Swimming in silver

Bagelbites

Forum Supporter
Hey y'all. I haven't posted in a while due to working lots of hours. I haven't hunted in months. My wonderful governor gave me a pay cut, so I've been working other jobs to make up the difference.

One of the jobs is working the cash register at the gas station next door. It's an easy job, and I was particularly excited about checking all the coins for silver. Just imagine it, I'd be swimming in silver!

Nope! After 2 months of working here and enthusiastically checking every dang coin, I found a few wheaties and a single '57 Rosie. There's just not that much silver in circulation I guess.

This morning, however, I picked a roll of nickels to add to the register, and saw a "V" in the end of the roll. I was hoping for a whole roll of oldies, but no such luck. It made my morning, though. A 1907 V nickel.

Tomorrow I'm heading out camping for a few days with the boat, my first days off since Thanksgiving. Fishing and excessive drinking, I can't wait. Thanks for reading and have a great Sunday.

Attachments

• 20210214_062930.jpg
    20210214_062930.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 816
  • 20210214_062950.jpg
    20210214_062950.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 848
Good catch , odd you haven't found more good coins coming in the change, sure there are still some floating around . They do keep showing up in coinstar machines , so there has to be a lot of them floating around in old coffee cans and jars . May be you could get a part time job repairing coinstar machines , unjamming the junk , and pickingup any silver coins stuck in with the dirt and paperclips .

I was in North Carolina a little over two weeks ago. Shopping at an Amish General store and got a 1939 quarter back in change. First silver i have gotten in change in many years.

That's an awesome find, and a keeper for sure! :wow: Good eye! And yea, a whole roll would have been, well, incredible. Still could happen though.

Hey y'all. I haven't posted in a while due to working lots of hours. I haven't hunted in months. My wonderful governor gave me a pay cut, so I've been working other jobs to make up the difference.

One of the jobs is working the cash register at the gas station next door. It's an easy job, and I was particularly excited about checking all the coins for silver. Just imagine it, I'd be swimming in silver!

Nope! After 2 months of working here and enthusiastically checking every dang coin, I found a few wheaties and a single '57 Rosie. There's just not that much silver in circulation I guess.

This morning, however, I picked a roll of nickels to add to the register, and saw a "V" in the end of the roll. I was hoping for a whole roll of oldies, but no such luck. It made my morning, though. A 1907 V nickel.

Tomorrow I'm heading out camping for a few days with the boat, my first days off since Thanksgiving. Fishing and excessive drinking, I can't wait. Thanks for reading and have a great Sunday.

Sorry to hear you were another victim of a Politician .It sounds like you're doing your best to pick yourself back up , good luck with that. :yes: Awesome "V" , Congrats ! That was certainly a one in a million shot .

Being able to hunt thru the change is a pretty good benefit and must certainly make the day more interesting. You just never know what that next customer may have in their change . Here's hoping your next customer pays you with a SLQ in their change , It never ceases to amaze me how little most people know about coinage , a true advantage to the enlightened .

That’s actually pretty astounding to have a V nickel floating through circulation for SO long. Imagine the poor things relief when it realized it’s savior was going to finally take it out of the loop. 114 years....hell of a loop. S-core!!

Wow, a 1907 V nickel in a roll of nickels, congrats !!!! :thumbsup:

I would think finding a V nickel in a random roll like that is pretty rare, I bet you'll be checking those rolls extra close from now on :lol:

It'd be really neat if you got a side job at the Coinstar company and they let you sort thru the coins on your lunch break looking for oldies to exchange for clad :lol:

Nice V!

As far as silver coins in circulation, I found over 1,000 silver dimes from rolls including almost 100 mercs and six Barbers, between 2009-2015. That doesn’t include several hundred silver halves including Barber and walkers.

My 18 y.o. son found 6 silver dimes, 2 buffalos and 20+ wheats while working the Taco Bell drive-thru for several months.

As I’m sure you probably know, the key to successful coin (roll) hunting is volume.

Found a nice old Indian in a Quick mart in the need a penny take a penny tray that was in excellent shape. Which happens to be my oldest coin find to date.

V Nickel

Pretty nice, the V nickel. But to me, the real (best) story here is, going out with your boat, camping, fishing, and excessive drinking. That beats a V nickel in my book any ol time.
HH everyone

Enjoy that holiday! In the early 70's i was a supermarket cashier.
When we turned in our drawers the night manager would comb through the coins looking for silver.

Got a beautiful buffalo nickel today, just sitting in the register.

Attachments

• 20210304_221941.jpg
    20210304_221941.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 20210304_222001.jpg
    20210304_222001.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 391
I’ve released dozens of dateless buffalos to the wild, wonder if you’ve found one? :cool: I was also hoarding 1938-1958 Jeffersons, tired of them and have released those too...about a thousand, hoping to spur future collectors. Nic-a-date chemical solution will reveal missing dates on buffalos.

That V nickel was a fantastic "in circulation" find !!!!

The other coins are neat "in circulation" finds too !

Reminds me as a kid back in the late 1950's and early to mid 1960's it wasn't too unusual to occasionally get a Buffalo nickel or Merc dime in your change, just wish back then I had the foresight to hold onto silver coins (and other old coins), but then again back before 1964 whoever thought they ever be switching from silver to clad :lol:

Back
Top Bottom