XP Deus - Identifying big iron that sounds like non-ferrous?

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Thinking back to my first go around with the Deus, I remember getting frustrated with it because I kept digging a lot of big iron that sounded good, like a non-ferrous target. I know the trick about wiggling the coil backwards and listening for the sound to change to an iron buzz as you come off of the target. Problem is, some of the areas I hunt are on the extreme side of trashy.. littered with so much iron that if you try to use the wiggle back method you'll still be on top of more iron.. So you'd get the iron buzz either way, even backing off of non-ferrous targets. Is there another method of IDing big iron in situations like this?

{Edit} I remember tnsharpshooter mentioning something about the sound of a good target ramping up differently vs a big iron target. I need to go back through those old posts and see if I can find it again.

Well,

Big iron,,can be identified.

Doesn't sound and feel tone wise the same between full tones vs multi tones.

In multitones,,big iron provides more of a honkish unpleasant tone,,does ramp up more abruptly vs nonferrous target.

Full tones,,,user likely to see a very small spot where a (almost) good sounding tone is provided.

Some static or distorted tone (inside the almost good sounding tone) will be heard. (Somewhat impure yet high tone).
Pivoting and sweeping,,,signal can turn into a low grunt signal giving the big iron away. But not all iron warp signals will change when pivoting.
Coil height may or may not give away big iron-- so no absolute here.

Pinpoint may or may not flush out big iron either,,,the biggest of big usually will though.

One note hear,,,iron rings like used back in the buggy days,,,,these likely will produce tone and will fool even an experienced Deus user most of the time.

New users,,,meter readings can provided clues as well,,,but I remind folks a good silver dollar or a half dollar could be passed by-- just a heads up.

Big iron will more than not,,provided 94 plus meter readings,,,and tone characteristics like I talked about above.

Also,,the horsehoe,,for Deus users with remote,,,,a inch of horsehoe usually means,,coins sized target shallow or a big target deeper.

Cheers.

Thanks TN.

I actually prefer full tones. I don't really have to worry about missing any low conductors at this particular site, so no problems there.

The first time around I spent a lot of time setting up custom programs according to how I *thought* things should be. Didn't work out so well because I didn't know what the heck I was doing. This time I'm going to keep it simple. The site I mentioned is blanketed with iron junk and most targets aren't very deep. So I think I'm just going to start out with Deus Fast, but with full tones and zero disc.

:cheers:

:wow:
Thanks TN.

I actually prefer full tones. I don't really have to worry about missing any low conductors at this particular site, so no problems there.

The first time around I spent a lot of time setting up custom programs according to how I *thought* things should be. Didn't work out so well because I didn't know what the heck I was doing. This time I'm going to keep it simple. The site I mentioned is blanketed with iron junk and most targets aren't very deep. So I think I'm just going to start out with Deus Fast, but with full tones and zero disc.

:cheers:

Sounds good.
I can only tell of my experiences.

I have hunted in full tones,,,and I thought I had found all Deus would find (nonferrous).

But when I raised disc to 2.5 (using 9" coil btw),, each and every target that provided tone,,was studied more closely,,,sure enough some low conductors were found.

Using disc level 2.5 with 9" coil,,,,Deus won't signal on the smallest of iron bits,,,makes the Deus more of an isolator of targets so to speak--- allows for a user to zero in and study more intensively.

I just went back and re-read your post.. At first I thought you said full tones would give the most feedback on IDing big iron by the honkish tone.. I just noticed that you said Multi-Tone.. So in that case I will try multi-tone first and see how it goes. Thanks again! :cheers:

I just went back and re-read your post.. At first I thought you said full tones would give the most feedback on IDing big iron by the honkish tone.. I just noticed that you said Multi-Tone.. So in that case I will try multi-tone first and see how it goes. Thanks again! :cheers:

I like 4 tone best. Clear tonal separation all the way to fade.

you can try loading a 4kh program if your hunting in 12 or 17 toggle it over to 4 and if the tone doesnt change its iron. now is this fool proof no I used it some when I got my machine but now I have learned it well enough the tone gives it away usally but you can try the 4 kh deal . Let us know how it works for you. I used it some it worked good and then I tried on a nine inch wheatie and the tone didnt change that I could here so I called it iron but tried it other places and sure enough it worked. just a tool not 100 fool proof one though.

Big iron is usually never a problem for me. Kinda easy to identify actually as the tone is quite different. Had to get rid of my Tesoro. That thing loved big iron. Now if it's really deep big iron it can be more of a challenge. Deep coin size pieces of can slaw and especially aluminum foil are more of a challenge for me. I'm usually pretty certain when a signal is gonna be a coin. Those deep pieces of foil type signals can sometimes be coins though

I use full tones with no disc. I listen for it. I never look at the screen.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I did a little testing in my own yard over the weekend. My home was built in 1880, and before that was another structure which burned down, so there's so much junk in the ground that most detectors will just go nuts. Figured it would be a good test for the Deus to see if it could pick out anything that I missed with my other detectors. Its been hunted previously with an F75, XLT, F2, V3i, E-trac, ATpro and CTX. As usual, with the Deus I dug a TON of sweet sounding iron. Tried both multi-tone and full tones. Then ended up switching back to the sifter program with full tones and zero disc. I remembered what Calabash said about setting up a copy of the program next door in 4K to help weed out the iron. It worked like a champ! I started checking those high tones in 4k.. If they stayed in the 90s it turned out to be iron.. But the ones that dropped down into the 80s or lower usually turned out to be non-ferrous. So that little trick seems to work great with shallow targets. Not sure how well it'll work on the deeper ones when no TID is even given. Hopefully my ears will get used to the difference in sound and I'll be able to differentiate them by tone alone eventually.

I didn't find much of anything interesting.. I did find a wheat cent that was missed by the other machines.. It was standing on edge, so I'm guessing the 18k program is what really helped me hear it. Switching down to lower frequencies made the signal disappear.

Obviously I still have a long way to go but that little tip about switching to 4k to identify iron was really helpful. Thanks to Calabash for that, and thanks to everyone else who commented here. As I get more time on the machine, I'll try the other tips as well.

Last edited:
No way a piece of big iron near the surface sounds anything like a nonferrous target. At least not to my ears in the full tones zero disc program I run. Deeper round iron sounds ok though. That iron shouldn't be a problem with a little more swing time

Last edited:
The circular ferrous ring targets,,,with hole in the middle.

These are tough,,,hard to tell and some will be dug.

But these can cause other detectors fits too.

Try this Rattle. When using the xy plot you can also move your coil from top to bottom of the target watching the plot , i only demonstrated center of target plot.

https://youtu.be/dajq0iKRDKs

Hey that's a great tip! Definitely going to try that out. Thanks man!

Quick question: Is there any quick way to toggle back and forth between the XY screen and the regular screen? Or do you always have to go back to options >> advanced?

You have to go back but once activated you don't have to hold the pinpoint and + button simultaneously anymore until you turn it off

Something else to try,,,to help you get the ear for the big iron tone provided.

Use multi tone,,and disc of say 6.0-6.5.

Doing so,,,IMO bigger iron easier to decipher tone wise.

Brash sounding,,not smooth,,abrupt.

Some thing else too,,when using full tones,,,bigger iron,,the stuff that wraps,,listen close you will likely hear some static or shudder in the middle of the almost good tone signal provided.

Vary coil sweep speed,,,don't hover,,this will make big iron sound better too,,,a nice short smooth sweep.

Turning 90 degrees using full tones,,sometimes the wrap signal acquired will turn into what I call a rolling grunt tone.

Back
Top Bottom