros Los Angeles". The third stamp was a maple leaf. After that recovery I was done for the day!! I got back home and started researching the maker's mark on that ring. I couldn't believe it! I had found a ring from the first jewelry store ever in Los Angeles....Montgomery Bros, founded in 1881, touted as the "Tiffany's" of the West Coast. I read up on the Montgomery brothers, James and George, and learned that James, the oldest brother was born in Ontario, Canada. Then I understood the Maple leaf stamping on the ring. I think the company closed business in 1930, after many successful decades. They grew and became the largest jewelry store on the West coast in 1899. It was fun doing the research on this ring find, however, I have not been able to find another piece of jewelry with this maker's mark on it anywhere online. The Montgomery Bros also were silversmiths and worked on many clocks too, and engraved clock parts with their makers mark back in the day. The ring weighs in at 4.2 grams. I'm really happy about that find, the age of the ring, and its significance to Los Angeles, where I grew up.

All in all, it was another great week of turf and surf. I surpassed my last year's silver coin totals, and am now at 550, FTY. I also added a really nice piece of gold to my collection. The light at the end of the 600 tunnel is growing brighter, and some nice gold has been surfacing also for me these past few weeks. What year it has been, and it's not over yet!

Thanks for looking!
Good Luck to Everyone! :thumbsup:

HH,
Raphis
Dan

IMG_2295_sm.jpg

IMG_2297_sm.jpg

MontgomeryBros_Ring.jpg

1910 Pic of Montgomery Bros, Los Angeles
MontgomeryBros_1910.jpg

MontgomeryBros_1899.jpg

IMG_2299_sm.jpg

Very nice to find a relic which you can place a date on.
Even more thrilling that it is gold.
Incredible finds out there:shock:

Congrats on another killer week Dan! Saturday was fun and glad to see you turn the day around after your slow start. It's about time you got a test kit for your precious metals sign I'm sure there's more to come from that new spot of yours.

Awesome week i would say! That was some nice detective work to post pics of the actual store it came from, thanks for putting the time in to your post, and CONGRATS!

I was actually going to start a thread asking people how many halves they have found this season. I figured the most would be around a half dozen. I found my second last week. I just can't imagine fourteen !!! What fun for you !

Love that you came with the history with the Montgomery Gold Ring Dan . What a fantastic year you are having not only in the turf but also in the surf. Impressive is a understatement my friend. Congrats on another great week of recoveries of Gold, Silver and Relics. Your treasure chest is over flowing. Jack

Wow Dan, great digs man and great pics! awesome oldies for sure! Like that 18k Monty bro's ring! :waytogo:

Very nice to find a relic which you can place a date on.
Even more thrilling that it is gold.
Incredible finds out there:shock:
Thanks for the reply, Mat! The site of gold sitting on a pile of dirt or your sand pile is quite the rush!

That some sweet digs. That walker looks burnt up. Salt as done a number on it.
Thanks, RT6! Yes, the Walker is toast! It is a nearly a few grams of silver on the light side.

:wow:

That the best you could do?

:lol:

Man, I should just hang up my hat if I wasn't crazy ;)

Congrats - killer hunt!
It's the best I can do for now, GS! :lol: Who knows...I just swing my coil, and dig where my coil tells me to...:D

Congrats on another killer week Dan! Saturday was fun and glad to see you turn the day around after your slow start. It's about time you got a test kit for your precious metals sign I'm sure there's more to come from that new spot of yours.
Thanks, Jason! Yes, another good outing last Saturday from some really tough parks. I think we both broke some personal records for longest wheat holdouts...:lol: Test kit is coming this week...I finally could use one now!

Another incredible week...as alway....enjoyed your post and pics
Thanks for the reply, JNimons! Continued success!

Awesome week i would say! That was some nice detective work to post pics of the actual store it came from, thanks for putting the time in to your post, and CONGRATS!
Thanks for the reply, Zee! Yeah, this old ring required a little more research and presentation...It's cool to link history with a nice find!

I was actually going to start a thread asking people how many halves they have found this season. I figured the most would be around a half dozen. I found my second last week. I just can't imagine fourteen !!! What fun for you !
Thanks, Wom! Yeah, 14 silver halfs (9 Walkers, 4 Franklins, 1 '64 Kennedy) so far this year, with an added Morgan dollar! This year has been my best silver half year from the previous 9 years of hunting. I think in 2012, I found 11 or 12 silver halfs.

Great finds as usual Dan!!!
Thanks for the reply, buddy! :thumbsup: Good luck down there!

Super hunt ! Congrats on the yellow and all those silvers....continued success to you...HH !
Thanks for the reply, arw40. Good luck on your next hun!

Been to the corner of 3rd and spring streets many a time. :laughing:
Although it was way after that store was gone.
Very cool, jackdaniels. I've been there too...I had a summer job many years ago in downtown LA.

Stunning hunt and the gold is the icing on the cake. Nice!
Thanks for the reply, Dirtydog! I wish I Could find that icing more often. :lol:

Great finds as usual you seem to always out do yourself and with your finds that is hard to do. Congrats.

George
Thanks for the reply, George! Detecting is like fishing...some days you catch them...some days you don't. Lately, I'm getting skunked fishing-wise. It has been a long time (knock on wood) that I had a skunk detecting day.

Love that you came with the history with the Montgomery Gold Ring Dan . What a fantastic year you are having not only in the turf but also in the surf. Impressive is a understatement my friend. Congrats on another great week of recoveries of Gold, Silver and Relics. Your treasure chest is over flowing. Jack
Thanks for the reply, Jack! Glad you enjoyed the pics and info on the Monty Bros. I never expected all this gold to start coming in....and old gold too. The flood gates have opened...:D

Back
Top Bottom