What is this coin?

Chipk

Elite Member
Found a very worn coin yesterday in the yard of a house built in 1909, just outside the historic district of Jacksonville Florida. Coin rang up 85-87 on the ATP.

Great hunt. Found a Chrysler hood ornament, 2 old brass locks, a 1920 wheatie and a lady's mesh coin bag that acid tested to be 10K ( see yesterday's post). But this coin has my attention. One opinion I've been given is that it may be a King Charles reale.

Sorry for the poor detail but that's the best I can offer. Any ideas.

(Picture of back in replies)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,661
Awesome find. Congrats! And spectacular ID. I'm still not sure I see it, but I believe it! Guess I need to find some older coins to gain some experience! ;)
Rich

Check this sentence out:shock:

According to Robert Vlack, this token first circulated in Georgia then in Virginia and was later used in Jamaica, and in Florida. However, as both Newman and Fuld have recently observed, no evidence has been put forth to substantiate these claims.

Well I took it to a coin dealer who could not positively identify it other than to say it was definitely a Colonial copper from the 1780s.

Good enough for me. Never thought I'd find anything that old.

Well I took it to a coin dealer who could not positively identify it other than to say it was definitely a Colonial copper from the 1780s.

Good enough for me. Never thought I'd find anything that old.

So you overlook my telling you what it is to go with a coin dealer who doesn't have a clue? And if he doesn't know how can he say that it's definitely a Colonial copper from the 1780s. That makes no sense.

Take your coin and compare it to the picture.. it's very clear.

Check this sentence out:shock:

According to Robert Vlack, this token first circulated in Georgia then in Virginia and was later used in Jamaica, and in Florida. However, as both Newman and Fuld have recently observed, no evidence has been put forth to substantiate these claims.

no evidence? Bam! itsaring you rock!
And Ironpatch is a stud !!!!!!!!!
And chipk ... You are the man !
I would like to be your agent , Off to unsolved mysteries we go šŸ˜Ž
What an amizing find if you think about it .
Talk about documenting history .
Incredible. HH , Dew

Nice find Chip!!! I know where youre taking me this time if I can get back down your way!:laughing::laughing:

So you overlook my telling you what it is to go with a coin dealer who doesn't have a clue? And if he doesn't know how can he say that it's definitely a Colonial copper from the 1780s. That makes no sense.

Take your coin and compare it to the picture.. it's very clear.

Here, here Iron Patch. Makes no sense what so ever. Once you id'd it for the guy, clear as could be. Hope for his sake he doesn't dig another "mystery coin" needing your expertise. Fantastic ID.

Here, here Iron Patch. Makes no sense what so ever. Once you id'd it for the guy, clear as could be. Hope for his sake he doesn't dig another "mystery coin" needing your expertise. Fantastic ID.

The funny part is they usually ignore the ID when it's bad news... not good! :yes:

Amazing find and ID way to go team MDF... yeah he wanted the second opinion...don't hold him down to hard on it. I might flash that bling around a bit too.

Back
Top Bottom