Bag Hunting

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
So I have been continuing to buy one box per week, and so far during 2018 I have averaged exactly 1 silver per box. That is okay since I hunt while watching TV or otherwise relaxing.
Even better though, I developed a solid relationship with a local bank because I happened to know the head teller. I asked if it would be okay to buy the half dollar bags from their coin counting machine when full, and she said, "Sure". The bag was only 80% but I filled it by dumping a partial box and took the bag home. That was fun! I found 16 90%ers (one walker, one franklin, and 14 64's, and 6 40 %ers. I also found numerous commemoratives and a few NIFC's. I can't wait till the bag fills up again, although it'll be a while. Better yet, they have absolutely no problem with me taking the coins back to their machine for the dump at no charge... so I'm really not out too much for too long.
I'll update when the next bag is full.
They also offered me the other bags.... maybe I'll buy them too!

So I have been continuing to buy one box per week, and so far during 2018 I have averaged exactly 1 silver per box. That is okay since I hunt while watching TV or otherwise relaxing.
Even better though, I developed a solid relationship with a local bank because I happened to know the head teller. I asked if it would be okay to buy the half dollar bags from their coin counting machine when full, and she said, "Sure". The bag was only 80% but I filled it by dumping a partial box and took the bag home. That was fun! I found 16 90%ers (one walker, one franklin, and 14 64's, and 6 40 %ers. I also found numerous commemoratives and a few NIFC's. I can't wait till the bag fills up again, although it'll be a while. Better yet, they have absolutely no problem with me taking the coins back to their machine for the dump at no charge... so I'm really not out too much for too long.

Keep at it and do yourself a favor and call other local branches of the same bank and see if they will sell you the bags too. My brother and father find 100 times more than I do in bags compared to me searching boxes.

Some may think it's ok to dump where you eat, but I don't recommend it.
Bank personnel may appear friendly and and have no issues with returning dumps from where purchased, but believe me, they are cursing under their breath. It costs them extra time and money, and it's one of the quickest ways to get shut down, and even lose your account status.

I've been wanting to buy a bag.. but none of my banks or Credit Union around here have coin counting machines..

Are you talking about the bags from the Coinstar? I was under the impression that the Coinstar rejected silver coins?

Are you talking about the bags from the Coinstar? I was under the impression that the Coinstar rejected silver coins?

Keep at it and do yourself a favor and call other local branches of the same bank and see if they will sell you the bags too. My brother and father find 100 times more than I do in bags compared to me searching boxes.

I have done that. There are two branches that have the coin machines and they will both sell me their bags. They just take a long time to fill.

Last edited:
Bank personnel may appear friendly and and have no issues with returning dumps from where purchased, but believe me, they are cursing under their breath. It costs them extra time and money, and it's one of the quickest ways to get shut down, and even lose your account status.

Thanks for the info. I don't dump my normal box that I search there each week. I take that to another bank so I'm not sorting through halves that I have already searched. (Hopefully!) What the head teller told me was that I can buy the bags that they would have to process anyway once full....look through for items of interest to me, then bring it back to their machine...where it will end up in the vault that it would have been in anyway.

Is that a "Popeye" in your avatar? Detecting find?

Why yes.... yes it is a popeye! You are the first person to have noticed. I have been a marble collector for years. That particular mint 4 color popeye is one that I no longer own. A number of years back when I was short on cash, I sold it for over $500. It was in a lot that I purchased on ebay for $100. Decent return in my opinion.

These machines (Cummins brand) definitely do not reject silver. They are not "coinstar" but are the machines that all of the banks in my area seem to use.

Thanks for the info. I don't dump my normal box that I search there each week. I take that to another bank so I'm not sorting through halves that I have already searched. (Hopefully!) What the head teller told me was that I can buy the bags that they would have to process anyway once full....look through for items of interest to me, then bring it back to their machine...where it will end up in the vault that it would have been in anyway.
They will have to handle the bag twice, and twice the wear and tear on the machine, costing extra time and money. Not a good idea.

Why yes.... yes it is a popeye! You are the first person to have noticed. I have been a marble collector for years. That particular mint 4 color popeye is one that I no longer own. A number of years back when I was short on cash, I sold it for over $500. It was in a lot that I purchased on ebay for $100. Decent return in my opinion.

About 10 years ago, the owner of a glass shop backed into my scooter, we went inside to exchange info and I seen marbles that looked like Dad's for big bucks. Dad inherited a gunny sack of marbles from his Grandfather back in the 70's. They were a family joke for years because his brother got a Rolex and all Dad got was a bunch of marbles. Dad has been doling out the marbles to me a shoe-box full at a time. I have had a lot of fun researching and sorting and learning about the marble world.

They will have to handle the bag twice, and twice the wear and tear on the machine, costing extra time and money. Not a good idea.

I will heed your advice. I really would like to continue to be able to buy the bags and don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. Thanks for the heads up.

About 10 years ago, the owner of a glass shop backed into my scooter, we went inside to exchange info and I seen marbles that looked like Dad's for big bucks. Dad inherited a gunny sack of marbles from his Grandfather back in the 70's. They were a family joke for years because his brother got a Rolex and all Dad got was a bunch of marbles. Dad has been doling out the marbles to me a shoe-box full at a time. I have had a lot of fun researching and sorting and learning about the marble world.

That is an awesome story.. I'll bet your dad got the better deal. I pm'd you. John

Great Post! I actually went into one of my local banks where I have an account and discussed this with the tellers that know me on a first name basis...I'm always friendly and good for lively banter, so one day, I asked..."Hey, You guys ever get any old bastards coming in here that hunt Coin Rolls?"

They rolled their eyes and huffed! "Yes! We hate it!" Said some other old guys come in here, buy all sorts of coin rolls and boxes, dick around, take all the free suckers off the counter, free pens, waste their time and generally stink up the place!! Said these old CRH guys are one hell of a nuisance! The tellers do not at all like handling heavy boxes or bags of coins, knowing full well that old B'tard will be bringing them right back after the weekend!! Wiping out the freshly stocked Monday Morning sucker bucket again!:laughing:

They want to get you in and out quick, and possibly sell you some sort of extra service the Bank is offering...not wasting their time with some old B'tard CRH'ing...thats true...They dont appreciate it at all...Old school BSA rules apply: 'Dont dump where you eat!"...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom