Gold testing kit

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Alright, I know you guys have em but I have no clue how they work, if it's dangerous liquids, or what makes up a decent one. I know you rub the metal on something and then put drops on the streaks, but other than that I have no clue what to do or look for or how to do it properly.

Any suggestions on a decent kit? Any tips would be appreciated!

Also, should I get one of those diamond testers too? Saw someone using one in an earlier thread and it looks like the cheapies ($20 on Amazon) work just as well as anything else. True?

And as always, thanks for the help!

The liquid is acid of different strengths, usually 10,14,18,22k and also including platt and silver test bottles. You get a scratch stone to rub the ring on and then test the streak with a drop of the in question acid. Start with the hallmark on the ring or if none start with 10k and move up till the streak does not hold. Lots of cheap/great deals on Ebay, just type in gold testing kits, comes with instructions.
Cheap diamond testers are good to have, but your local jeweler is your friend when a final conformation is needed.
DL

The liquid is acid of different strengths, usually 10,14,18,22k and also including platt and silver test bottles. You get a scratch stone to rub the ring on and then test the streak with a drop of the in question acid. Start with the hallmark on the ring or if none start with 10k and move up till the streak does not hold. Lots of cheap/great deals on Ebay, just type in gold testing kits, comes with instructions.
Cheap diamond testers are good to have, but your local jeweler is your friend when a final conformation is needed.
DL

Thank you, sir! I need a kit but I don't want to screw it up. Makes sense to start low and continue high though. Thanks!

The acid kits are all pretty much the same..

It is very dangerous, it eats metal.. I try to neutralize it with baking soda before even rinsing as to not splash it..

Be careful where you store it too, do not store in a cabinet, it can oxidize everything from the fumes eventually..

<°)))>{

The acid kits are all pretty much the same..

It is very dangerous, it eats metal.. I try to neutralize it with baking soda before even rinsing as to not splash it..

Be careful where you store it too, do not store in a cabinet, it can oxidize everything from the fumes eventually..

<°)))>{

Well that sucks. I have an autistic kid who likes to get into everything, so I guess I'll have to store it in the garage. I wasn't sure as to exactly what kind of liquid it was, that's why I asked. Appreciate it!

Well that sucks. I have an autistic kid who likes to get into everything, so I guess I'll have to store it in the garage. I wasn't sure as to exactly what kind of liquid it was, that's why I asked. Appreciate it!

I understand your issues.. It can be challenging at times, non verbal, wandering, seeker 7...

<°)))>{

First Priority, ALWAYS, keep your loved ones SAFE!!
Can you keep such a kit off-site?
Your office?, a trusted friend's house?, etc.
It's inconvenient, but safe.

First Priority, ALWAYS, keep your loved ones SAFE!!
Can you keep such a kit off-site?
Your office?, a trusted friend's house?, etc.
It's inconvenient, but safe.

I'm thinking my parents house now, being it's acid. They only live 5 minutes away. They have a pool and store all their chemicals in a shed. We're all heavily involved in his care, it's like that with special ones.

Back to the dynamics of the little kit...yeah, the idea is to scratch an item on the stone and then hit the strip with a drop of acid to see if it dissolves...After a few years, and at this point, I have taken a shortcut, I just squirt a huge drop of acid right on the dubious object and forego the whole 'stone' thing altogether...Its fast, fun, and easy!

You should see some of the violent eruptions even on items marked '14k' !!!! :laughing:
Mud

Back
Top Bottom