3rd hunt of the year - Rings #2, #3, and #4! Plus a half dollar.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I had a VERY productive 2 hours and 20 minutes this afternoon. Went down the street to a charter school that I've held off from hunting all year. Gridded the bark lot (now "frozen bark lot") and the soccer field behind the school.

Landed $8.74, (more than $5 in quarters, 2 dollar coins, and a half dollar, too!) and 3 rings.

First one was a Lord of the Rings Ring of Power. Made me laugh, because it was corroded everywhere but the INSIDE of the lettering, which made the letters glow pretty cool, when I pulled it out. Didn't even bother photographing that, when I pulled it. The very next pull, I hit a 90 signal, and nailed a 1972 Kennedy Half dollar, then about 20 minutes later, I pulled the 6 stone ring, that had me briefly wondering if it was legit (it's not, but a pretty ring for one of my nieces, anyway). And then I finished the rings off about an hour later with a 46 signal that turned out to be a stainless steel spinner.

So... 3rd hunt for the year, and I'm already averaging more than 1 ring a hunt. That was my average last year, too, so clearly I'm still doing something right in 2018. :) Now... If my 8% average holds true, I'll have a gold in the first 12 rings, and at least 1-2 silvers, too. We shall see!

One thing is for sure, though, winter digging is TOUGH. Fortunately, only the top inch of soil is frozen, and the Lesche cuts clean triangle flaps that pop up. It's a butt to dig deep, though... can hardly wait for next week when I'll be on the beach in Israel. :)

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_4010.jpg
    IMG_4010.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4023.jpg
    IMG_4023.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 152
Well, you know what they say "A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the office"
Or something like that.
Congratulations on getting out and digging some goodies:D

Congrats in keeping the amazing average going. Hope your tip is great. Didn't you come home with dome super old souvenirs the last time you went?! Look forward to future posts.

Dang that's sort of cruel digging in that frozen tundra and hitting 3 junkers. I guess land hunting ratio is about the same as the beach. Seems like I dig about 12 junker rings for every one gold there too:roll:

Congrats in keeping the amazing average going. Hope your tip is great. Didn't you come home with dome super old souvenirs the last time you went?! Look forward to future posts.

Last time to Israel, I found $160 USD worth of Shekels, and 3 rings (1 silver). The time before I found a 22K bangle, and a coin from 69AD.

I'm totally stoked to just get back into the sand. I love that style digging. It's so much more relaxing than all the kneeling squats for dirt digging.

Dang that's sort of cruel digging in that frozen tundra and hitting 3 junkers. I guess land hunting ratio is about the same as the beach. Seems like I dig about 12 junker rings for every one gold there too:roll:

Nah, not cruel at all. Metal Detecting is my little slice of heaven in an otherwise blearly winter-cruel landscape. I'm glad I can still get to the ground!

Interesting that your ratio is about the same... stands to reason, though, if that's roughly what people are wearing. I dig a LOT of schools though, and you'd think they'd all be junkers at elementary lots... but I've found plenty of gold in them...

Well, you know what they say "A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at the office"
Or something like that.
Congratulations on getting out and digging some goodies:D

Heck yeah it is. I start and finish work early each day (today had me up working at 5:30am... so a 3pm start is "doable").

I'm happy in my job, too, so there's that... but I sure do like "Play time" as I've come to call my time with Lucy. (she's my AT Pro, named by my wife, as the metal detector is my mistress. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom