Monster Hunt Scores an 18K Ring!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I was looking forward to doing some detecting at the beach today since the weather was going to be overcast and rainy which is a good day for me.:rain: The tides were off but I figured it wouldn’t matter as I would take the Fisher and just do whatever wet sand was available, and if it rained it wouldn’t matter. I forgot to wear a watch but I had my cell phone encased in a Ziploc and I noticed that I started at about 10am.

It was miserable and windy and the surf was crashing in. Only kite surfers were off shore. My goal was to detect between 2 lifeguard stations. I started and could barely do any wet sand since the surf was so rough. I basically did lots of “dry” sand which was just beyond the reach of the waves as they came in for the most part but the sand was mostly wet. I knew after some time hunting that I was having a good day. :yes: I thought I was over 100 coins and I noticed the 2 Canadian coins and I knew that I had at least one more unexpected wheatie. I was however a bit disappointed that I had not found any jewelry item – not even junk! :no:

As I got the lifeguard station and my hunt was going to its end I scored what I thought to be a stainless ring. I found one more coin and I was done. As I went to wash up my legs and the equipment at the wash station I took out my phone and noticed it was just past 3pm! I had hunted for 5 hours!! :wow: That was a lot for me but the weather was very forgiving so I had hardly noticed.

I get home and started counting the clad. I got over 200 coins for a total of $12.02 with the 2 Canadians and 2 wheats. I had needed 170 coins to surpass my goal of 4,000 for the year so now that’s done! :thumbsup: I also found 2 keys that were not pictured. I start taking a good luck at the ring and notice that although it’s small it’s quite heavy. I put on my reading glasses and start to look for any markings inside. I barely see some numbers with a “K”. I then give the ring to my children who have better eyesight and they tell me that it says “18K”. :woohoo: I of course start doing the happy dance my friends! :dance: I don’t have a test kit but I did test it with the Deleon’s VDI #’s and it’s coming in the 50’s (right above nickels) which is a good sign. :yes: I will take it tomorrow and weigh it at school but it is heavy. This is definitely my best ring find to date! What an awesome day of detecting!!! :confetti::stars:

UPDATE: Added picture with ring weight!

Attachments

• 10-30-11 web.jpg
    10-30-11 web.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 647
  • 10-30-11 Canadian Web.JPG
    10-30-11 Canadian Web.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 633
  • 10-30-Wheats web.JPG
    10-30-Wheats web.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 639
  • 10-30-11 Ring.jpg
    10-30-11 Ring.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 635
  • 10-30-11 Ring 2.jpg
    10-30-11 Ring 2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 652
  • Ring Close up.jpg
    Ring Close up.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 639
  • Ring Weight.jpg
    Ring Weight.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
18K.... wow that has to be a heavy ring. Great find..... and the amount of coins is something too.

Dew

What an ugly ring no wonder someone threw it away :lol: Congrats on the ring and clad finds ;)

I think the ring design is cool. Beats the same everyday round ring

What a unique shape of ring. Obviously designed to keep all the fingers in proper alignment. If it's 18 kt, the ice should be the real deal too.

Nice find!!

Raphis

That's a lot of digging you did there but looks like the hard work paid off. :excited:

What an ugly ring no wonder someone threw it away :lol: Congrats on the ring and clad finds ;)

Couldn't agree more. One of the ugliest rings ever, defitely has ARA written on it. Great finds. That ring must have slowed you down on the way back to the car. Probably killed your MPG on your car too.

Back
Top Bottom