1826 Half Cent ~ What to Do?

Buellride

Forum Supporter
So I posted my Half Cent on the mind blowing thread.....it is very worn but you can easily see the wreath on the reverse and the writing on the front. I have it soaking in olive oil right now but what else can I do to further accentuate the details of the coin?

I really don't want to do the old toothbrush and paste method and I have tried to clean it up a bit with Qtips with limited success......so are there other ideas?

There is no plan to try to sell the coin in the future, maybe getting it graded but that is the extent of it.

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't do anything else to it. If you can make out the the type of coin and see a date...other than knocking the visible dirt off, then leave it be. But if you want to try cleaning it more, try the freeze/thaw method. I place the coin in a ice cube tray with water...freeze and thaw it. But only do this a few times, ive lost detail by doing this too many times.

I don't know what your coin looks like but many coppers are ruined by excessive cleaning . If the detail isn't there then all the preparation in the world isnt going to change that. Also unless you can determine it is a rare date or variety getting it graded by a service could cost more than it is worth.

Just the thread I was looking for! I too found a half cent 1794 in very good condition, along with a 1797 large cent. Both have tons of detail, but have a green patina that hides a lot of the smaller details. I was told by our local coin expert that I should soak them in olive oil for a month or two and use a cotton swab and gently wipe off any loosened material. I want to clean them up, but like OP said, these are finds of a lifetime and I would probably cry if I ruined them.

Hey guys ive got an 1852 large cent and 1829 half cent. I did just room temp peroxide and it did okay but theres still plenty of crud. But i may just leave them. I wanted to clean them up hustling for pictures sake but i got enough detail to read the date and make out the coin type. These arent worth much in this kind of condition is what i heard. So its a toss up whether i should clean them or not.

In my experience, hot peroxide only works well on flying eagle pennies and newer. Large cents tend to lose detail.

Back
Top Bottom