AT Pro And Generic Batteries.

diggin4clad

Elite Member
My local supermarket has a sale on generic AA batteries which is what my AT Pro uses. The price is $9.99 for 48 batteries which equates to about 21 cents per battery. Using Duracells and Energizers my ATP was getting 22-23 hours per charge which isn't bad at all. I'm wondering if anyone here has used generic batteries in their detectors regardless of make. If so what kind of life did they have?

Make sure they are regular alkaline batteries and not heavy duty, heavy duty batteries don’t work near as well or as long. And can actually cause harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can tell you the sunbeam from dollar tree doesn’t work as well as Duracell. I can’t remember how long the battery lasted but I used those one time and stuck with Duracell for a year until I got me some rechargeable batteries. By far rechargeable is the way to go!

I can tell you the sunbeam from dollar tree doesn’t work as well as Duracell. I can’t remember how long the battery lasted but I used those one time and stuck with Duracell for a year until I got me some rechargeable batteries. By far rechargeable is the way to go!

Eneloop are the best rechargeable I’ve ever used

Yes eneloop is my favorite as well! I use them in my remotes and flashlights too. Duracell makes a pretty good rechargeable battery as well but still prefer the eneloop. Just make sure you get the correct volt and that it’s a AA rechargeable. Don’t accidentally get the lithium ion that’s the same size as the AA it’s 3.7 volts I think. Probably would fry the detector I imagine.

Yes eneloop is my favorite as well! I use them in my remotes and flashlights too. Duracell makes a pretty good rechargeable battery as well but still prefer the eneloop. Just make sure you get the correct volt and that it’s a AA rechargeable. Don’t accidentally get the lithium ion that’s the same size as the AA it’s 3.7 volts I think. Probably would fry the detector I imagine.

I use them in flashlights, remotes, Xbox controllers... pretty much everything. They are a little pricey but worth double the cost. They also have more recharges than most brands before their life is shortened.

Use rechargeables as the above posters have said. You'll never buy another battery again. I use them in my AT Pro, no issues they work great. I bought a second battery holder and always bring that spare black plastic holder and set of fully charged batteries in it when I go detecting.

Sunbeam batteries are total junk. Sue bought some a while back and they were dead in no time.

Make sure they are regular alkaline batteries and not heavy duty, heavy duty batteries don’t work near as well or as long. And can actually cause harm.

Use rechargeables as the above posters have said. You'll never buy another battery again. I use them in my AT Pro, no issues they work great. I bought a second battery holder and always bring that spare black plastic holder and set of fully charged batteries in it when I go detecting.

Thanks for the feedback guys...…..I was going to buy rechargeables come springtime but when I noticed the sale I figured I could get a years hunts in with that 48 pack that was on sale. Garrett's instructions say not to use the 3.7 AA batteries as they can damage the detector. I still have a AA charger from way back when I was using my Ace 250. Rechargeables don't last as long as regular batteries but obviously save a ton of money over time. Definitely going to need them in the AT Max which eats batteries like crazy.

Look up project farm on YouTube, he has an awesome video comparing cheap vs expensive batteries. He also compares rechargeable batteries to see which is best. I highly recommend his videos he does a superb job. I agree I would use up the 48 pack first that’s a killer deal on batteries. For just 21 cents a battery you probably couldn’t recharge batteries that cheap. Once that 48 pack is gone I definitely would buy the rechargeable it will save a ton in the long run. As mentioned earlier make sure it is 1.5V AA

Yeah, for me, Copper Top is the only way to go if buying. I gotta get some new rechargeable ones at some point. I used them a few years back and, although they didn't last nearly as long as a regular Duracell, I didn't care because, well, just recharge them. :D This time round, though, I'll get some good ones, not cheapos.

Dont worry about saving money, worry about finding money! :laughing:
I buy the super ultra cheapos..48 pack....and I change them as soon as they drop off 1 click from full power, which is generally @12hrs on the AtPro....

Thats less than $1 of battery cost per 12hrs of hunting, and if a guy cant find that amount 20 times over in clad or silver or gold in that time....then no kind of saving money with rechargeables is gonna ever help!

My main point is I cannot have a recharge station sitting around in the house!...I would be going there to get my batts, and they would all be robbed! I can however, keep a whole case of the cheapos out in my car and nobody gives one durn about them...

So yeah, I buy the big 48 count elcheapos and just work them for the gold...Its nothing, the cost of the batts..its the cost of the TIME thats important...we only got so much of that commodity...Time and Gold wait for Nobody...

Mud Puppy said... My main point is I cannot have a recharge station sitting around in the house!...I would be going there to get my batts, and they would all be robbed! I can however, keep a whole case of the cheapos out in my car and nobody gives one durn about them...

Yep, it is all about the ROI or Return on Investment! I do buy the cheapo Sunbeams at the Dollar Tree for my Garrett Carrot, but use the rechargeables in my AT Pro. 4 AA batts costed me $9.00 with a wall charger at the local hardware store. I refill the 'lectricity when they go below 2 bars on the Pro. Have used the same set for 2 years now, so figger that is 440 silvers, $600 in clad, and many hundreds of hours of detecting for the purchase price plus the 'lectricity. Thankfully at my place they won't get stold so it works out well.

Best Made, hold their charge for a very long time, and NEVER LEAK.

You can't do better for your detector than use them if the detector uses AA batteries.

Best Made, hold their charge for a very long time, and NEVER LEAK.

You can't do better for your detector than use them if the detector uses AA batteries.

I just ordered some Eneloop rechargeables…..

Back
Top Bottom