Think I might be over doing it. LOL

cigarmike

Been detecting now a week now. Going out every day. spent 10 hours metal detecting Saturday and Sunday. Man you talk about being sore. My right elbow my wrist, shoulder hurts like hell. Reminds me of the days I use to work out. Anybody else experience this. :?:

Been detecting now a week now. Going out every day. spent 10 hours metal detecting Saturday and Sunday. Man you talk about being sore. My right elbow my wrist, shoulder hurts like hell. Reminds me of the days I use to work out. Anybody else experience this. :?:

Your addicted. lol I think we all have been there before, I go out about 3-5 times a way myself and have been detecting for 15 months now. You will get use to it!

You're not over doing it - you're just out of shape - like me:takeoff:

If you're under 80, you'll probably be ok. If older, you might want to taper back to 6 days a week.:lol:

Try to use both arms, I know it helped me to switch them every hour. Feels strange at first but you get used to it.

Try to use both arms, I know it helped me to switch them every hour. Feels strange at first but you get used to it.

I swing with both arms as well, and like Scout said you eventually get used to it. It's just second nature to me now, although I do favor my right arm more. :)

Some have said that if you shorten the rod some, where your arm is in a more natural position, it can help ease shoulder pain...

EDIT: You can over train muscles, and definitely tendons. It sounds like you might want to cut back for a week or so and let your body heal.

Believe it or not, I started detecting with BAD knees, back, etc. And I just noticed a few days ago my ability to move them has gotten BETTER since detecting. I am able to get down and move faster and with less pain. All in all it's been therapeutic for me.

I too feel it after a good day of hunting..the knees and the back are not what they were..I was out yesterday for about 4 hours and my back is feeling it today..Best I can say is take something before you go out and then get a hot shower when you get back..when I lived up north we had big tubs in the bathroom..used to like to soak and that would make me feel better after a long hunt...since moving down to Florida..the tubs are really small...or maybe I got bigger....Buster....:)

I did too. The problem for me was it was arthritis. Got the same thing with the weed eater.
HH from
Jim in Lynchburg Virginia

i've had a few back surgeries in the past 10 yrs and feel that the walking and diggin have been great therapy for me.

i switch arms quite frequently, just to keep everything in balance and i don't get quite as many aches and pains anymore. of course by the time the ground thaws enough to get out again, i'll have to start all over again and get back in swinging shape. :lol:

Pete

i switch arms quite frequently, just to keep everything in balance and i don't get quite as many aches and pains anymore. of course by the time the ground thaws enough to get out again, i'll have to start all over again and get back in swinging shape. :lol:

Pete

You need to exercise with a handheld weight. I use a 5 pounder

You need to exercise with a handheld weight. I use a 5 pounder

:lol: no... if you could see what i do for a living and the amount of lifting i do every day, haha. i think some of the 100+ pound "weights" i lug around will suffice, ha! :D it's just that swinging the MD is using different muscles and when my bod tells me i'm doing it wrong, i listen! :yes: being 6'5 doesn't help either, lol.

Pete

Happens to us all!

Everybody on here would be lying if they said they didn't have days like that! You probably are qualified to take the new Zumba exercise classes now and not get sore! It does get better, but they're right.... pace it out, take breaks, and use both arms. Good luck! Cheers! GiGi

Listen to Rob! SHORTEN YOUR DETECTOR'S ROD.

Not only will it lessen the weight on your arm, it will keep your coil right at your feet and keep your swings shorter, which is what you want anyway.

Take a break from it until the pain subsides..

I am ex-miltary medical & was a EMT........don't try to 'work through the pain', it just lengthens the recovery time or possibly cause permanent micro-injuries that show up years later to plague you. Just my 2 wheat cents worth. Swinging a detector with bad ergonomics (do follow advice previously posted) is like typists who get carpal tunnel syndrome injuries from improperly designed keyboards. If detector continues to be painful to you in the future, get a better balanced one. There are alot guys on these boards that have permanent injuries from poor ergonomically designed detectors (Minelabs seem to be the biggest offenders).
When ya start up again, like pushing weights & reps, do it gradually.

Disclaimer:This is not intended as medical advice, always consult with a physician.

Back
Top Bottom