Silver Surprise at the Winery

Sundragon

Spent a few hours out with my daughter this afternoon. She now has her own ACE 400, so she is learning the new machine. She would usually use my PRO and I would use my Sea Hunter. The lack of audio detail took her a little getting used to. (yes I use a PI in the field).

It seemed she was using the machine to full advantage, as she has a very good grasp and knowledge of the subtleties of the PRO's audio. The ACE is simple yet there are some subtleties in the audio, she did very well assessing what the machine was telling her and generally knew what the target was.

All in all, the ACE is a pretty nice little machine, working side by each with the PRO it kept up pretty well. Iron audio is a huge plus for the ACE.

We worked hard digging the very frozen ground, (it would take 10 minutes to dig a plug)! You had to hammer at the clumps to get them to break apart,,, the coins left a perfect imprint in dirt upon breaking them apart.

Ive never hunted ground this frozen and it seemed to me like the signals were softer/weaker, VDI showed twice the depth as actual, I overdug the first few targets until I realized what was going on. (Both machines showed depth errors).

I didn't intend this to be a review of the ACE, so,,, we hunted the fields at the winery here in town. The area is used in the winter for sledding, so plenty of old clad to be found without to much slaw, presented a good environment for her to practice with the new machine.
We dug plenty of dimes and pennies as well as a few quarters and nickles.

She identified a large target and pulled out a beautiful brass "bung tap spigot".

I am swinging merrily along and then my AT Pro's control head breaks off at the mounting points, so I disconnected the headphones and taped the control head to the shaft, it was kind of hanging/dangling and I couldn't see the display.

Not having the phones and relying on the speaker, I picked a few more clad and then hit another high tone, not clean, a little raspy and had a little grunt to it. NOT expecting anything anything out of the ordinary, I drop down and pull out my pin pointer and got a hit, pulled out my Lesche and flipped out a beautiful Franklin Half!!! It was just underneath the dirt, about 1/2 inch!
All those bloody clad dimes and stinkin lincolns were all over 6 inches and this thing is sitting there just under the surface,,, go figure!

Such a nice way to spend the afternoon with my lovely daughter, she loves the thrill of the hunt!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 409
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 398
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 403
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 401
I see a future hunting companion, nothing better than father daughter time. Mine is four and a half and wouldn't trade a minute with her for anything else in this world! Great finds on top of it, what a day congrats!

Good On Ya Dad! What a great write up and hunt! Your daughter will be remembering this day!

I will also add this...You got her involved in an interesting Sport and skillset that will serve her well throughout Her life...Not many people can go out and find money...

Last edited:
Nice group of finds!

How is the 400 working out?

At least you can get out to hunt. Wish we only had a few inches on the ground like that. Got about 15 on Tuesday! :mad:

Keep up the good work!

Nice group of finds! Ben's last year as an acting coin! ;)

At least you can get out to hunt. Wish we only had a few inches on the ground like that. Got about 15 on Tuesday! :mad:

Keep up the good work!

I see a future hunting companion, nothing better than father daughter time. Mine is four and a half and wouldn't trade a minute with her for anything else in this world! Great finds on top of it, what a day congrats!

Thanks, she is 14 and has been going with me for over 2 years now.

Good On Ya Dad! What a great write up and hunt! Your daughter will be remembering this day!

I will also add this...You got her involved in an interesting Sport and skillset that will serve her well throughout Her life...Not many people can go out and find money...

She really loves it, stays focused for hours and hunts hard.

She's a tough kid too, a very accomplished rider - hunter jumper, currently training an off the track Thoroughbred.

Nice group of finds! Ben's last year as an acting coin! ;)

Keep up the good work!

I picked up the 400 in brand new conditions used from a kid off Craigs list. He just bought it, never used it and needed money quick, paid 40 cent on the dollar.
Probably going to sell it and get another Pro.
I think it will find just about anything a Pro will, just doesn't give you enough information about the target. For an entry level machine I would say it is very good.

Back
Top Bottom