Hunt 4, Ring #5, this one is silver!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Started the silver ring run this year. Right about on time. (I usually pull approximately 1 silver ring for every 4-5 junkers).

This one must have been a teacher's ring, as it's quite large (size 12!). It rang up at an 83/84 on the AT PRo. Dolphin ring, had a bit of a run in with something, but a mandrel, jewelers hammer and a nice polishing wheel had it back in shape in no time (pun intended).

Also pulled $8.57, which was darn close to yesterday's hunt. Same 2 hours and 20 minutes of hunting, too. This one, though, I found three dollar coins (which was awesome... 2 were in the same hole!)

Next up... more junkers probably. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_4027.jpg
    IMG_4027.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_4028.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_4030.jpg
    IMG_4030.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_4031.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_4032.jpg
    IMG_4032.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 397
Congrats on the sterling, it seems those rings just stick to your coil. lol I dug a dolphin ring very similar to that one last year. How do you clean your silver ? Good luck Mark

Nice job Skippy, you do well up there, need to get a fingernail brush :laughing: sorry, just messing with ya!

Have one in the shower. I hadn't showered after the hunt, yet, in the photo. They're now nice and purty.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpg
    IMG_4033.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 351
Congrats on the sterling, it seems those rings just stick to your coil. lol I dug a dolphin ring very similar to that one last year. How do you clean your silver ? Good luck Mark

I use a 4" rotary cloth buffer on the end of a drill, wiped with silver polish first.

then I put a nitrile glove on the left hand, and hold the ring. (The glove protects my hand from the black oxidation of the polish, it doesn't hurt if you bump the cloth with exposed skin... sometimes I'm in a hurry and I'll just buff it, but then I have to scrub my hands later).

I squeeze the electric drill's switch with the right hand(placed on a table in my garage), then I just buff the ring. Takes about 10-15 seconds is all.

I got it at Harbor Freight for less than $4. They basically never wear out. I've polished many hundreds of rings with it. I actually have two of them, one for the silver polish, and one for the rouge red clay compound. The second is a smaller 2" wheel that is a bit more compact and takes the rouge clay/compound better. I use that mostly for finishing work on my cast rings.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-buffing-wheel-34743.html

image_17472.jpg

Edit: Please note, when you do this high of a shine, the pictures often come out looking like there is corrosion on bits of the ring, due to reflection of dark space in the room you're taking pictures in, or inside any natural small pits in the metal (due to bumping scraping during wear). There's nothing on the ring, in my above pictures, for example, but it may look like the ring isn't solid silver, has bits of base material showing, etc... It's just a trick of the light. It totally is gorgeous; it is just so polished that the surface reflects everything. :)

As an example, below is a ring that my father and I made, last week, and just after the polish/shine bit. you can totally see him standing in the apron, and me holding the phone. That's what I mean by high shine. If the ring had any imperfections or dimples, they'd show up as dark spots in a photo like this. That picture is just one that I took of his whole hand, and I zoomed in and screen captured for this conversation.

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpg
    IMG_4034.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 340
Skip, thanks for the info and tip. I have a couple of rings that could use a good polish. HH Mark

If you don't want to go get the wheel, you can also just wrap a cotton cloth along the shaft of a large drill bit. The result will be a fast spinning "buffing cloth" for smooth rings, it works like a charm. It won't quite get into the crevices the wheel will, but 99% of the time it'll work just fine. I used to do it this way. For a little extra "help" polishing using the cloth/drill bit method, add some cleaner car wax to the cloth. It'll make for a nice polish. :)

you can see it here in an old video I made:

here's the link if the video above doesn't play.
https://youtu.be/BzxcsDgAeOg

Cheers,

Skippy

Have one in the shower. I hadn't showered after the hunt, yet, in the photo. They're now nice and purty.

Ah, balance has returned to the universe, thanks! :lol:

I wear gloves but dang if my nails still don’t manage to have dirt under them after a hunt. Little odd at work if I do a lunch hour hunt then have afternoon meetings :laughing:

If you don't want to go get the wheel, you can also just wrap a cotton cloth along the shaft of a large drill bit. The result will be a fast spinning "buffing cloth" for smooth rings, it works like a charm. It won't quite get into the crevices the wheel will, but 99% of the time it'll work just fine. I used to do it this way. For a little extra "help" polishing using the cloth/drill bit method, add some cleaner car wax to the cloth. It'll make for a nice polish. :)

you can see it here in an old video I made:

here's the link if the video above doesn't play.
https://youtu.be/BzxcsDgAeOg

Cheers,

Skippy
I enjoyed the video very much thank you077.jpg

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Nice restoration work on the ring skippy.

Thanks. It's one of my favorite parts of the hobby. I don't mind at all when I get a badly bent ring. I had 5 banded ring that was NAILED by a lawnmower. It took 40 minutes of work, but I got that silver back in shape enough that my mom saw it, and made it a daily wear. Those are the challenging ones. Just crushed? no problem.

Skippy

Well done skippy, that ring cleaned up nicely! I should get myself one of those mandrels, they're not expensive and seem to work quite well! :)

Yeah, but I did it in a FRIENDLY way. :) LOL

Very funny that you picked up on it. I did it totally as a joke, and wondered if it was too subtle. Thanks for making me laugh. :laughing:

I completely agree ! That was the nicest finger ever given :laughing: little things like this keep a cooped up man sane! :lol: keep up the good work sir! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom