A load of military Relics

HistoryStudent

This is a hunt that I did last April. Normally I use a Garrett AT Pro but on that day, I decided to try out my Tesoro Golden uMax. I had not had the machine long and I was curious to see how it performed in a nail infested site. My at pro is very chattery in this site but I had learned to live with it. However, I suspected that things were being masked by all the bent and rusty nails and was I ever right.

The Tesoro was nearly silent, so much so that I wasn't sure that it was working but it was. Things began popping up that my at pro had missed. These Relics were not hidden under bushes or in weird places. They were right out in the open and I have no doubt that I wasn't the only hunter to miss them.

f6da8b435346d82979f9d5c7859be372.jpg
f5e51431486b47f59b1ce24b2fe4fd9a.jpg
6350929f80a9608bdf63b0feea25dfad.jpg
55019d4da34d54a2c53ce56499916164.jpg
76a53afa5b0563bc2dbb9a961f7c4121.jpg
f9b45889b80ac64c9cb751aedb9a22de.jpg
2063a983e0590f7d7f4d6ecb7657e88a.jpg
5a7cffb79970b31670bd606388d363cc.jpg
2f36b12a41c9a5c0f6ca4475d8cb3688.jpg
733f04001f4d92dcbf60cd5ae469b093.jpg
bb4f90fd350d060e66a4b22cce7128e0.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nice war relic collection! Super score on the tsuba! I'd check that out and see who made it, it may be valuable, as some Japanese swords go back hundreds of years, and some makers' swords are extremely desired and valuable. GL!

I'm planning to have it evaluated. I was surprised to learn that its made of very high carbon steel. I don't think I has any rust on it but I dug it up from nearly a foot down

I don't know the exact carbon content, of course, but I spoke with a person who collects them and he said that they had to be made of high carbon steel to prevent nicks and dings in a sword fight and to prevent rust. I don't know much about metallurgy and I didn't know carbon prevented rust. I do know the hilt is surprisingly heavy for its size and it's not rusty. That's all I can tell you for sure.

Hmmmm, that's odd, the Katana that I used to have (an authentic Japanese-made one) had a brass tsuba on it. Perhaps it was owned by a higher ranking person. I wish I still had that sword, but foolishly, I sold it. :dash2::tissue:

I was told that brass was used for ceremonial swords because it was softer and it would polish up nicely but carbon steel was used for fighting swords. I thought mine was brass at first which is why he told me about the ceremonial VS fighting sword. Please understand though that I know nearly nothing about swords of any kind. I'm just quoting what I was told.

Well the addition of carbon does not make the steel rust resistant, it increases its strength. To make steel rust resistant, other metals such as chromium are added. Chrome molybdenum and chrome vanadium are two popular alloys of steel.

Generally, there are two separate categories of steel--stainless steel and carbon steel. Stainless steel does contain carbon, but is further alloyed with chromium for rust resistance. The higher the chromium content, the more rust resistance, but then you begin to lose the strength of carbon steel as you increase the chromium content.

Each blade maker tries to hit a sweet spot of chemical content along with superior heat treatment to give the blade the special characteristics required for the blade's intended purpose. Increase hardness too much and you end up with a blade that is too brittle, and will snap or chip out. High carbon steel makes excellent cutlery, but without chromium it lacks rust resistance, so you have to care for it more diligently than "stainless" steel (which, is a misnomer, as it is merely stain/rust resistant, not entirely rust proof). Blades used in marine environments, especially in salt water, generally have a higher chromium content to resist corrosion. Axes and some fine tool steels are usually high carbon, for keen edge holding and toughness. Selecting the right steel and heat treatment for the intended purpose is quite an art, and many bladesmiths jealously guard their blade making formulas.

Back
Top Bottom