BERMUDA??? Yes or no??

Chipk

Elite Member
Planning a cruise to Bermuda and Googled the legality of hunting there. Saw several differing responses. Some said a permit is required. Others said no. Some people reported being run off the beaches by the lifeguards because they weren't locals.

Anybody been there recently? What were your experiences? Any info on requesting the permit? I understand it is free.

Learn a few French sounding phrases, or make up your own language even!...Anybody starts giving you any sass, just start babbling and waving your arms around animated and look confused and upset......."Omelet Du Frommage!" "Volle le Futbol parken?" Be bold as brass if confronted... go to Defcon level 'pist' immediately to cut out the chitchat...

The point you want to get across without saying it is: 'I have a right to be here for some damn reason'!...just dont say it in the native tongue risking wasted detecting time getting embroiled in a riparian rights debate with some sort of beach resort umbrella setting up authority...

Babble on incoherently and make your wild eyed gestures translate your message..."leave me the hell alone, or I will get you fired!" "My Brother in law is Richard Branson!"

As with most things in Life, Its all about the presentation and not so much about the dialog...:laughing: In fact, still babbling gibberish, tell the sunofabitch to scuttle off and go get you a maitai..!:laughing:.

learn a few french sounding phrases, or make up your own language even!...anybody starts giving you any sass, just start babbling and waving your arms around animated and look confused and upset......."omelet du frommage!" "volle le futbol parken?" be bold as brass if confronted... Go to defcon level 'pist' immediately to cut out the chitchat...

The point you want to get across without saying it is: 'i have a right to be here for some damn reason'!...just dont say it in the native tongue risking wasted detecting time getting embroiled in a riparian rights debate with some sort of beach resort umbrella setting up authority...

Babble on incoherently and make your wild eyed gestures translate your message..."leave me the hell alone, or i will get you fired!" "my brother in law is richard branson!"

as with most things in life, its all about the presentation and not so much about the dialog...:laughing: In fact, still babbling gibberish, tell the sunofabitch to scuttle off and go get you a maitai..!:laughing:.

brilliant!!

I would only add one thing to Mud's response. Have something ready to put in your mouth to make you foam at the mouth while speaking his language.

You might scare them away from you and have a lot of peace while you hunt!

(Just be sure they are not packing)

To scuba and mud-puppy's advice I would add: Wet your pants while talking to them. Make allusions to the fact that you are Napoleon , etc...

But seriously now, Bermuda is a territory of Britain. And as we all know, Britain is a hotbed of md'ing. Thus certainly there's no over-arching "md'ing = illegal at all British crown land" law. Lest how else is Britain busting at the seams with md'rs ?

But sure, even in countries prolific with md'rs (UK & USA) there's still P's & Q's, and certain places (sensitive monuments blah blah) that you can't go on.

I'm sure you've read this thread: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,370793

I don't know if this permit they allude to is real or not (or was something dreamed up for shipwreck salvors, but never meant to apply to md'rs). Perhaps it's legit and codified. As you can see from the posts there. Ok fine, you could get it I suppose.

But notice Raate's post on that thread. He encountered a "scram". But later came to find out that there's plenty of md'ing going on there. They simply go after 5 or 6pm . Doh! Problem solved :)

As your google sleuthing showed, there are plenty of people who hit (past tense and present tense) Bermuda beaches. You can knock yourself silly looking for this $00.00 permit if you want. Or ... if it were me ... I'd just go. But that's just me.

Since there's no real permit, you should make one and laminate it. Look up who the governor is, and put their name on it, then sign "Santa Clause" in messy writing.

You could get really fancy with it. on the back of the permit, even indicate which beaches are "allowed" and print the ones you're going to.

LOL

Skippy

We went on the Norwegian breakaway last year and nobody knew anything about any permits. I remember reading about it and made several calls and emails to some agency supposedly tasked with permit. I honestly dont even think this "department" exists. Nobody working on the ship knew anything about it. I think hauling your gear on a cruise ship would be a pain due to space alone. We had a suite with oversized balcony and I think it still was only 240sq ft or so. Then there's the logistics of of getting to the good beaches. Mopeds are a no go which leaves expensive cabs or the bus. I remember thinking as much as I'd love to detect tropical waters, it would just be too much of a pita. I can't see who would bother you for a permit though. I don't think I ever saw any police outside of customers at the wharf

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not allowed to even rent a car in Bermuda..

Taxi or scooter rental...

Also, everyone, except me, drove on the wrong side of the road...

Cool stuff to see though..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170529_102251.jpg
    IMG_20170529_102251.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 434
.... and nobody knew anything about any permits. I remember reading about it and made several calls and emails to some agency supposedly tasked with permit. ...

This is SSSOOOO typical, eh ? Someone, somewhere, ~20 yrs. ago got some strange answer like this. So he posts somewhere that a "permit" is required. That get's linked. Which gets linked to somewhere else. Which gets linked to ... well, you get the picture. And pretty soon, it's just taken for gospel fact.

And all the links for proof-of-this merely point to each other. Doh ! And one day, 20+ yrs. later, you look around and say "says who?".

I have seen this OVER and OVER again. You read something "dire" about some far away place. And when you try to find out where this person got their information, it was invariably from a post he has to link that he read. And you research where THAT person got his info, and it's the same cotton-picken lineage. Into permanent regression !

In other words: Singular fluke "scrams" or odd-ball answers of "permit" are IMPOSSIBLE to put to rest. And to make matters worse, guess what happens next ? When someone *does* try to find out "says who ?", guess what the skittish persons does to "get to the bottom of it" ? They go ask, of course. And then guess what happens then ? They fall afoul of the "safe" answer, to a "pressing question" on the desk of a bored archie. Or someone couched their question in terms of raiding the pyramids, or shipwreck salvor, or exporting gold bars across borders, etc...

So PUT THIS TO REST and just go md'ing in Bermuda ! If there's nothing there that *explicitly* says "no md'ing" that you can look up now, why do people beat their brains out ? sheesk :no: A vicious circle of self-fulfillment :(

This is SSSOOOO typical, eh ? Someone, somewhere, ~20 yrs. ago got some strange answer like this. So he posts somewhere that a "permit" is required. That get's linked. Which gets linked to somewhere else. Which gets linked to ... well, you get the picture. And pretty soon, it's just taken for gospel fact.

And all the links for proof-of-this merely point to each other. Doh ! And one day, 20+ yrs. later, you look around and say "says who?".

I have seen this OVER and OVER again. You read something "dire" about some far away place. And when you try to find out where this person got their information, it was invariably from a post he has to link that he read. And you research where THAT person got his info, and it's the same cotton-picken lineage. Into permanent regression !

In other words: Singular fluke "scrams" or odd-ball answers of "permit" are IMPOSSIBLE to put to rest. And to make matters worse, guess what happens next ? When someone *does* try to find out "says who ?", guess what the skittish persons does to "get to the bottom of it" ? They go ask, of course. And then guess what happens then ? They fall afoul of the "safe" answer, to a "pressing question" on the desk of a bored archie. Or someone couched their question in terms of raiding the pyramids, or shipwreck salvor, or exporting gold bars across borders, etc...

So PUT THIS TO REST and just go md'ing in Bermuda ! If there's nothing there that *explicitly* says "no md'ing" that you can look up now, why do people beat their brains out ? sheesk :no: A vicious circle of self-fulfillment :(
Honestly, none of the beaches we saw on our trip screamed "detect me" It was either lava rock and sharp coral or pink sand that you take a step and just sink. I was actually glad I didn't go through all the trouble to bring my gear. Aruba and Bahamas on the other hand, I would've loved to have my excal at.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ironically, the opposite psychology is also often present in these questions. The questions of strange far away places people wonder if they can detect:

They hop on a google word search. They find posts of person's show & tell of finds made at such & such beach, or such & such country. So they conclude: "Ah, it must be ok then."

Yet does this necessarily mean that someone way-back-when went looking up laws and rules ? Does this mean you might not find someone to morph some ancillary verbiage to apply ? Of course not.

Human psychology is funny at times.

Back
Top Bottom