Tesoro sand shark or garrett sea hunter mk2?

Pacivilwarluke

Elite Member
Somewhere between the north and the south..
I am so indecisive. After purchasing a minelab explorer se pro, my budget is down to 800 dollars. I like the sea hunters hip mount, the headphones ( I could use them on my at, and styling. But that said, I like the tesoro a lot. Lifetime warranty is big! I need to make a purchase before I head south. Any options would be greatly appreciated!:D

Between those 2, I'd take the Sea Hunter every time... Sand Shark has a nice price and warranty, but the performance isn't quite up there with the rest of the beach hunting PIs on the market (it's not far off, but not quite there)... and even the better beach PIs are a step below the best gold nugget hunting PIs like the GPX or TDI... so...

It should be between the Sea Hunter or Dual Field, for under $800. :D Most guys go with the Dual Field and love it. I ended up with the Infinium and it's a beast, I'm sure the Sea Hunter is pretty beastly also. Don't think you can go wrong with Dual Field or Sea Hunter. :D

Contact one of the forum sponsors and they will give you a great deal. DF can be had in the $700-$750 range new, Sea Hunter in the $500-$550 range after discount. Tesoro has their prices locked, so dealers can't give discounts on them...

Last edited:
I have never used either, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. They are both similarily priced, are PI mds, are waterproof, and are made for ocean mding.

sounds like you have made a decision and want us to give you a reason not to get the SS. I say jump on that SS and come on down.

Dew

Between those 2, I'd take the Sea Hunter every time... Sand Shark has a nice price and warranty, but the performance isn't up there with the rest of the beach hunting PIs on the market... and even the better beach PIs are a step below the best gold nugget hunting PIs... so...

It should be between the Sea Hunter or Dual Field, for under $800. :D Most guys go with the Dual Field and love it. I like to be different, so would probably go with Sea Hunter... I ended up going Infinium. :D

Contact one of the forum sponsors and they will give you a great deal. DF can be had in the $700-$750 range new, Sea Hunter in the $500-$550 range after discount. Tesoro has their prices locked, so dealers can't give discounts on them...

Yeah, I was in with Ed from treasuremountain with the infinium and he put me a good deal, but I can t afford the infinium..:( I wish I could, it's very versatile. Tesoro locks their prices huh? That's sad. I was also looking for a good sand scoop, but since I'm only down south for about a month, I don't really want to spend too much. I like the 720, but I don't know how economical it would be.

Here are the reasons I purchased the Sea Hunter over the Sand Shark.

As you said, changeable and upgradable headphone. Detector Pro has some new awesome headphone for the Garrett's, none for the SS.

Changeable coil, the 14 inch covers 50% more ground than the SS 10 inch coil, plus you have an 8 inch coil for tight spaces such as narrow troughs or runnels. Can't to that with a SS.

As for warranty, I have had Garrett detectors for years, many I was the second owner...never had a problem with them ever standing behind one of their products and have never been charged, even for headphones. They even sent me a new GTI 1500 that was damaged in shipping when I bought it from a private party. Garrett blamed their cardboard box and sent me a new detector. I like that kind of warranty. Sand Shark...lots of horror stories on them standing behind detectors.

The depth is awesome with the Sea Hunter, I would put it right up there with a duel field.

Mel Fisher's dive team still uses Sea Hunters and they have found over $400 Million in treasure. I am sure they are buying what they feel it the best detector that will hold up under professional treasure hunting use.

Those are the facts that sold me on the Sea Hunter and I am not sorry I bought it. Good luck with which one you choose, I am happy with my choice, so much more detector and upgradable for the same money.

I have used Tesoro SS, Dual Field, & SH & all worked about the same for me here in SWF. I like the SS coil for sliding thru the gulf water. I love PI's. The SH or the SS would work for you.

And thanks Crumble my wile saw your post and told me I have to get an infinium and see what I'm missing. I think she thinks I might be missing some bling.
Thanks

I have used Tesoro SS, Dual Field, & SH & all worked about the same for me here in SWF. I like the SS coil for sliding thru the gulf water. I love PI's. The SH or the SS would work for you.

And thanks Crumble my wile saw your post and told me I have to get an infinium and see what I'm missing. I think she thinks I might be missing some bling.
Thanks

Smart Woman! :yes:

Thanks

When the wife tells you to buy another detector, I think you should listen. Lucky man. :D

Back
Top Bottom