Treasure Coast Florida Beach re-nourishment. Where?

bornhunter

Elite Member
We are planning a trip to check out Florida's Treasure coast. I hear some sand is being added to the beach.
Does anyone have an idea of where they are adding sand right now?
Thank you in advance for the replies!

We are planning a trip to check out Florida's Treasure coast. I hear some sand is being added to the beach.
Does anyone have an idea of where they are adding sand right now?
Thank you in advance for the replies!

I can't answer your question about Florida specifically, but here's one thing to watch out for in these sand-replenish-dredge-deposit episodes:

We had a case here in CA, where : They usually always took dredged harbor sand, and pipes it out to the ocean. But one year, they had the genius idea to pipe the dredge sand right on to the beach. Because there was a particular zone where the natural erosion (over 100 yrs.) had gotten to the point where the high-water mark was getting dangerously close to some condominium frontages.

At first, when we saw the pipes, and the sickly colored sand on the beach (which, of course NEVER contains coins), we thought "Shucks, they're screwing up the beach". Because this area produces old coins, when the erosion gets back into the dunes there every-other year or so. Thus we just assumed that we can kiss all erosion there good-bye. And that this sickly sand would eventually spread up and down the beach.

But an odd thing happened: Since inter-tidal sand "migrates" in a certain direction (one grain at a time, over years), then all the natural sand migrating south towards this new man-made impediment, it created a sort of stopping spot for the naturally migrating sand. And the new dredged sand, on-the-other hand, wasn't migrating southward. It just sort of created a blockage, of the normal sand movement. And after a few years, all the sand DOWNSTREAM of this, began to erode, since it wasn't being replenished from the north. And we ended up with lots of cool coins out of this episode (inc. coins back to a gold coin, reales, LC, etc...).

Eventually, the blockage un-ravelled, and the sand spread back out over our honey-hole. But it was plain to see these short-term results. Ya can't fool with mother nature I guess. Maybe this was just a fluke, and doesn't happen elsewhere. Because any other time (besides this once), it seems that dredged sand put on the beach just creates poor conditions, both north and south of it.

Excellent information and insight! I plainly understood what you said.
I hope I find those same results and will watch for it with hope.

I can't answer your question about Florida specifically, but here's one thing to watch out for in these sand-replenish-dredge-deposit episodes:

We had a case here in CA, where : They usually always took dredged harbor sand, and pipes it out to the ocean. But one year, they had the genius idea to pipe the dredge sand right on to the beach. Because there was a particular zone where the natural erosion (over 100 yrs.) had gotten to the point where the high-water mark was getting dangerously close to some condominium frontages.

At first, when we saw the pipes, and the sickly colored sand on the beach (which, of course NEVER contains coins), we thought "Shucks, they're screwing up the beach". Because this area produces old coins, when the erosion gets back into the dunes there every-other year or so. Thus we just assumed that we can kiss all erosion there good-bye. And that this sickly sand would eventually spread up and down the beach.

But an odd thing happened: Since inter-tidal sand "migrates" in a certain direction (one grain at a time, over years), then all the natural sand migrating south towards this new man-made impediment, it created a sort of stopping spot for the naturally migrating sand. And the new dredged sand, on-the-other hand, wasn't migrating southward. It just sort of created a blockage, of the normal sand movement. And after a few years, all the sand DOWNSTREAM of this, began to erode, since it wasn't being replenished from the north. And we ended up with lots of cool coins out of this episode (inc. coins back to a gold coin, reales, LC, etc...).

Eventually, the blockage un-ravelled, and the sand spread back out over our honey-hole. But it was plain to see these short-term results. Ya can't fool with mother nature I guess. Maybe this was just a fluke, and doesn't happen elsewhere. Because any other time (besides this once), it seems that dredged sand put on the beach just creates poor conditions, both north and south of it.

The exact same thing happened here. Pumped in sand created an unnatural block to the natural sand movement and the beaches totally eroded away in front of the pumped in sand. It was awesome for awhile for finds but not so much for the home owners who had their houses fall off the cliff because of the erosion. Now it's all settled back down again and we are having numerous 0 target hunts. :( :( :(

Ahhh yesssss....Tom...I laughed and cried after reading this ! There are a few beaches down here that are pumping harbor sand right onto the beaches. Happens every few years. About the only thing it temporarily does for us is provide sand for people to lay out on , which is good. Not long ago I hunted a massive "fake cut" from one of these pile ups. I was jacked up when I saw this thing. In 45 minutes I was weighed down from a half pouch full of sinkers , a few hooks and coins. All good signs under normal hunting conditions. But no gold. It was a rookie mistake. It's funny now when I think back on it 🤣

... It was awesome for awhile for finds but not so much for the home owners who had their houses fall off the cliff because of the erosion. ....

Kapi, thanx for letting me know our thing wasn't a fluke. And actually: The dredged piled up sand protected the spot they intended to (the condo's) JUST FINE. But it was about a 50 yard section *downstream* of that, that didn't fare so well :laughing: That downstream area of the beach didn't have any shore-front structures, so no one worried when the sand disappeared, the dunes were cut into down there.

Strangely enough, about a month later (I think when the first winter swells began to hit), the blockage un-ravelled, and the sickly sand did indeed make it "downstream", covering our honey hole spots. But for several weeks, we were literally walking on bed-rock ! Coins and fishing sinkers filled each crevice and tide-pool formation.

...... Not long ago I hunted a massive "fake cut" from one of these pile ups. I was jacked up when I saw this thing. ...

Now you made me laugh and cry too :toofunny: Because we have a harbor entrance jetty area, that they dredge multiple times each year, to keep the channel deep enough for the pleasure-boat traffic. And all that sand is routinely piped to the beach south of this harbor-mouth. And just like you describe: It erodes super easily with the next seasonal swells/tides/winds. Impressive 4 to 6 ft. cuts ! And like clock-work, every year, I get emails and texts from non-familiar-hunters, showing me pix of the cut that they're all giddy about. And I have to keep explaining that cuts on this beach don't mean much.

Sand is being dumped on Ambersand, Golden Sands, Treasure Shores south to Wabasso beach. Then they will lay off (baring hurricane emergency erosion) until November when they will start at Wabasso, south to Seagrape, Turtle Trail south to Sea Watch condos.

Good luck! Maybe we will have that sand stoppage mentioned above.

You are very kind! The exact information I needed. My wife and I will be there when the weather is a bit warmer. I let you know if we did well and probably share where we went.

You are very kind! The exact information I needed. My wife and I will be there when the weather is a bit warmer. I let you know if we did well and probably share where we went.

Good luck. Try to catch it just after a storm with north winds for 24 hours min. Also google “treasure beaches report”.

Oh and this sand is trucked from inland sand mines.

HH

Here in Delaware they pumped sand back on the beach, unfortunately they hit a spot containing WW2 scraps containing shrapnel, chunks of ordinances, and unused ammo.... cool finding .50 cal rounds but the shrapnel rings up in multiple juicy tones ya gotta dig and makes for long days stopping every three steps lol

I've been on the Treasure Coast since mid Dec. I've been down the Coast from Cocoa Beach to Turtle Trail. From Patrick AF Base down the north of Wabasso is all being replenished. Like already mentioned, with mined sand not ocean dredged. Seagrape was closed (I believe they've started work now) when I detected Turtle Trail a few weeks ago. Turtle Trail has not been touch but read it's slated this year. This Coast has few harbors/inlets and Jetties to possible block sand movement but we can only hope. For now it's tough hunting and not looking good for the near future in my opinion. Hunted North of Maclarity's Museum today. N. winds 15 to 20. High surf. Three foot cuts for a mile or more Three foot fake cuts in the new sand. 35 cents in the pouch. Beach detecting gonna suck round here for a while. When will people realize the Ocean will always win.

Dredging

I was at Stuart about 15-20 years ago, before I started metal detecting again, and went to a beach where there was a 2 foot diameter pipe laying along the beach. I could hear the sand and larger objects going through that pipe. There was a large ship anchored about 1/4 mile off shore and i assumed that was the dredge and source of the sand going through the pipe. If that was the case, I would think that, given the sunken ship history in that area, that there's a good chance that some gold is being deposited along with the dredged sand.

Disclaimer: I know diddly about dredging. Could I be right?

... that there's a good chance that some gold is being deposited along with the dredged sand.

Disclaimer: I know diddly about dredging. Could I be right?

togamac, I am skeptical of whether or not coins (and heavy targets) get pickup up by the dredges. I think they just get sand, and light-weight cr#p like aluminum, is all. They leave rocks and heavier items on the ocean floor (since that was never their objective to begin with).

I might be wrong about other places and other types dredges, but that's what I've seen where I'm at. Also, the places they dredge where I'm at, are not swimming (or treasure-ship-wreck) locations in the first place. They're just boat slip-dock areas, boat travel-channels, etc.... So perhaps my observation is simply because there's not likely to be any coins there , IN THE FIRST PLACE. But I do know that aluminum comes in with the dredged sand , which has made me think that it's not sucking up heavier items. Who knows ?

Replenishment ruined Va Beach for detecting

We've been victims of beach replenishment here for about 20 years. The sand comes from dredging operations in the shipping channels of the Chesapeake Bay. Unfortunately, the deep water sand they're pumping on the beach is a much coarser grit, almost like gravel compared to the soft, fine gray natural beach. Because there's so much more space between sand grains, drops that used to be detectable for a year or more now sink out of range within about 2 weeks. The glory days of beach hunting are gone here.

togamac, I am skeptical of whether or not coins (and heavy targets) get pickup up by the dredges. I think they just get sand, and light-weight cr#p like aluminum, is all. They leave rocks and heavier items on the ocean floor (since that was never their objective to begin with).

I might be wrong about other places and other types dredges, but that's what I've seen where I'm at. Also, the places they dredge where I'm at, are not swimming (or treasure-ship-wreck) locations in the first place. They're just boat slip-dock areas, boat travel-channels, etc.... So perhaps my observation is simply because there's not likely to be any coins there , IN THE FIRST PLACE. But I do know that aluminum comes in with the dredged sand , which has made me think that it's not sucking up heavier items. Who knows ?
Remember that "fake" cut I was talking about earlier ? Well , that area was being pumped from a small channel that between 2 small rock jetties that fed an inland waterway , with a bridge nearby. Many a fisherman there. I was fooled by the few coins and all the sinkers I could dig thinking there had to be gold. After 45 minutes I looked around and snapped out of my stupor... So down here I know for a fact they suck up the heavy's.

... know for a fact they suck up the heavy's.

Now that you mention it, we do find fishing sinkers in this eroded/dredged sand. But zero coins. HOWEVER, this could be that (let's be honest) there's no one swimming (and thus loosing coins) underneath boat launch platforms.

And as for my second experience, where it was ONLY aluminum can slaw : That too was under a wharf area, where ... it just might be .... that there's simply no coins/rings (d/t no swimming, etc....).

Ok, then..... shucks.... we just need the fabled off-shore shallow-water-wrecks like FL, and then I might expect cobs to be pumped ashore :/

The trip to Treasure Coast was very unsuccessful.
Our first stop, parking spot total approx. 30. Including my wife and I, there were 8 detectors scouring that beach! All 30 spots were full.
I did find a fishing reel handle and a very old bullet casing that was unreadable and deteriorated. The handle had been there a long time too. I was surprised that no one else had dug these up. Some can slaw and screws too.
Some people had large scoops, some were in the water. I read that only a small hand trowel is legal and of course, no water detecting. I hate to risk doing things that are against the law, it gives detectorists a bad name.
Don't think I will go back unless there is some good erosion there and not here where I live.

Back
Top Bottom