more problems with the equinox 800

So true ! Nox is a great machine for me in the wet sand , and the cost is great. Plus I can use it on land. But is it better than an excal or a good pulse machine in the water ? NO WAY !

Even a pulse on wetsand in the right hands ain't gettin beat. Only respectable unit I haven't compared it too is a modded excal. All others were tossed out.

GreenMeanie, nope, the volume just got lower and lower until i heard zero and could look at the screen and see the machine was detecting things but not sounding off.
dewcon, I feel your pain, those were pricey coils.
TNTGross, from my experience no, it's not all it is advertised to be. Excals are pricey, and they do not sell a machine cheaper which will compete.
Cfmct, totally agree. I only got it because my trusty old excal was finally beyond repair and at the time I didn't have a few grand laying around to pick up a new excal. I have a "new to me" excal coming soon and am very much looking forward to it!

Zee.. I was talking with a very good hunter yesterday and he told me a friend of his has gone through 4 Nox detectors each one suffering from water intrusion...

make it your wet/dry/dirt machine get another excal ;)

Zee.. I was talking with a very good hunter yesterday and he told me a friend of his has gone through 4 Nox detectors each one suffering from water intrusion...

make it your wet/dry/dirt machine get another excal ;)

That’s bizarre. I’ve dunked mine on tons of hunts without issue. If it breaks there’s a warranty. It’s paid for itself over and over and replaced a modded excal and a Deus. I have zero regrets. I loved my Deus and excal too. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the majority of my hunting in the water to around chest deep which completely submerges the machine. I use the Excaliber II and it has performed very well. no issues. Important to hose off the machine & shaft with fresh water after use.

I haven't been that active on the forum lately, didn't know that many people were having issues, last I looked it was only zee and me, and I think one other guy. Dew was the good example at that time of someone that was working the Nox hard in the surf and the Nox was holding up ;) , and Scuba at the time was using his regularly at 6ft or so deep.

I will admit Minelab was very quick with the replacement and didn't hassle me at all. The issue on my side is shipping time, shipping costs, import taxes and an issue with the lithium ion battery last time. All in all not really worth me dunking it at this point, will stick with the cz-21 if I'm devoting the day to the water.

Good video Dew, sure wish I saw that a few days ago before spending 30 bucks on fedex. If they know this is an issue and tell customers to do it it must be breaking the warranty, right? Seems odd they would tell costumers to open up the water proof area of the machine ...

Mine went from water in the screen to dead within 30seconds. Cd error. No time for burping ;)

Zee....... my understand is thats what you are doing when swapping out the battery..... and that isnt suppose to void the warranty. BUT.... until some of the batteries start going i dont think we know how ML stands on replacing them and opening up that area.

Man, you guys are making the Nox sound like trash compared to an excal for water based hunting... I'll water hunt any beach any day of the week with my Nox up against your Excal's and I guarantee I'll out hunt you lol

600 plus hours now, all 100% in the water, with strong currents, waves, etc... 0 issues.

I'm guessing the reason most of you have had issues with saltwater using this machine is proper maintenance and care. It's important to keep the headphones plugged in at all times in the water/at the beach, they should stay plugged in until you get home, submerge the machine in a bathtub or hose it off really good, once it's dry unplug them and place the cap back on...

Keep digging all those pennies and trash signals while I rake up the gold with Mr Nox.

Man, you guys are making the Nox sound like trash compared to an excal for water based hunting... I'll water hunt any beach any day of the week with my Nox up against your Excal's and I guarantee I'll out hunt you lol

600 plus hours now, all 100% in the water, with strong currents, waves, etc... 0 issues.

I'm guessing the reason most of you have had issues with saltwater using this machine is proper maintenance and care. It's important to keep the headphones plugged in at all times in the water/at the beach, they should stay plugged in until you get home, submerge the machine in a bathtub or hose it off really good, once it's dry unplug them and place the cap back on...

Keep digging all those pennies and trash signals while I rake up the gold with Mr Nox.

Sometimes those penny and trash signals are yellow in color... and I doubt your Nox is deeper than my modded Excal... :D

Wow pretty sure of that Nox. I wouldn’t discount an Xcal thou just because you have a lot of hours. Problems with any machine tend to get amplified on these forums. I wouldn’t sweat a few issues considering the numbers produced AND the warranty. I suspect after 3 years it’s paid for and if you haven’t had a problem you may not.

This machine was replaced about 2 months ago because the first one flooded. Anyway, i was hunting in the ocean, waist deep more or less, and i noticed the audio got more and more faint and scratchy. It got to the point that looking at the screen you could see it was detecting things but gave zero audio response. I unplugged the headphones several times, blew them out to make sure it was not water and plugged them back in, same thing. Even with the headphones unplugged the audio is messed up, some audio, scratchy noise and it cuts off...
Oh the joys of a first year production model!
I am contacting my dealer here trying to see what they will do for me, fingers crossed...

Sorry to hear ☹️ about that, hope you get it rectified.

Sometimes those penny and trash signals are yellow in color... and I doubt your Nox is deeper than my modded Excal... :D

Next time we hunt together which hopefully will be soon, I want you to call me over next time you get a signal you think the nox won't hear.

I’M curious about the advice to keep the headphones plugged in all the time at the beach. Is there any evidence to suggest that the headphone connector has been the source of any leaks???

I’M curious about the advice to keep the headphones plugged in all the time at the beach. Is there any evidence to suggest that the headphone connector has been the source of any leaks???

If you keep it plugged in until after a home rinse and a dry you are screwing up. I used to do that until i saw the plug was turning green in a day. I get home, unplug and blow mine out with fresh water right in the headphone hole. No rot that way.

I believe it’s the screen expanding. That jack is in there good Rick. Other option might be the battery. But I’d be surprised. If it was salt water in the battery area would make things happen before u see water in the screen.

Next time we hunt together which hopefully will be soon, I want you to call me over next time you get a signal you think the nox won't hear.

Results will vary. But where me and Kapi hunt we have tried that. Some targets an excal won't hear. And some tones an excal hears deep a nox says it is 100 percent iron. But we hunt in pure sand without rock and few shells. You see an actual rock here it came from someones yard:laughing:

I believe it’s the screen expanding. That jack is in there good Rick. Other option might be the battery. But I’d be surprised. If it was salt water in the battery area would make things happen before u see water in the screen.

My CTX actually leaked at the screen. Likely gonna do it with
a nox as well.

Back
Top Bottom