1780s Silver 1/2 Reale

Xaquin

Elite Member
this poor fellow has been abused.

some doof tried to make it a button and failed. It's tarnished and has crud on it not to mention the melted metal.

it has no value, so I certainly wouldn't mind making it cleaner. That said, I'd also hate to lose what little detail does remain.

any ideas?

431302_10150546137798279_630298278_8641087_803889136_n.jpg

431302_10150546137833279_630298278_8641089_784506918_n.jpg

edit: I should also mention that there IS more detail than these photos show. Looking through my loupe, I can make out almost all of the letters and even some of the crest details on the back.

wow, that is in bad shape, not sure how to get it cleaned up other than putting in a tumbler for awhile and go from there.

Electrolysis, my 3 cent slver had crud like that on it, and it came off, I zapped it for 1 min cycles, zap for a minutes, remove, check, zap again.....do till your satisfied.

You'd be surprised. From my coin tumbling experience I cannot tell where any detail had been rubbed off of coins. I'd definitely tumble it. I'm afraid to scratch a coin by electrolysis.

hmmmm well, I don't have a tumbler or the nerve to try electrolysis, so I guess it's toothpaste for me!

unless anyone can think of a gentler way to clean it?

the freezing and heating did wonders for a lot of the gunk, but what about the tarnish?

You'd be surprised. From my coin tumbling experience I cannot tell where any detail had been rubbed off of coins. I'd definitely tumble it. I'm afraid to scratch a coin by electrolysis.

:?::?: electrolysis doesn't scratch coins :?::?:

Silver polish

I have some tarn-x ....

I've been using the melted side as a test as it was unreadable anyway

so far I've uncovered almost all of the letters and some of the crest =)

the last two date numbers are lost though =(

Back
Top Bottom