Tapping the ground and getting a different number

TB8788

Hey all,

i'm very new at this, been detecting for about two months now. I have a Garrett ace 400 and a garrett at pinpointer. I've noticed that i'll be swinging and getting a good number say 80 and then ill tap the ground and get like a 13, what causes this? Does tapping the ground help get a more accurate number? thanks in advance.

I am confused as to why you would be tapping the ground. Detector coils are not built to be used to tap anything. I would think that tapping the ground will disturb the wiring inside of the coil. I accidentally tapped a rock with my coil and it cost me the price of a new coil. Swing the coil just over the surface of the ground. Except if you get a real strong signal lift the coil as you swing. If you still have a target at 10 to 12 inches above the dirt leave the aluminum can alone.

I am confused as to why you would be tapping the ground. Detector coils are not built to be used to tap anything. I would think that tapping the ground will disturb the wiring inside of the coil. I accidentally tapped a rock with my coil and it cost me the price of a new coil. Swing the coil just over the surface of the ground. Except if you get a real strong signal lift the coil as you swing. If you still have a target at 10 to 12 inches above the dirt leave the aluminum can alone.

I think I just saw someone do it in a YouTube video honestly

Agreed 100%, that’s abusing the machine and will cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also “pumping the coil” over a target does not need ground contact. That’s most likely what you seen in the video.

Also “pumping the coil” over a target does not need ground contact. That’s most likely what you seen in the video.

What is pumping the coil?

What is pumping the coil?

Raising and lowering the coil above the ground when there’s a target, it also helps determine size, if you get a beep several inches off the ground. It’s probably large trash, but you don’t need to touch the ground.

Seems like you are experiencing some sounds and numerical target IDs from coil knock. Some detectors that are being operated at sensitivity levels that are too high for the ground conditions or have a loose connection will beep and give target IDs when they bump into anything like fence posts, stubble, rocks, limbs or tree trunks. If your detector coil connections are good, try turning down the sensitivity a bit and see if it goes away. I am a gold prospector and bumping my coil into all sorts of things in rough mountain and desert terrain just happens sometimes but I would never do it on purpose. Like everybody has said so far, it is great to keep your coil just off the surface of the ground with a level swing. If you have a coil cover on your coil go ahead and brush the surface. Tapping it on the ground repeatedly and often however is not good for the coil or the detector.

Jeff

There are instances where someone might acquire a target and then STOMP the ground with their FOOT to see if the signal changes...apparently it disturbs the halo on a long buried item. What’s the benefit? If it a rusty item the signal will get way worse I guess...maybe. You could wreck your foot too, so I don’t suggest it.

Tapping the coil on the ground is totally unnecessary and most certainly will cause the VDI number to jump around. Sometimes it will also give off a false signal.

There are instances where someone might acquire a target and then STOMP the ground with their FOOT to see if the signal changes...apparently it disturbs the halo on a long buried item. What’s the benefit? If it a rusty item the signal will get way worse I guess...maybe. You could wreck your foot too, so I don’t suggest it.

I definitely don't recommend stomping. I did and tore tendons in my foot and ankle. Surgeon put in donor tendon. I have done a little detecting in the past few days but nearly three months of no detecting is not fun.

E-Trac

And don’t ever purposely whack anything with your coil unless you have lotsa money...

Almost wrapped my E-Trac around tree several times when I was learning to use it. Been hunting with the 800 so long last time I had it out I found I had forgot just about everything I learned. Never heard of stomping the ground. Intersting. HH Mark

I definitely don't recommend stomping. I did and tore tendons in my foot and ankle. Surgeon put in donor tendon. I have done a little detecting in the past few days but nearly three months of no detecting is not fun.

Jeez Louise how hard were you stomping ? lol HH Mark

A last thought on stomping while George recovers...it is really easy for us northern guys to dig a semi frozen plug and then not be able to get it to sit back in the hole completely, and we tend to want to stomp those down. DONT! Bad bad news if you do what George did, your sh*t will never be the same if you get hurt. Better to leave it sit up a bit and let it settle in, within reason of course!

A last thought on stomping while George recovers...it is really easy for us northern guys to dig a semi frozen plug and then not be able to get it to sit back in the hole completely, and we tend to want to stomp those down. DONT! Bad bad news if you do what George did, your sh*t will never be the same if you get hurt. Better to leave it sit up a bit and let it settle in, within reason of course!

Hammer it with your shovel that’s what I do

Usually if one stomps the ground and or takes shovel at distant point from say high tone area (suspect target) after stomping or shifting slightly the dirt with shovel Pushed in ground and signal dissapears. High chance of ferrous object, not a nonferrous object. So a ferrous false is what person heard.

To the op of this thread. Don’t intentionally bang your coil on the ground or anything really. You will have incidental contact with coil on the ground at times, bushes etc. You’ll hear it in your headphones too most times.

Hammer it with your shovel that’s what I do

That just made me think of this old commercial...”Just keep hittin’ it” :lol::lol: Classic! :lol:

Seriously, though - semi frozen ground is the worst for replacing plugs cleanly, especially the deeper you dig. It’s almost impossible to get all the soil back into the ground and compacted back down to original grade without damaging the cover grass. Smacking it with the shovel works fine for fields, but parks or private permissions require a bit more finesse ;)

Back
Top Bottom