How to pick the right curb strip for old coins

WHATS GOING ON MY HOOLIGANS?!??!!?!?!

Figured i'd give this a quick 2018 bump for all the new people.

Also, since I haven't been on in awhile I figured I'd show my ugly mug 😂

Reading your thread inspired me, and I checked out the curb strips near me. I liked the result. Gonna go back there this weekend and try the other side of the street; I hope to maybe find my first-ever silver.

Great bump, Swing - this is still one of my favorite informational threads on the forum! Got me started on curb strip hunting with a huge head start!

Great bump, Swing - this is still one of my favorite informational threads on the forum! Got me started on curb strip hunting with a huge head start!

That's what I like to hear! I even come back to it a few times a year just to re-read it if I find myself in a rut or am just looking for a slightly different persepective I may have missed.

Admittedly, I haven't hit a curb in some time... I confess my sins however and accept my penance of fininding one and giving a proper updatw to this thread. :cool:

There is still quite a bit I/we can cover that hasn't been yet.

Just want to bump this for all our new folks and old folks that may need a refresher

Great thread! Dont know how ive missed it all these years.

In the towns that i have lived in, the following definitions/rules/laws apply:

Right of Way is where the gov or utility can use the property in question. It does not mean that it is not private property. Indeed, i own some acreage in an adjoining state that has a utility right of way bisecting my land in case the power company wants to put a line thru there. It remains, however, 100% off limits to the public unless i give permission. Power company can come and go when they please on official business, but thats it.

Curb Strips everywhere i have lived have been town/city-owned. And the town/city doesnt need (tho they Have) a right of way since they already own the property. Indeed in 2 of towns i have resided, there was an ordinance that REQUIRED the landowner to maintain the curb strip (ie mow) at his own expense. Yes i know that sounds illegal but its on the books.

In summary, check the local ordinances and know your legality. Exact wording can matter. Not always, but sometimes- and that pretty much always applies when youre talking to a cop.

I also want to lodge a complaint on Swing360: he's giving away my good spots! :foottap:

Great thread! Dont know how ive missed it all these years.

In the towns that i have lived in, the following definitions/rules/laws apply:

Right of Way is where the gov or utility can use the property in question. It does not mean that it is not private property. Indeed, i own some acreage in an adjoining state that has a utility right of way bisecting my land in case the power company wants to put a line thru there. It remains, however, 100% off limits to the public unless i give permission. Power company can come and go when they please on official business, but thats it.

Curb Strips everywhere i have lived have been town/city-owned. And the town/city doesnt need (tho they Have) a right of way since they already own the property. Indeed in 2 of towns i have resided, there was an ordinance that REQUIRED the landowner to maintain the curb strip (ie mow) at his own expense. Yes i know that sounds illegal but its on the books.

In summary, check the local ordinances and know your legality. Exact wording can matter. Not always, but sometimes- and that pretty much always applies when youre talking to a cop.

I also want to lodge a complaint on Swing360: he's giving away my good spots! :foottap:

Don't let Tom know your are finding anything, he thinks everyone hunting curb strips owe's him a finders fee.

Wait a darn minute ! You mean to tell me that it's cool to go detect in front of someones yard just because a sidewalk runs through it ? I mean...I guess it makes sense. I know people walking down the sidewalk in front of my house are not trespassing or anything...but if I saw someone metal detecting between the sidewalk and street in front of my yard my first instinct would be to yell at them and ask them what the heck they thought they were doing ! Also, I haven't detected there yet....so I would feel like maybe I let some targets slip away. It feels really rude to me....but...maybe....I don't know....I think my brain is exploding a little in a non stroke kind of way. I will have to consider this more. It's fascinating though.

Wait a darn minute ! You mean to tell me that it's cool to go detect in front of someones yard just because a sidewalk runs through it ? I mean...I guess it makes sense. I know people walking down the sidewalk in front of my house are not trespassing or anything...but if I saw someone metal detecting between the sidewalk and street in front of my yard my first instinct would be to yell at them and ask them what the heck they thought they were doing ! Also, I haven't detected there yet....so I would feel like maybe I let some targets slip away. It feels really rude to me....but...maybe....I don't know....I think my brain is exploding a little in a non stroke kind of way. I will have to consider this more. It's fascinating though.

next time buy a house outside city limits! the curb strip easements are owned by the cities, you don't own them.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

next time buy a house outside city limits! the curb strip easements are owned by the cities, you don't own them.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Yep, but if the property owner doesn’t maintain the easement, they can possibly be fined by the city. So, I can understand the owner’s side.

Yep, but if the property owner doesn’t maintain the easement, they can possibly be fined by the city. So, I can understand the owner’s side.

It's a conundrum for sure. I've decided that I will hunt out every single sound from the patch between my yards sidewalk and the curb......and then....I may seed it with about a thousand b.b's or so......buwh hah hah....just so I can have a laugh should anyone ever decide to metal detect there. I mean....I could also decide to drop some coinage there....I'm not a total ass....just mostly.

Okay....maybe not b.b.'s...cause that would be cruel....instead I will just get some tokens printed up that say "my yard, my treasure" on them....that way we could both have a laugh.

My approach is if it immaculate and well maintained I pass on it. If it looks like a mower hit it maybe 2 or 3 times, turf is shot etc. I'll hit it. I also tend to pass on them if there is a car parked right next to it. Just think it looks weird if someone was to look out their front window and I was squatting next to the tire.

My approach is if it immaculate and well maintained I pass on it. If it looks like a mower hit it maybe 2 or 3 times, turf is shot etc. I'll hit it. I also tend to pass on them if there is a car parked right next to it. Just think it looks weird if someone was to look out their front window and I was squatting next to the tire.

Very good points !!!!

I know I might tend to feel more comfortable digging a curb strip that had patchy grass with bare spots and was obviously not well maintained. :lol:

Also, if the car already has a scratch on it from before (but yet unnoticed by the owner) they could say you did it by accident, not worth the risk for the just the possibility of a few coins. Now if the owner was in the yard you could ask if they would mind you detecting there, all they could do is say no and you move on.

Back
Top Bottom