Old door knocker

aj0421

Elite Member
Digging in my own yard with my Vanquish 540 trying to get the hang of all the buttons and pin pointer I came across a signal of 18 to 19. So after not finding the item on the initial dig I found I was about 4 inches off and had to go down deeper. I dug down at least 8 inches become I came across this object. At first I thought it was a iron pipe than I was able to get under a corner of it and pry it up. I brought it in the house to show my girlfriend and the first thing to come out of her mouth was "is that dog poop". I am pretty sure it is a old door knocker.

Attachments

• 20210306_163110.jpg
    20210306_163110.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 280
If I get a chance tommorrow I will try to chisel some of the rust off of it. I live in a manufactured home that was built in 1995. Maybe it was used in the transportation of the house halves.

20210306_181406.jpg

I don't know if I would take a chisel to it. A wire brush would be better and if you didn't want to try electrolysis, there is a product called Evapo-Rust that does a good job.

If I get a chance tommorrow I will try to chisel some of the rust off of it. I live in a manufactured home that was built in 1995. Maybe it was used in the transportation of the house halves.

View attachment 480801

The degree of rust leads me to believe its older than 1995. Look up electrolysis on YouTube, that would be your best bet getting most of the rust off without harming your relic.

Thank you, I will give it a try. It looks a little too fancy with the bowed handle to be a tie down. I will ask my father-in-law if I can borrow his battery charger so I can try to clean it. I have some more 19-21 targets registering but I gave up digging after 10 to 12 inches deep. I will go back in those holes again this weekend to see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom