Read the Owner's Manual!

RocketBoy

Alright, alright. I admit I was wrong. I've had my EQX 800 for a little over a month now. I've looked at numerous InterWeb videos, purchased books and read every shred of info on various metal detector'centric Forums I could find. Only to discover there's a HUGE amount of info in the Equinox 800 manual. You heard me, in the manual! Yes, I finally sat down and over the course of a few evenings I read it front to back. I'll probably read through again and then read selected chapters over a third time. Maybe a fourth? Who knew there'd be all that knowledge wrapped-up in one place? LOL!

b/r

RB

I've never seen any info posted online that I didn't figure out from the manual and experimenting. Yet, the manual contains info I've never seen anybody online discuss. I've never read any of the 3rd party books, so I can't speak to those.

Here's a good tip that's in the manual. You don't have to reset the whole machine if you just want to reset one program. Instead of holding down the power button for a full factory reset, you can just hold the detect mode button down while in the mode you want to reset. You'll get a "SP" rather than "FP" notification.

I've never seen any info posted online that I didn't figure out from the manual and experimenting. Yet, the manual contains info I've never seen anybody online discuss. I've never read any of the 3rd party books, so I can't speak to those.

Here's a good tip that's in the manual. You don't have to reset the whole machine if you just want to reset one program. Instead of holding down the power button for a full factory reset, you can just hold the detect mode button down while in the mode you want to reset. You'll get a "SP" rather than "FP" notification.

Good post. I keep a saved program user profile for coin shooting. When not hunting coins specifically, I flip back to the standard settings and monkey around with them if needed. Then, do a soft reset on the mode (I mess around with) back to standard settings when I'm done and it allows me to keep my coin shooter program untouched.

It’s well known that we men don’t need no stinkin’ instructions, directions or any other third thing telling us what to do! For SOME odd reason though...the manual for metal detectors actually winds up being a very useful thing....:lol:
The usual acronym of RTFM comes up from time to time, with a little imagination you’ll figure out what it means...

The usual acronym of RTFM comes up from time to time, with a little imagination you’ll figure out what it means...

Read The Friendly Manual

Of course.

:yes:

I can figure out RTFM. It's like FUBAR. LOL! The 'Manual' has more information than I'd expected, I recommend everybody take the time to read it. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

b/r

RB

BTW, I also keep a 'coin shooter set-up' in my 'User Profile'. That's a good use of the feature. Once I saved the 'coin shooter' profile, I used the 'SP' feature to return Park 1 to factory default. The first couple of times I didn't realize I could do that, but eventually figured it out. The SW is well thought out.

b/r

RB

I've read the manual, but learning a new detector I think there are advantages to reading or at least browsing the manual often. I find I pick up things I read but due to lack of experience with the machine didn't really "get" on the first read of the manual.

JimR TN...absolutely. I do the same thing with any new discipline I learn. It's funny there are concepts you 'don't get' until you've actually got some experience under your belt.

b/r

RB

The first thing I did when I ordered my 800 was to print out the manual. I had read it twice before the thing even showed up in the mail lol. I am constantly seeing posts in the Equinox Facebook groups from guys that literally can’t figure out how to turn their new machine on, because they never take the time to read the manual.

I can figure out RTFM. It's like FUBAR. LOL! The 'Manual' has more information than I'd expected, I recommend everybody take the time to read it. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

I agree, RocketBoy! I know a lot of guys don’t want to bother reading a manual and just break open the box and start swinging, but I’m one of those “sticks-in-the-mud” that always reaches for the manual first.

The Equinox manual isn’t nearly as detailed as I wish it was (I’d love to have more concrete technical information on the differences between the various hunting modes, for example), but it’s still full of little known operating details if it’s given a careful read. For example, I wonder how many Equinox users realize that the Iron Bias setting isn’t available or active in single frequency mode? I’ve talked to several who assumed that their Iron Bias filter was still working if they shifted from Multi to, say, 10 kHz to check a target.

I've never seen any info posted online that I didn't figure out from the manual and experimenting.

I agree that the Equinox manual does a pretty good job of laying out how to adjust the features and settings, and often enough of an idea on what they do to get a detectorist experimenting in the right direction. But I have found several cases where knowledgeable, constructive on-line sources can provide meaningful information that is definitely missing from the manual, and I don’t think I could easily learn through experimentation.

Picking on Iron Bias again as an example, the manual does a nice job of explaining how to adjust settings for FE and F2 and a little info about why/when you should use iron bias, but it turns out it’s quite lacking in detail about how the two are different from each other. Here’s a link to a post by Steve Herschbach on another forum which I think provides invaluable information about how the two separate Iron Bias programs compare or overlap with each other:

Detectorprospector.com Forum: Steve Herschbach Post Regarding F2 Settings

Herschbach’s post also links to a series of posts by Tom Dankowski, who apparently had a hand in developing F2 for the Equinox update, which are almost mandatory reading to understand F2. Excellent information, IMO...and personally, at the very least, I think Steve Herschbach’s diagram belongs in the manual!

DetectorProspector has at least 40 separate topics under Minelab Equinox/ Minelab Equinox Essential Information.

Steve was a field tester for the Equinox and he gives thoughtful, unbiased, and informative operating hints and explanations for the operation of many detectors along with input from the members of his forum. Well worth a browse or read through.

Jeff

The Equinox manual isn’t nearly as detailed as I wish it was (I’d love to have more concrete technical information on the differences between the various hunting modes, for example), but it’s still full of little known operating details if it’s given a careful read. For example, I wonder how many Equinox users realize that the Iron Bias setting isn’t available or active in single frequency mode? I’ve talked to several who assumed that their Iron Bias filter was still working if they shifted from Multi to, say, 10 kHz to check a target....

I'm a "read the instructions/manual" kind of person, too.

No doubt the Equinox manual doesn't even begin to touch WHY you'd used most of the settings. I've had that Detector Prospector web page come up a few times when I've been searching more technical information. I'll have to read more on the FE v. F2 issue. I still haven't settled on it and am not sure what the benefits are beyond better bottle cap identification. I don't find myself digging in places with so many of them that they bother me. So, if there's some other trade off when using F2 instead of FE--and there always is a trade off in metal detecting---I'd like to know whether it matters to me.

I figured out Iron Bias isn't inactive in single frequency because it gave the angry beep when I tried to change it!

DetectorProspector .......
Steve ....... gives thoughtful, unbiased, and informative operating hints and explanations for the operation of many detectors along with input from the members of his forum. Well worth a browse or read through.

Jeff

X2

DetectorProspector has at least 40 separate topics under Minelab Equinox/ Minelab Equinox Essential Information.

Steve was a field tester for the Equinox and he gives thoughtful, unbiased, and informative operating hints and explanations for the operation of many detectors along with input from the members of his forum. Well worth a browse or read through.

Jeff

Another vote, Steve at Detector Prospector has done a great job of compiling info on the Equinox. I don't participate on that forum but I read it regularly.

To be honest, I really don't know how to use Fe or Fe2? I do know Fe/Fe2 can't be used simultaneously and neither work when using individual frequency. Based upon Detect Pro discussions, Fe2 has expanded Ferrous metal sensitivity, above and beyond what is available in the Fe setting. At least I think that's right? What it does for me and how to use it, is somewhat a mystery.

b/r

RB

I am a manual reader for sure. I would say I got more useful info from the site than the manual itself though. You can get info from the manual, but learning how things can tie together and what they may really mean to you was easier to pick up from reading here.

Well that's what I was originally going to suggest but left it alone assuming you had already gone through the manual a couple times. So I will suggest, read it again :D

My last purchase, I had read the manual several times and watched many vids before buying to be sure it had the detector features I needed in my line up.

There are two types of detector operators. Those who get frustrated and quit and those who get frustrated then re read the manual. Then get frustrated some more until eventually a big smile comes to their face and they just act confident knowing they have put the required time in to learn their machine.

Back
Top Bottom