Newbe from SE Pennsylvania

Greenejn

Hello all, Very new here and to the hobby.
Retired Army Veteran.
I'v had my Garrett AT MAX for about 3 years but have not gotten out that much. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and getting the itch again.

Had a bad experience 3 years ago, got permission to hunt in a state park, got kicked out by a park rancher because he didn't like the hand digger I was using. Said that I could only use a screw driver....Geez. Never tried to go back since then..

Hope to learn a lot from all of you. And good luck finding your treasures..

John

Had a bad experience 3 years ago, got permission to hunt in a state park, got kicked out by a park rancher because he didn't like the hand digger I was using. Said that I could only use a screw driver....Geez.

Welcome from CA to FMDF.

Just curious why you felt you "needed permission" from the particular PA state park you were about to detect at ? Was it via the FMDAC state-by-state list, that seems to imply for PA: ".... with permission from each park office" ? If so, there's a bit of explanation about how that list (and the silly answers contained therein) came into being, in the first place.

And your experience does indeed go to show the arbitrary nature of this entire notion that "once someone gives you a princely blessing", that you are now free to waltz nilly willy, and deflect any & all lookie-lous. It is always STILL subject to all sorts of other things that the next passerby objects to. Eg.: "We didn't know you'd be digging", or "Oh you can't take or remove anything", etc......

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Gary mds5.gif

Had a bad experience 3 years ago, got permission to hunt in a state park, got kicked out by a park rancher because he didn't like the hand digger I was using. Said that I could only use a screw driver....

Yes that is the rule in PA state parks.

Welcome from Chester County! Good luck.

Last edited:
Hello all, Very new here and to the hobby.
Retired Army Veteran.
I'v had my Garrett AT MAX for about 3 years but have not gotten out that much. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos and getting the itch again.

Had a bad experience 3 years ago, got permission to hunt in a state park, got kicked out by a park rancher because he didn't like the hand digger I was using. Said that I could only use a screw driver....Geez. Never tried to go back since then..

Hope to learn a lot from all of you. And good luck finding your treasures..

John

Welcome from a fellow PA resident and retired Army vet. Sorry to hear you had an issue with digging in a state park. Although state park rules state "only a screwdriver is allowed" the rangers in the central part of the state have no problem with me using a shovel or hand digger as long as I cut a clean plug and clean up well. Good luck in the future.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom