Question about ring hunting

Top row gold, second row silver and the rest other metals.
This pic was from 3 years ago...since then I have found about 20 more gold rings, a ton of silver rings and a whole bunch more junk rings.
All found on land, all found with several different detectors the bulk of them were found with my lowest end units.

Unless you are going super deep most detectors will find most rings if you have the skills.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1406637416814.jpg
    PicsArt_1406637416814.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 119
use a nickel. bury it about 5 inches deep. make sure the machine can see the nickel. if its not trashy run no discrimination. dig it all. but if the machine can see a nickel it should see the ring. Vlad is right on if you have all metal capability. and i bet you find yourself some goodies too!

wish you luck, makes a great story and a warm fuzzy one at that! :lol:

Alot of machines won't touch a fresh burried nickel at 5 inches,not sure if the pro will or not.I know a eurotek pro will hit a fresh burried nickel at 7 inches in my PA soil,I've done it.

Top row gold, second row silver and the rest other metals.
This pic was from 3 years ago...since then I have found about 20 more gold rings, a ton of silver rings and a whole bunch more junk rings.
All found on land, all found with several different detectors the bulk of them were found with my lowest end units.

Unless you are going super deep most detectors will find most rings if you have the skills.

Digger ---- Where'd you get the display case? Looks custom built.

WOW. Thirty bucks? That's worth it. My ring count is up to 35 or so ---- want to display them. Thanks,Bud.

DIGGER said:

I'm going back out tomorrow and planning for a long hunt. I will be getting to the part of the field where my gut says it's most likely at. This is based on my tractor driving and the hillside slope and what I can see happened.

This time I'm also going to take an old ring and see what it rings in at and depth. The ground is fairly soft for the first 5-6" but then dry and very hard. One piece of wire was deep in the hard clay and my hand digger wasn't too good there.

As I went up and down the slope, I kicked a trail every few feet so I had a good feeling for overlapping the last path. I probably missed some ground but I didn't miss much. Slow progress but I want to find it on the first try.

I can add this,and this is MY personal experience with EVERY ring I've found that is actually a valuable metal. Using an IDX Pro with concentric coils,the rings I've found had a SHORT and HARD report for the signal. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the ring is open in the center and therefore alters the quality of the tone. EVERY one I've dug has this SOLID AND ABRUPT quality to the tone. A nice "round" coin signal ramps up and ramps down as you swing across the target. Think of those ramps being,say,30 degrees in angle. The "ramps" on the rings I've dug with the IDX Pro are STEEP,say,80 degrees. Follow me? It comes on quick and leaves quick,but it is solid also. Also,the pinpoint has been tighter than a coin signal. All the rings I've dug have had this quality,and as a matter of fact,with the IDX I pretty much know it's a ring or ring shaped item before I dig. Some had settings,some just a plain hoop,they ALL did the same thing. That tonal quality is melted into my brain. Apparently not every ring will possess this trait but I haven't dug one otherwise,so I don't know. FWIW....

Kevin

I hunt with my father in law and he swings an MXT Pro and I swing a garrett at pro. Mine will hit small gold better than his. I have dug iffy signals with the AT Pro where he wasn't getting anything. Could be all in the settings but I am pretty sure the AT Pro is a higher frequency than the Whites MXT Pro. A guy in our club has dug over 50 rings in 2 months on dry land using an AT Pro. With that being said, he dug every single tone he got even if it sounded like trash. He could have used a compadre and probably done the same thing if he was just digging it all. But I know the AT Pro loves the small stuff and will sound off on it.

Good luck out there.
G2M

I pulled my old HS class ring and another ring I got overseas (slightly smaller) out of the junk drawer along with some silver coins. I will be doing some testing in the ground I'm hunting. Going in a couple of hours for a long afternoon. I'll be there until I find it or can't see, which ever comes first!!

No cigar after another 6 hrs!!

I'm about 3/4 done now. It's a bigger area than I originally thought. Looks like 80' by about 150++yds long, possibly 200 yds (I need to take my lazer out there!!). If I don't find anything (ring) on the first pass, I will go between my first tracks. I marked my path as I went so going between them should be fairly easy. I should have cleared the trash on the first pass too so I won't be dealing with that.

It's somewhat surprising how much iron can collect in 100+++ years of farming. Also odd that some is still right on the surface and some is down in the hard layer.

Usually I'm finding fairly easy digging in the top 5-6" of dirt and then hit a very hard layer. I'm guessing the ring is in the hard layer since it's heavier. Pure clay.

Completed nearly all of it and have not found it. I will make a second pass between my first one to get as much coverage as I can going up and down the slope. At this point, I think the coverage is betwee 60-70%??

It's complicated by tall wheat stubble. Part of the area it's near impossible to get the coil closer tha 6-8" from the ground. I have still picked up steel target in that stuff. I think the ring is deep and 6" above ground isn't finding it.

After/if a second pass doesn't find it, I will go at a 90 degree search from the first. Horizontal on the hill is very hard. You are then at 90 degrees from the stubble rows and swinging across them as well as trying to stay in a straight line. Going up and down gives some chance to drop the coil into the row gap.

I've dug every hit. That will also tell me if my coverage wasn't good. If I find any steel I missed.... then I missed an area. Second pass will be faster since I won't be marking my trail.

Back
Top Bottom