Elongated Cent

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I found this in the park where I found the injuns last week.
At first, I thought it might just be scrap copper.
It cleaned up very easily with some vinegar and a scrub brush.

I don't know beans about bridges, does anybody recognize this one?
I am hoping, really hoping that it could be made form an injun:shock:

Attachments

• 5-20-17 elongated.jpg
    5-20-17 elongated.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 5-20-17 elongated clean.jpg
    5-20-17 elongated clean.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 334
That's the Sky Ride at the 1933-34 Chicago Century of Progress Exhibition. Fantastic find, congrats!

Hey man, I have found many of these elongated coins or smashed pennies if you prefer...they all came in at their respective conductivity numbers so the new thin longer shape never seemed to affect them.
A few zinc ones were zincoln signals, most I found were made from copper cents and came in at normal copper cent numbers.
Then there is this one.
It came in way low, in zinc but lower than modern zincolns and pretty much where Indians come in for me.
Also I see those little denticles around one edge on one side.
Those are those little hash marks that go around the rim of an Indian cent but not on the Lincoln's.
Most times these machines smash the heck out of most recognizable features on these things...but not all the time.
The machine could have actually put them there but on the back of mine I have a few others that are longer and way spread out so I think my coin started out with them.
Still, it is the number it came in that is the best indicator.
All the clues tell me I got me a smashed penny made out of an Indian head cent so one of my favorite finds in my collection.
Mine was made in the 30's I assume at a time when there were still a lot of IH's in circulation and these machines go back way further than that.

If yours came in as an Indian I would guess that it is made out of an Indian so a great and somewhat rarer find...and welcome to the club!

Attachments

• user10659_pic74055_1486219491_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic74055_1486219491_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 265
Hey man, I have found many of these elongated coins or smashed pennies if you prefer...they all came in at their respective conductivity numbers so the new thin longer shape never seemed to affect them.
A few zinc ones were zincoln signals, most I found were made from copper cents and came in at normal copper cent numbers.
Then there is this one.
It came in way low, in zinc but lower than modern zincolns and pretty much where Indians come in for me.
Also I see those little denticles around one edge on one side.
Those are those little hash marks that go around the rim of an Indian cent but not on the Lincoln's.
Most times these machines smash the heck out of most recognizable features on these things...but not all the time.
The machine could have actually put them there but on the back of mine I have a few others that are longer and way spread out so I think my coin started out with them.
Still, it is the number it came in that is the best indicator.
All the clues tell me I got me a smashed penny made out of an Indian head cent so one of my favorite finds in my collection.
Mine was made in the 30's I assume at a time when there were still a lot of IH's in circulation and these machines go back way further than that.

If yours came in as an Indian I would guess that it is made out of an Indian so a great and somewhat rarer find...and welcome to the club!

Good information Digger, thanks for sharing (denticles-word of the day):D

I soaked it in a bowl of vinegar for about 30 minutes then brushed lightly with a brass brush.
I cannot believe how well it cleaned up!

Good to know! I have found pieces (like aluminum tokens) with that kind of crust on them before and have always found it to be a stubborn type of corrosion to clean off...

I have some similar blank oval coppers and I always thought they were put on a RR tracks..but wouldn't it retain its round shape, only flattened?

I made RR coins a lot as a kid, they usually ended up oval/elongated.

I used to walk the tracks on my way home. it was safer than walking along the highway. You would probably get arrested for doing it now. When a train was coming, I would did in my pockets for a coin to lay on the track. You had to watch close when the train ran over them or you wouldn't find a lot of them. I used to find a lot of the flattened coins near crossings. Not long ago I dug one in a park miles from any train track.

There are plenty of these penny smashing machines still around, how do people not immediately recognize what they are?

I used to walk the tracks on my way home. it was safer than walking along the highway. You would probably get arrested for doing it now. When a train was coming, I would did in my pockets for a coin to lay on the track. You had to watch close when the train ran over them or you wouldn't find a lot of them. I used to find a lot of the flattened coins near crossings. Not long ago I dug one in a park miles from any train track.

About 2 years ago while biking, I saw a train coming so I put a quarter on the track and after the train went by I could not find the darn thing!:mad:

There are plenty of these penny smashing machines still around, how do people not immediately recognize what they are?

Hopefully you are not referring to my original post. Obviously it is an elongated cent, but I had no clue it was from the 1933-4 Chicago World's Fair:D

Back
Top Bottom