World War II - Golden Pilot's Class Ring - Freeman Field Indiana

Amazing !!! I hope it finds its way back to the owner or family, then if you could here the stories behind it. :shock: what a find!!!

Nice find! I agree with LoyMilam, you'll have a hard time topping this find.
John

Thank you for your post. Wow, I didn't know there were so many different rings.
The ring in the list you have posted describes this ring as an officer's ring. Does anyone knows if all students from Freeman Field were officer's?

This ring has a hallmark:

IMAG0030.jpg

Freeman Field (AAF) was a twin-engine flight school at Seymour, Indiana. Each of the hundreds of cadet graduates could purchase the ring in the Exchange. The plane depicted on the side is a two-seater AT-10 Beechcraft, made mostly of wood.

Freeman Field, after the close of WW2, and for one short year was the depository for captured enemy planes. Some were flown to Freeman, or brought over on ships. German, Japanese, Italian, British and Experimental American planes were once here. All were restored and evaluated and either passed on to Wright-Patterson AB, Columbus, Ohio, or to the various museums. Most of the planes you see in these museums that carry "FE" on the tail (Foreign Evaluation) were originally at Freeman.

Visit www.IndianaMilitary.org for the official website for the Freeman Air Museum and many other Bases and posts in South Central Indiana.

Jim West, Webmaster

Hi Jim,
Good to see you on this forum!

Our paths crossed several years ago regarding German POWs in Indiana.

Kind Regards,
Simon.

Definitely WOrld War 2

During the war years the Air force was formally titled. US Army Air Force. That's exactly how the ring is marked and showing a P38 and the word Pilot says it all.
Such a pity, but it would be darn near impossible to trace back to the family.
A beautiful find and a part of history!

Back
Top Bottom