Iron Relic Clean Up

61chip

Elite Member
I found a few iron relics at the JGD Cutovers hunt that I cleaned with white vinegar then hit the flash rust with a wire brush on a dremel. I then sprayed with clear matte finish. I'm really pleased with how they turned out, especially the curb chain. It was a rusted together hunk when I dug it. It's a slow process though. Soaked the curb chain abouta week . Before and after pics

Attachments

• IMG_20160407_50639.jpg
    IMG_20160407_50639.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_20160407_29185.jpg
    IMG_20160407_29185.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 724
  • IMG_20160427_43328.jpg
    IMG_20160427_43328.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_20160427_53298.jpg
    IMG_20160427_53298.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 591
Looks great!!

I just found a colonial child's iron shoe buckle. I cooked it in electrolysis and sealed it with wax.

Before

After

That curb chain in particular turned out awesome. That must have been a tricky one with all the individual pieces.

That's cool... I've STILL never tried electrolysis:lol:

I have never tried it either. Not sue if the curb chain would have survived

Very nice job, those look real good!

Thanks, matmit!

Looks great!!

I just found a colonial child's iron shoe buckle. I cooked it in electrolysis and sealed it with wax.

Before

After

Thanks! Your buckle turned out great too

Those turned out very nice.

Thanks!

That curb chain in particular turned out awesome. That must have been a tricky one with all the individual pieces.

Thanks, Tony! I really took my time on the curb chain. Some of the links are paper thin

Great job on the cleanup Chip.

Thanks, buddy. Cleaning finds is one area of detecting I think I need to greatly improve my performance on. Of course, I may just need to find some stuff in better shape to start with :laughing:

I am pretty pleased with how the curb chain came out, though

Thanks, buddy. Cleaning finds is one area of detecting I think I need to greatly improve my performance on. Of course, I may just need to find some stuff in better shape to start with :laughing:

I am pretty pleased with how the curb chain came out, though

Yeah it looks great. I'm doing a few items in electrolysis and having pretty good luck, it just takes a lot of time to cut through the rust.

Back
Top Bottom