Hat Trick of Junk Rings

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I had 2 hunts after work hunts this week one was on Wednesday and the other yesterday. I was dying to get out on Wednesday since my buddy had just brought back my Excal to school from doing some warranty work;), changing connectors and putting a waterproof connector on the Detech SEF 12”x10” that I had just gotten. Wednesday’s hunt conditions were a bit rough, but that’s what I wanted as I put Merlin through some torture tests and it passed with flying colors! The coil was a little chattier I believe but it was a little smoother going through the water. I tried it in wet sand for a bit and pulled a soft signal that ended up being the deepest PT I have ever dug. I was actually in awe of that. I found the Pokemon ring that says “I Choose You” to be funny. I think the SEF will be my primary coil and the 10” will just sit on a shelf as a backup as I see no reason to prefer it over the SEF.

There’s no going to Miami Beach for me this weekend during Urban Beach Weekend. It’s just TOO crazy! So yesterday I went to “Penny Beach” since I hadn’t been there in a while. Again, I put Merlin through its paces and performed well and without any hiccups. I pulled the stainless ring in the first 15 minutes of the hunt. Wearing thick rubber gloves makes it difficult for me to determine the weight of a ring, but I was pretty sure it was junk. The titanium ring came at about the hour point in the hunt and the tiny brass plated ring came toward the middle of my 3+ hours of hunting. I had been hoping that one might actually be gold, but my dreams were shattered upon closer cleaning and inspection at home. :( (A foreshadowing find was the Spanish Euro coin since I will be using it in a couple of weeks!:yes: ) I was happy at the decent amount of clad and that Merlin seems to be rocking now. I will be officially introducing him to y’all once I complete some final cosmetic touches. I'm hoping to get out for one more hunt with the long weekend so we'll see.

Attachments

• 5-24-17.jpg
    5-24-17.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 5-24-17 Ring.jpg
    5-24-17 Ring.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 166
  • 5-26-17.jpg
    5-26-17.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 5-26-17 Rings.jpg
    5-26-17 Rings.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 166
  • 5-26-17 Euro (1).jpg
    5-26-17 Euro (1).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 5-26-17 Euro (2).jpg
    5-26-17 Euro (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 161
Looks like the Excal will be busy this summer. Is there much of a learning curve to transition between the CZ and Excal?

i think my heart would have been racing if i had dug any of those rings! but hey the important thing is that you're finding rings and the non-junk ones will be your scoop in your near future! :D

Back
Top Bottom