$400 Heart Attack and 40 Cents Change!

SageGrouse

Elite Member
OK I don't wnat to go through this morning ever again. :D

As any of you know... I'ze po'. I get Social security Disability and try to earn a little money to keep afloat. Well, recently a tooth broke and I *had* to go to the dentist to get it repaired. He put a crown on it *$1500.00. OUCH!* but also, I sprang for the $450.00 to get what is known as an "NTI". An NTI is a small plastic device that prevents one from grinding their teeth at night. I had one before and it *prevented* me from breaking teeth! It had gooten old and finally unwearable, so I needed a new one.

The NTI is perhaps the size of a nickel. It fits onto the middle teeth, upper or lower, and prevents the jaw from entirely closing. And it *works*!! But basically, if it is lab-made, it's around $1,000.00. If it's office-made it's around $500.00. I have NO idea why, but it is. AND it saves thousands in dental work.

It's just the RIGHT size to skitter easily down a sink drain! And that is what it did this morning. I had taken it out of my mouth and placed it in its box and was running water to fill the box and it skipped over the edge and PLOP! *GONE!*

AAAAIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Fortunately, my dear old Daddy taught me a few things about plumbing! One of which was how to remove, clean and replace a U-bend! I'm the Girl With The Tool Box! Soooo, I got down on hands and knees, took a look, got my tools and removed the sink trap. Has anyone ever mentioned how BAD sink traps stink? Euuucccchhh! And of course where there is stench... there are DOGS!! Lillie is bounding around "can I have it? can I have it? Can I have it?" and Gryphon is all "WOW! That smells like $#%! THANKS, MOM!!"

So there I was, on my knees in my bathrobe, fending off two dogs and holding a pipe full of blecch, and praying that the tiny $450 piece of plastic was still there.

Sure enough.... the NTI was NOT there! PANIC!! Wait!..... was it higher in the pipe? I KNOW I had shut the water of the very Ohnosecond the device had left the box's edge. so it could NOT have been washed farther down... then it must be higher up! Still to be sure, I took the trap and very carefully inverted it into a sieve. Out rolled a quarter, a dime and a nickel! Wow. I'm 40 cents richer... and still no little plastic bit!

Now what? I tookd a sounding rod and carefully examined the upper portion. Sure enough, as I searched, there was a tiny little ledge and the NTI had been caught on that! It fell into the pan below the pipe with a >plink!< that sounded like all the harps in Heaven! "Ohhhh BOY!!" I could hear Lillie thinking as she dove for the tiny 'edible' bit... "OH NO YOU DON'T!" I roared in a voice that would have frightened Godzilla and dove for the plastic!

Gryphon chose this very moment to do a bit of inspection himself. Did I mention that I was wearing a bathrobe? Forgot to mention it was rather short and I was in a cramped position. It rode up a bit. Did I mention that the pipes are very firmly installed. And at head height to a kneeling woman? The combination of the need to prevent one dog from *eating* my $450 bit of plastic... and the OTHER dog's cold nose in my "business" produced a forward lurch which brought my skull into direct contact with a steel pipe.
What PRETTY little twinkly stars!!

Fortunately I got the NTI in hand, prevented Lillie from consuming it, got Gryphon's nasal appurtenance out of my sitting-down appurtenance and got the pipe back together. The NTI is now sitting soaking in every antiseptic I can think of that's not poisonous... the dogs are happily out for a walk with my Beloved... and the pipe is now clear, clean and re-installed....

My question is...

Should I count the forty cents as a "find" even though I didn't use my metal detector?

SageGrouse

Actually, I do have Humana Health Care as well as Medicare. However the very best, finest, greatest and most triple-AWESOME dentist, whom I trust with my choppers does not take either Medicare or Humana. Thus, I'd rather pay full freight and get my teeth done *properly* than to trust the other dentist in town who *does* take Humana...

Why?

Well... the awesome dentist is billed as "Smiles of Santa Fe" and is Dr. Michael W. Davis DDS. I hear you scratching your head "Why is this relevant?"

Well.... the OTHER dentist in town... the practise is called...

Adventure Dentistry.

GAAAAHHHH! My teeth are NOT an "adventure"!!! I'll stay with my own beloved Dr. Davis. I'm cowardly that way.

SageGrouse

A story told well as I pictured your trauma as I read it. There is one more win in this adventure as now the trap is clean. I hope you next adventure is with you detector and it produces a lot more the the 40 cents. Jack

Better than a story I got:lol: Wife's grandpa lost his dentures down the toilet. I'm a Plumber. He tells me several days later. Long story short, I pull the toilet and get the chompers out. Got toilet paper hanging off them:laughing: He throws them in some bleach. From then on when I saw them all I thought about was that toilet paper picture etched in my brain:lol::laughing::D:shock:

With everything today being quite expensive.....
and many being on a fixed income.........ya do
what ya gotts to do. Clean em up and disinfect
them....good as new and paid for......

@ Itsaring: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yep, I'm a plumber's best friend/worst nighmare. I do my own plumbing. I can remove and re-install a sink or toilet (bathtubs... not so much), unclog a drain, handle a snake and field-strip toilets. I can re-seat faucets and basic stuff. HOWEVER... I'm not a fool about it. When I get to a situation that is over my knowledge level... I'm the first on the phone to the professionals!

WORST situation I ever found myself in was when, while turning on the bathwater... the hot water handle snapped off in my hand! AAAIIIEEEEEE! Water gushing from the wall! Of COURSE it WOULD happen on a Sunday... as well as a holiday! I called for help. I know when I don't know! AND I could NOT find the assembly to shut the water off at the main! Turned out that all I needed to do to shut the water off by throwing a switch on the hot water heater. GAHH I learned my lesson well. The plumber was kind enough NOT to laugh at me while charging holiday rates.

I have ULTIMATE respect for plumbers and electricians!

SageGrouse

Nope-doesn't count as metal detecting find. If you were preparing to go metal detecting it would such as finding a dime on the ground on your way to metal detect.

Very well told story as you do have a true talent for writing. I'm willing to bet that you could make good $ freelancing stories like this but unlike this one, they wouldn't have to be true.

Btw, I would count the 40 cents as a find.

Good job on retrieving your dental appliance!
Here's an idea someone might find helpful some day. I was flossing over the bathroom sink when my gold crown popped off. Those suckers are about $1000 these days! It popped out of my mouth, bounced off the counter, and went down the bathtub drain! Getting access to that trap is a major PITA. Trying not to panic, I scratched my head for a few minutes, and came up with this solution: I gently ran a little water into the tub to make sure the trap was full, then got my shop vac (major suction, can handle water, and has a convenient dropoff spot for whatever comes out). I pressed the end of the hose over the drain, turned that sucker (grin) on, and immediately heard a satisfying CLANK! Sure enough, there was the crown. I cleaned it up, took it to my dentist, and he reinstalled it. Can't remember how much he charged, but it was insignificant compared to the cost of a new crown.

Very well told story as you do have a true talent for writing. I'm willing to bet that you could make good $ freelancing stories like this but unlike this one, they wouldn't have to be true.

Btw, I would count the 40 cents as a find.

I agree you are the Patrick F McManus of the metaldetecting world.

A modded mouthguard does not work. The NTI inititials stand for nociceptive trigeminal inhibition splint and the concept is that preventing the jaws from comin together at a certain angle inhibits the reflex to grind or bruxate. The lower jaw is stopped at a point before the teeth cna connect, and prevented from lateral or front to back slippage and contact beyond the wings of the splint. The teeth never touch beyond the contact of the very front teeth, which do NOT trigger bruxation.

A flat guard permits the teeth to touch, front and back, and grind together because the nerve impulse remains unblocked. The bruxation reflex occurs during any stimulation of the sleeping individual. A sound, a touch, a movement that is percieved by the sleeper, causes the action which wears on teeth, breaks enamel, grinds down dentin, loosens fillings and implants, and can cause a LOT of damage to the teeth as well as causing migraine headaches and Temporomandibular jaw (TMJ) pain and symptoms.

Many people have NO idea that they grind their teeth at night. I certainly didn't. All I knew was that I had fillings that would become unstable and fall out, cracked teeth and sore jaws... but for no discernible reason! The dentist diagnosed me from wear patterns on my teeth.

If you find that you have unexplained damages to fillings and crowns, migraine headaches or TMJ... talk to your dentist about these things. They're expensive BUT they WILL pay for themselves the first time you DON'T have to have a filling replaced with a crown!

SageGrouse

I agree you are the Patrick F McManus of the metaldetecting world.

HaHa! I agree. Sage, you sure can paint a picture with your writing. I'm glad to hear it all worked out for the best, or the closest possible, considering the circumstances.

I know my oldest sister used to grind her teeth in her sleep so bad it would wake you up. And that was sound traveling through walls and closed doors.

A find is a find is a find. My favorite find is a gold grill from somebody's teeth. I was metal detecting but I saw it sitting on the ground before the detector picked it up and I count it!

You simply were using different tools is all!

Great story.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 839
Back
Top Bottom