Lincoln/Kennedy Penny

SixBits

When I recovered this 1964 Lincoln Penny today, I was shocked to see an image of President Kennedy on the right side facing President Lincoln. An Internet search revealed that a private company engraved the Kennedy image on many pennies as a novelty to underscore the many parallel facts shared by the two presidents. Since President Kennedy was assassinated in late 1963, this may have been the first year that the engraving was done.

Does anyone else have any other facts about this coin? Who did the engraving? How many coins were engraved? When'd did the engraving end? Etc.

Attachments

• Lincoln-Kennedy Penny 1964.jpg
    Lincoln-Kennedy Penny 1964.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 460
Its not "engraved" its a punch stamp. You can buy them online and make as many as you want. So in other words, there are no records or data of who created these or how many poor, defenseless Lincoln pennies were defaced in this manner.

It is a coin that has been circulated for years, sometimes as a free promotional item from banks, some enterprising individuals used them to make money.
That 2 for $1 ad below of the 1972 cent proclaims world's first...since yours is a 1964 I think not...or yours could have been stamped way after it was minted.
As it has been said there is a sucker born every minute.

Probably still being made today but if yours was made back in 64 it is very old and has to be one of the first so great find.
Probably no way to really ever know when it was actually made, however.

Usually accompanied by and attached to a card titled "Astonishing Coincidences".
Some of those "true facts" were stretched a bit.

Attachments

• 3517254942_3e26c125d5_z.jpg
    3517254942_3e26c125d5_z.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 348
  • commemorative_lincoln_kennedy_penny.jpg
    commemorative_lincoln_kennedy_penny.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 262
Its not "engraved" its a punch stamp. You can buy them online and make as many as you want. So in other words, there are no records or data of who created these or how many poor, defenseless Lincoln pennies were defaced in this manner.

If they are ADDING a face to the coin, is it really considered "Defacing"?

Back
Top Bottom