Dry ground?

BGdigger1

Do any of you guys dig dry ground? If so, do you carry water to put in the hole? I haven't been able to get out for a few weeks and now its dry and I don't want to damage yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Only in my own yard will I water a plug, If it's too dry I hunt places where my holes don't matter as much. Old gravel parking areas next to the river or park are a favorite spot. Screw driver and a hammer works great in gravel.

When it gets so dry and hard you need a pick axe to get into it I head for the woods. Plugs don't matter, just kick the dirt back in the hole. Not going to be hitting a strangers yard in those conditions.

Yeah, when it's this hot and dry don't dig where keeping the ground cover alive is going to matter.

In this type of dirt , I like to use M-80s. Have some fun while hunting ! I don't do yards . More in less populated areas.

Only in my own yard will I water a plug, If it's too dry I hunt places where my holes don't matter as much. Old gravel parking areas next to the river or park are a favorite spot. Screw driver and a hammer works great in gravel.

Dang that is an excellent idea! Screwdriver and a hammer, sweet. I have some hard graveled area that frustrated me and it still might but now I have a chance.
Thank you!

Dang that is an excellent idea! Screwdriver and a hammer, sweet. I have some hard graveled area that frustrated me and it still might but now I have a chance.
Thank you!

If your good at pinpointing and guessing depth it's quick and easy, just drive the screwdriver down an inch or 2 away from the target and a little deeper and smack the driver back

Like others have said. I don't dig yards in the hot, dry, heat. That's unkempt curbstrip season.

Been digging dirt clods for days. Permission properties lately, one of em is going to put down material and mulch. Another neighbor who gave permission tonight has planters which are dead dry will be dirt clods as well, third neighbor permission given tonight as well more dirt clods with a twist. Ok his property somewhere lost a 5k platinum wedding ring.
Went to local park the other day it was awesome with their watering great plugs were able to be cut. Targets were more modern than anything else.. think someone’s hit it hard.
Must find more silver haha. Only one silver dime so far.

No rain, concrete like dirt...unless we get a soaking rain I usually just sit this time of the year out until fall.

same here in Georgia. I forget about fields covered in grass. They are rock hard. Head to lake beach, volley ball court and tot lots. Sometimes move into the woods where the leaf bed retains some moisture.

same here in Georgia. I forget about fields covered in grass. They are rock hard. Head to lake beach, volley ball court and tot lots. Sometimes move into the woods where the leaf bed retains some moisture.

Man I have never had an issue hunting the woods in the summer time until this year. Last month I must have stepped directly onto the yellow jackets nest because I was covered before I knew I was on it. Took 30 plus stings while losing my hat shirt, and I couldn't get out of my pants because I was running and swatting.

Shoot I'm still shook by it. I leave NCToad any over grown areas. I not risking it again lol.

Fortunately the soil where I detect is not hard clay, but rather shallow topsoil that is easy to dig in the summer and fall. I do bring 3 one gallon jugs of water with me when I head out to detect, so that when I am detecting a private lawn or grassy curb strip, I can put a generous amount of H2O in the hole right before I hinge back in the horseshoe plug I've cut with the lesche. Keeps peoples' yards and lawns nice and green! I have the other 2 jugs as back up in case I cannot get access to a outdoor faucet to refill my "in use" jug.

Back
Top Bottom