Nickels, the New Pennies

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I work at a low income, working class, inner city high school. I have noticed that nickels have become the “new pennies” among the students at my school for at least a year now. Today, I witnessed a student that had just bought his school lunch and dropped a nickel out on the open floor. He looked down at it, saw that it was a nickel and walked away. Last month, at an outdoor table that some students were sitting, they got up to go to class and one of them dropped a coin. Another student looked down and made the comment that “it’s just a nickel”. So there on the floor it stayed as they walked away. Of course I would pick it up shortly thereafter, just like I did with the one in the cafeteria today. For years pennies would be scorned and nobody would pick them up as they walked by. Well it now seems nickels have joined the ranks of unwanted coins. (BTW - I have a piggy bank where I put all the found change each week and I average over $2.00 a week).

I told this story a few months ago, but I will repeat it here...

I was at my daughter's elementary school and noticed that they had removed a bunch of shrubs from a hill. Given the relative age of this school, I thought it worth spending a few hours hunting it. I found a bunch of nickles. Far and away more nickles than I had ever found before. I asked my daughter what was up with all the nickles and she said that the boys liked to throw the nickles up the hill to see who could make it the farthest.

BCD

Considering what a nickel will buy today, vs what a penny would buy when I was in elementary school,
it is not a surprise that the nickel is scorned by affluent children. Penny candy, two cent tootsie roll pops,
and full size candy bars for 5 cents, or even a box of caps for a toy gun 5 cents are a very distant memory.
Currency devaluation is, perhaps the government's "greatest" accomplishment.
Actually, the quarter is the real "new penny"

In the 1950's -60's there were no coins with value small enough to have the purchasing power of todays penny through dime.

Considering what a nickel will buy today, vs what a penny would buy when I was in elementary school,
it is not a surprise that the nickel is scorned by affluent children. Penny candy, two cent tootsie roll pops,
and full size candy bars for 5 cents, or even a box of caps for a toy gun 5 cents are a very distant memory.

In the 1950's -60's there were no coins with value small enough to have the purchasing power of todays penny through dime.

Maybe its time abolish pennies as a currency and increase monetary denominations in coins? I don't understand the resistance to this. Half pennies are no longer around because they became obsolete. When it costs the mint more money to produce a coin than its worth maybe its time for it to go? Many other countries have coins with far greater denominations.

Doesn't matter to me i will glad to pic up everyone i come across it all adds up

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

A few years ago a friend told me about saying his grandmother used to use....

"Anybody who won't bend over to pick up a penny, isn't worth one."

Hey, look at it this way, if we would go thru the effort to hunt and dig up pennies and nickels, then surely why not pick them up off the ground ?

I found an inflation calculator online and it seems to indicate that back in 1970 you could buy for 16 cents what took a dollar to buy in 2016, and what you got for a nickel in 2016 you could get for a penny in 1970. :shock:

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom