Here is a SLQ that I can keep.

With the curent television shows where they find coins and artifacts worth thousands of dollars in every hunt, people think that is what everyone finds each time. You can't really blame them for wanting their share since you are hunting their property. When you show them the few coins that you have found they think that you are probably hiding many more. Some even want money up front to hunt since they know that you are going to find much more. That's why I stick to hunting public property like parks and such.

Big Congrats on the SLQ, they don't pop up too often. Yep, it's not wise to show what you found because they may want to keep it or they may feel like they got the short end of the stick for letting you detect their yard. When someone says that they let me detect their yard if I spit what I find with them. I usually say no thanks. Sometimes I say that I will agree to split my finds with them if they're willing to spit the overhead cost with me as well. Detectors, batteries, equipment, and gas ain't cheap; I figure I'd come out ahead.

BTW, what settings were you using?

beephead

I use the Equinox 600 in all metal, field 2,the volume on T1 set at 0/1,threshold at 0, 5 tone, accept and reject on T1 is set at 1, recovery speed is at 2, and FE at 0. I hope this helps I'm still new at this machine.

#1 - Great find! I'm glad you could keep that SLQ!

#2 - This is why I seldom show my best finds to the land owners. I'm super careful about "getting a feel for the land owner" first. Last year I excitedly texted the land owner my 1870s crotal bell find. The best one I have ever found. And he immediately texted back that it had been lost by his grandfather and since it is his property it should be returned to the family. Now, it might have been from his grandfather, but that's unlikely as the site was an old field site where many thousands people had gathered over the years. In the end though, I gave him the bell. I thought to myself, it's a bell. Really why do I need it?

#3) On the flip side, I have also shown my good finds to people involved in the city's historical society - only to get more permissions or at least leads or hot tips for the next site!

I don't do many permissions unless I already know he people who own the property True , I may not I the end find as much as people who regularly door knock but at least
what I find is mine . As I have gotten older I appreciate privacy and the sanctity of my own "castle" . I don't feel right knocking on people's doors and possibly interrupting their activities .
I'm glad to see you finally got a nice standing Liberty you could keep . Congratulations .

Fascinating discussion. I've only searched one yard that belonged to my mom's friend. I asked before I started if she'd lost anything of value that I should be looking for. She hadn't. When I was done I had a handful of clad, one silver dime, a chauffeur's badge, and a Fossil watch. I laid them all out for her to see and asked if she wanted any of it. She found them interesting but allowed me to keep everything.

I have to agree with Toy Soldier, not revealing your finds is dishonest. I know I'm new to the forum, and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but that's my thought.

And congrats, Dan B., for finding a great keeper!

With the curent television shows where they find coins and artifacts worth thousands of dollars in every hunt, people think that is what everyone finds each time. You can't really blame them for wanting their share since you are hunting their property. When you show them the few coins that you have found they think that you are probably hiding many more. Some even want money up front to hunt since they know that you are going to find much more. That's why I stick to hunting public property like parks and such.

#1 - Great find! I'm glad you could keep that SLQ!

#2 - This is why I seldom show my best finds to the land owners. I'm super careful about "getting a feel for the land owner" first. Last year I excitedly texted the land owner my 1870s crotal bell find. The best one I have ever found. And he immediately texted back that it had been lost by his grandfather and since it is his property it should be returned to the family. Now, it might have been from his grandfather, but that's unlikely as the site was an old field site where many thousands people had gathered over the years. In the end though, I gave him the bell. I thought to myself, it's a bell. Really why do I need it?

#3) On the flip side, I have also shown my good finds to people involved in the city's historical society - only to get more permissions or at least leads or hot tips for the next site!

I don't do many permissions unless I already know he people who own the property True , I may not I the end find as much as people who regularly door knock but at least
what I find is mine . As I have gotten older I appreciate privacy and the sanctity of my own "castle" . I don't feel right knocking on people's doors and possibly interrupting their activities .
I'm glad to see you finally got a nice standing Liberty you could keep . Congratulations .

Fascinating discussion. I've only searched one yard that belonged to my mom's friend. I asked before I started if she'd lost anything of value that I should be looking for. She hadn't. When I was done I had a handful of clad, one silver dime, a chauffeur's badge, and a Fossil watch. I laid them all out for her to see and asked if she wanted any of it. She found them interesting but allowed me to keep everything.

I have to agree with Toy Soldier, not revealing your finds is dishonest. I know I'm new to the forum, and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but that's my thought.

And congrats, Dan B., for finding a great keeper!

I mainly hunt fields where old towns had once existed or a random house. If I do knock on a door and get permission I will ask how long the family has lived there and if they have lost anyting.

There has been some places that has been in the family for a hundred plus years. If I find old relics on the property I do let the property owners look at them. If they are interested I have given them back to the family. Here recently I did a private home where three generations had lived . I found several Indian Head pennies and some very nice early wheat pennies and did give to the property owner and he was very grateful.

...what do I say when I'm about to leave with a pocket full of silver and gold and they ask if I found anything good? If I say "oh, nothing" then I'm a liar and a thief, and if I hold back even one item then I'm still a thief......

Word gets around.

Your right it is his property but it's still a slimy thing to do to a guy, let him work all day knowing well that he want's to keep his finds and then take them because he wasn't clear up front. It would be no different than letting a neighbor's kid cut your lawn for some extra money and then paying him a penny because the kid never set a price up front.

I've only searched one yard that belonged to my mom's friend. I asked before I started if she'd lost anything of value that I should be looking for. She hadn't. When I was done I had a handful of clad, one silver dime, a chauffeur's badge, and a Fossil watch. I laid them all out for her to see and asked if she wanted any of it. She found them interesting but allowed me to keep everything.

I was pretty vague in my initial post about how I feel about this topic of sharing or not sharing finds with a private property owner... all I said was that I know “that I need to be careful how I manage things when hunting private property”. Here’s my full take, for what it’s worth:

In my opinion, it’s equally low for a detectorist to withhold finds from a property owner as it is for a property owner to just take everything found during a hunt and leaving the MDer with nothing except the trash. Toysoldier’s post is spot on IMO - withholding finds feels slimy. I know, because I’ve done it - and I only needed to do it once to realize I never wanted to do it again. In a way, it’s a slippery slope...if you can justify that, you can almost justify hunting private property without permission, can’t you? At the same time, Ron71 has a point too - a property owner taking all the finds completely disrespects a detectorist’s time, experience, and investment in equipment.

The solution in my experience has been simple - I really talk with the person I’ve secured permission with. That doesn’t mean I have to spend a lot of time talking to them - sometimes I glean all I need to know instantly, sometimes it takes a few minutes, depends on the person. But here’s my key when asking permission: if they say “yes”, I always ask “are you interested in seeing what I find?” It’s amazing how many say something like, “Nah, have fun”. But any other response, and I use the opportunity to lay some basic ground rules - I don’t make it sound like rules, but it helps me gauge the kind of person I’m dealing with. I might say something like “Ok, I’ll knock once I’m done and show you. I collect trade tokens and old coins, so I’d like to keep those if I find any. But anything of significant value, it’s customary to split - is that ok?” I find that the response I get to this tells me everything I need to know. Assuming they don’t say something that raises big red flags, I go hunt. And yes, I’ve walked away from “yes” permissions.

Finally, I hold to my word....if they want to see the finds, at the end of the hunt I show them everything, right down to the trash if they let me! As V mentioned, I find that people are interested in the story/history behind the items, but ultimately they’ve always let me keep everything. Eventually someone is going to want to keep something, but I’ve been amazed that in almost 2 years of detecting, it hasn’t happened yet.

And yes, if I find an 1874 CC Seated dime on private property, I’d be honest and reveal to the property owner that we’ve got something special. Call me crazy.

All that said, there’s always a grey area. What’s “significantly valuable” enough to point out to an owner? $1000 coin, definitely. $100 coin? Probably. What about a $20 seated dime? Starting to get into the grey area there. What about two or three $20 seated dimes? What do you do about the honking 18k gold ring circa 1920 at a house owned by someone who bought the property in 2008 if jewelry isn’t specifically talked about? Honestly, it’s a problem I wish I had!

.........All that said, there’s always a grey area. What’s “significantly valuable” enough to point out to an owner? $1000 coin, definitely. $100 coin? Probably. What about a $20 seated dime? Starting to get into the grey area there. What about two or three $20 seated dimes? What do you do about the honking 18k gold ring circa 1920 at a house owned by someone who bought the property in 2008 if jewelry isn’t specifically talked about? Honestly, it’s a problem I wish I had!

Excellent reply. I think a little part of the gray area clears up based on whether the property owner makes it a point to be around when we finish. It's hard for me to assume they DON'T want to see the goodies (and possibly keep some of them) if they're home and haven't indicated one way or the other. So, you either clear it up in advance or show them everything on your way out.

If they aren't going to be around when you finish up, either at their home property or at some field or vacant lot they own, and they don't mention how or when you need to follow up with them, then there's mounting evidence they really aren't interested in anything short of a treasure chest.

Most people have never been approached by a detectorist, but detectorists seeking private property permissions think about these issues all the time. A homeowner friendly enough to let you hunt might not have thought far enough ahead to what they'd like to keep. I think it's up to the more experienced person to take ownership of that situation without taking advantage of it. On the other hand, I'm not saying we have to twist their arm into caring about what we find.

Actually, they're providing the land and opportunity to hunt and dig, as well as taking a risk/liability of you being on their property, especially if they don't know you or you're new at the hobby. Plus, there's the simple fact that anything in their dirt is their property, whether they would have ever dug it up or not. Maybe their grandkids would have one day. I think you're overvaluing what we're offering, especially if the plan all along is to abscond with any goodies.

The mistake in the original post was not being on the same page about the results of the hunt, and there's no reason to do any of the seriously "unfriendly" things others have suggested. Hopefully nobody thinking about letting somebody metal detect their yard ever sees this discussion.

I have two permission hunts lined up for spring, including one on private property where there was a documented civil war fort. I'll go in assuming they want to see anything interesting or of value even though they haven't explicitly said so. On the second hunt we agreed that I will keep the coins and they keep the house relics and jewelry. If I only find coins and junk, at least that's what they agreed upon. Plus, there's a good chance they'll let me hunt again because after a few hours there's almost always more promising signals than what I have the chance to explore, and I'll tell them if that's the case.

If I just assume "finder's keepers" then what do I say when I'm about to leave with a pocket full of silver and gold and they ask if I found anything good? If I say "oh, nothing" then I'm a liar and a thief, and if I hold back even one item then I'm still a thief. Yet, when I reveal the handful of goodies I was about to take while incorrectly and conveniently assuming they wouldn't be interested in seeing or keeping any of it, how do I handle that? "Gosh, I didn't think you'd be interested in the 100 dollars worth of silver coins in your yard!!! My bad!" That looks real bad, as does strangely never finding anything of value, especially if it's a friend of the family or co-worker. Word gets around.

You are new to this Sport aintcha? :laughing::laughing: Treasure hunters and Pirates aint Philanthropists! Your kind of thinking is faulty!

Hell...what is the sense in that? Why not just show up and rake some guys leaves for free if thats what you want to do?

"Thank you for your permission to rake your leaves on your property, I will be going now, is there anything else I can do for you today?":laughing:

All a guy has to say is "nope, just Pennies and Pulltabs!" I can assure you as a detectorist, you are already judged gaily, so your 'reputation in the Community' is shot all to hell from jump...So why prove the point by meekly handing over the silvers? Pirate or Philanthropist?...The dirt belongs to US!

Thats the thing about hunting a private property! The initial conversation with the landowner and agreement regarding the finds! If a landowner expects you to give them all your finds, or if you are gonna split, or if they just dont care and you can keep them all...its all about that agreement..

This is no different than a guy going out to find a lost object on the beach or in the snow...You gotta get the agreement stated solid or you would be better off spending your time and skills hunting clad in a totlot!...You gotta get the deal nailed down FIRST!

So lets say a guy finds a $100K meteorite or a $20 gold coin hoard...then whadarya gonna do? Its all good being a philanthropist in theory...a few bad experiences with property owners claiming all your finds, or a ring return with a "ThankYou" or less sure makes hunting totters for clad look pretty appealing...

Get the understanding nailed down to the satisfaction of both parties...or go hunt someplace else somewhere...

When hunting private property keep a few dug wheats in your pocket. If they want to see what you found, show them the junk and a couple of wheats!

"Thank you for your permission to rake your leaves on your property, I will be going now, is there anything else I can do for you today?":laughing:

I never wrote anything about doing anything for free. The point is that if the property owner isn't interested in either letting you keep the goodies, or at least a fair split (if you think the property is worth it), then you don't detect their property. Pretty simple.

If they don't ask I don't show, and if they do ask I have a pocket full of dug coins at all times I can show them. We work hard for our treasure, I'll be damned if I let someone take my one silver quarter that just took me 8 hours to find... Awesome SLQ! Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom