So how long till you found your first old coin?

unojc

Been searching several parks the past few weeks and even an old house and no old coins yet. Just rings and clad. How long until you found your first oldy after you started? What was the feeling like?

Been searching several parks the past few weeks and even an old house and no old coins yet. Just rings and clad. How long until you found your first oldy after you started? What was the feeling like?

Define "old".

It took me a month or so to break into the 1800's. A year and a half to break into the 1700s. I have only found three coins from the 1700s. I have yet to break into the 1600s or older.

It took me well over 6 months but I was limited to modern parks. Found my first one, a silver quarter, on a permission house.

BCD.

Found a 1904 Indian Head Penny my first week with the Ace 250 in a curb strip in MA. Had to wait 2 months to find my next- an 1887 in a public park. Finally found a large cent 6 months in -also in a park. Often wonder about how much luck is required to stay optimistic out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First was a 1900 barber dime, few weeks later was a 1908 barber dime. Took months before I hit the 1800's with an IH.

Like BCK said....define "old"....a few weeks to find my first wheat. To me,old is pre-1965...oldest coin is 1844 LC.

My 28th Birthday was the end of the 1st week Oct., 1999... got my detector about a week later. Went out drinking on Halloween and the next day tried a field behind where I was living at the time and dug 3 early 1800s coins and a 1794 Halfpenny. It took maybe 2 years to hit the 1600s, and a couple after that the 1500s.

Last edited:
I guess by "old" i mean not the usual clad modern day stuff.

3 months to the day after I started I found my first wheaties a 45 and a 55.
3 months later finally my first silver coin...a 64 Rosie.
Found a couple of mercs from the 30's in my first 10 months but it took 17 months after I first picked up a detector to find my first Indian...a 1907 and my oldest coin to that point.
Breaking into the 1800's took even longer...2 years and 9 months, another Indian.
Eventually I got better, hunted better sites and older coins came more frequently.

3 years and 7 months in I found my oldest coin so far, an 1865 2 cent coin.

Now I am looking to break that record.

Every record I broke was thrilling, every new one in the future will be too.

19 days for my first wheatie, a 1944, and was most likely a recent drop, as it was in about 2" of dry sand at a beach volleyball court.

One month and 12 days later, on a permission, I hit a 1940 wheatie, and also broke into the 1800's with a 1896 IHP.

Still waiting to pop my silver (and gold) cherry.

I cannot remember my first wheatie, but I started in parks with the Ace 250, digging everything.
I do know that my first silver coin was a Rosie and it took about two years!

Just hit my first 1600s silver. Just gotta find the right sites, put in the time and dig lots of holes

My first pre 1960 coin was a silver 1947 1/4 Balboa from panama

I didn't even know that I had found silver until later when I got home. I had about 2 weeks on my Fisher F2, and pulled that from around 6 inches deep in a creek sand bar

My first 1800s coin didn't come until almost 5 years into the hobby, and I had to travel out of state to get that.

In my 6th year of detecting I finally found an 1800s coin (1853 large cent) in my county... hopefully my streak starts at one...lol

Never found a old coin with first detector. BH202.

After I got my F75 it was real soon like the 1st or second hunt. Now the AT Pro was sniffing out old coins even at the parks right off the bat. The Etrac has scored old coins on my first few hunts.

My best find was a 1853 penny dropped under a swing. Fell out of some kids pocket. It was in great shape, no cleaning needed done. I like the gold rings I find in the tot lots so make them a every day I can.

Your older silver is not so much deep as it is mixed with trash. But some is also deep. Get to know your machine, and what silver sounds like.

My first 1800's coin,an 1899 V nickel took about a year and a half...my first 1800's silver,a 1855 half dime took about two years.

no 1700 coins yet but I have dug a couple buttons from that era.

The feeling was like every "First"...."Finally!!!"...lol

Best spot to find an oldie is your own yard , under an old wash line or off the front porch . Here is hoping your in a 50s or older home đź‘Ť
Do not stress over it , just keep pulling targets . Next thing you know you will find a pocket of oldies. Got a silver ring and a silver thimbell and a merc out from under my wash line . 50s built home . A buff not far away . My front yard is full of wheaties but no silver on that side yet . As you go you will get better and better . Until then , fill that jar :) it's a blast.

I found an 1899 Barber dime on my 2nd hunt with a decent detector. Garrett AT Gold. My old detector had a learning curve I never mastered. I gave it to my 13 yr old son and of course he scored a 3 ring Minie ball and some wheaties with it with just a few hunts under his belt. I took detecting much more seriously and really started doing research on where to hunt(Internet is an incredible resource!) and when I invested some money in a decent detector. To me:
1) A good detector or better yet mastering the one you own!
2) Good solid research! Seeking permission and pulling permits.
3) Being tenacious, using your imagination and some luck!

When I got my first detector I (like almost everyone) started out in my back yard and promptly found an 1894 Barber half. I haven't found an older or better coin since then!

Back
Top Bottom