Street Tear Out! ***PIC HEAVY*** (Page 5) UPDATED

Turns out what I thought was a 1 cent Candian coin, is actually an 1858 Canadian Ten Cents coin! Pleasant surprise!

Very nice score !!!!

Depending on the condition it might be worth a nice amount -

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=10-cents-1858&years=10-cents-1858-1941

and if it's an error coin then likely even more -

from the link above -

Errors and varieties
1858/1558

A 5 was struck over the first 8 which was defective. The top of the top of the 5 clearly appear at the top of the 8.

(web page shows a pic of how the error looks)

going through some stuff on the computer and I found some video I forgot I took on the last sidewalk portion of the tear out (where I found some IHP's, Barber Quarter, V nickels, Shield, and the 1858 Canada 10¢) I'll get the video up on my Youtube Channel tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDswNTVxZ-sj8Z9ibawAA8g

I just hope they tear more out this summer!

Neat scores !!!!!

Wish they'd do some tear outs around here :lol:

Hit the square (right next to where all the tear outs happened) last night since the weather was so nice. Found this beauty a couple inches down!

picture.php

Great find NEB !

That has very good definition, must have been dropped on the ground before it had a chance to get worn down from being in circulation too long.

I know it's been awhile, but alas, they tore up some sidewalk in a different part of town. Within the first foot, I dug 2 1902 IHP, with one being this beauty!

92455640_10216442367234477_5399942517313503232_o.jpg

WOW :shock: congrats on a very nice IHP !!!! :thumbsup:

Ever since I first saw this thread I have been hoping for a street or sidewalk tearout in our area :lol:

WOW :shock: congrats on a very nice IHP !!!! :thumbsup:

Ever since I first saw this thread I have been hoping for a street or sidewalk tearout in our area :lol:

well, it finally happened last night. Had the popo's called on me! They tore out another 6ft section of sidewalk to get access to some water mains. I figured I'd give it a go. Some old codger came out of his house yelling at me asking if "They" knew what I was doing? I didn't really pay him any attention. He said he was calling the cops and wanted to get my plate #, which I politely gave to him. Didn't find anything and headed home. Get home and about 10 minutes later the cops pulled up to chat with me. Explained what I was doing and they took my info and just told me to ask someone at the city office next time before I detect any tear outs. Way more polite than the guy who called them on me. You live you learn I guess, but out of the countless hours I've detected tear outs, this is the first run in with the law I've had!

O-Brother-Where-Art-Thou-Best-Quotes.jpg

well, it finally happened last night. Had the popo's called on me! They tore out another 6ft section of sidewalk to get access to some water mains. I figured I'd give it a go. Some old codger came out of his house yelling at me asking if "They" knew what I was doing? I didn't really pay him any attention. He said he was calling the cops and wanted to get my plate #, which I politely gave to him. Didn't find anything and headed home. Get home and about 10 minutes later the cops pulled up to chat with me. Explained what I was doing and they took my info and just told me to ask someone at the city office next time before I detect any tear outs. Way more polite than the guy who called them on me. You live you learn I guess, but out of the countless hours I've detected tear outs, this is the first run in with the law I've had!

O-Brother-Where-Art-Thou-Best-Quotes.jpg

Get you a safety green vest and hard hat. NO ONE will tell you anything. I do it if it looks questionable. No problems ever. People think you look official then.

I am somewhat amazed and puzzled why you detecting a sidewalk tearout would upset that guy so much, it's not like it's not going to be covered over again later with a new sidewalk :?:

I would think if you asked the crew before they quit for the day I'd be surprised if they didn't give you an okay, then if someone asks "if "They" knew what you was doing?" you could tell them you got an okay from the crew.

I am somewhat amazed and puzzled why you detecting a sidewalk tearout would upset that guy so much, it's not like it's not going to be covered over again later with a new sidewalk :?:

Because some people like to share their anger and bitterness with all...:laughing::laughing: and stay off his dang lawn.

I would think if you asked the crew before they quit for the day I'd be surprised if they didn't give you an okay, then if someone asks "if "They" knew what you was doing?" you could tell them you got an okay from the crew.

I ended up going above and beyond and talked to the street superintendent this morning. First thing he asked, before I said anything other than hello, was if I found anything last night detecting the torn up sidewalk as he saw me out there. So that was a good sign! I told him what the situation was, and he said "I don't see why there is any issue, have at it, I enjoy seeing what all you find!" so i take that to mean I'm back in business! They are tearing up another stretch today, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow night as I have kid duty tonight.

I ended up going above and beyond and talked to the street superintendent this morning. First thing he asked, before I said anything other than hello, was if I found anything last night detecting the torn up sidewalk as he saw me out there. So that was a good sign! I told him what the situation was, and he said "I don't see why there is any issue, have at it, I enjoy seeing what all you find!" so i take that to mean I'm back in business! They are tearing up another stretch today, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow night as I have kid duty tonight.

Now, that is the guy to keep close with!!

Because some people like to share their anger and bitterness with all...:laughing::laughing: and stay off his dang lawn.

I wonder what he might say now that it's obvious he has permission :lol:
(it's sad some people have to be that way though :()

THAT is SUPER !!!! :thumbsup:

…...make sure you have his name AND make sure to show him what you find since he enjoys seeing it !
(and if homeowners see you talking with him it hopefully will be obvious you have his okay)

Hope you gave that Superintendent your card, with your contact info, so he can give you a heads up on future tearouts.

Back
Top Bottom