Have an idea ..but not sure! >>>>UPDATE BELOW<<<< CRAZY

goldendreams

Elite Member
Dug this today..was very deep.. it has "Lydia Pygen 1694" engraved on it ..its not magnetic so maybe its silver? .....
Anyone?

Attachments

• Resized_20210306_174216.jpg
    Resized_20210306_174216.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:
Looks like sterling to me. If 1694 is a date, that is obviously very old. Awesome. At first I thought bracelet. Was it that flat when you dug it?

Almost strikes me as a plate on top of a pouch or purse, maybe with handles or straps off those rectangle holes.

Googling the name I found the below, maybe a typo on the last name through the records, but seems close all things considered.
Lydia PYGAN of New London, Conn.

married Eliphalet ADAMS 1709/12/15

# referred to in Colonial Families of the United States of America, Volume 2, page 714: one Joseph Trumann settled in New London in 1666 and purchased some pits for tanning from Alexander PIGGIN in 1667. An additional reference to this is in the Hamilton HURD History of New London County, Connecticut.

Here's the full link, her name is bottom of the first major section
http://www.piggin.org/miscell71.htm

Almost strikes me as a plate on top of a pouch or purse, maybe with handles or straps off those rectangle holes.

Googling the name I found the below, maybe a typo on the last name through the records, but seems close all things considered.

# referred to in Colonial Families of the United States of America, Volume 2, page 714: one Joseph Trumann settled in New London in 1666 and purchased some pits for tanning from Alexander PIGGIN in 1667. An additional reference to this is in the Hamilton HURD History of New London County, Connecticut.

Yes I dug it in new london..I thought it looked like a plate for under a painting..it has "nail holes" on each side...amazing

Well I think you have a winner on the owner then! If you Google the name there's a ton of genealogy site hits. Someone document that family tree pretty well.

It doesn't make any sense, but, it looks just like a bed rail fastener.

Could this be something related to her birth? That would put her at 15 when married.... Sorry, just saw her head stone. She was born 1685.

Last edited:

I got the scoop!
This is what i was told and shown

What a fantastic piece of history and a great piece of research.

You have something rather more interesting than a nameplate though! That will probably be one of Lydia's (much treasured) dress-making items. It's a blunt bodkin for threading ribbon or cord through a hem or stitched piping/casing. The holes are for thread/cord and the slots are for ribbon. Similar to this one from the mid-17th Century:

Attachments

• Bodkin Ribbon Threader.jpg
    Bodkin Ribbon Threader.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 547
I got the scoop!
This is what i was told and shown

What a fantastic piece of history and a great piece of research.

You have something rather more interesting than a nameplate though! That will probably be one of Lydia's (much treasured) dress-making items. It's a blunt bodkin for threading ribbon or cord through a hem or stitched piping/casing. The holes are for thread/cord and the slots are for ribbon. Similar to this one from the mid-17th Century:

Mighty fine piece of sleuthing there my friend! Impressive!

Back
Top Bottom