whats a good starter detector??

ohfisherman

i am trying to get into metal detecting and need some advice on what to buy. i have a friend telling me to get a fisher cz 6a. he is new to this and it is his first one. i will be looking for coins/jewelry. i live in cleveland, ohio so i am not sure what type of terrain i will be in. we have a lot of beaches and a lot of woods. any help would be appreciated.----tom

Welcome to the forum. It would be a big help if you could tell use what you had in mind for a price you want to pay for the machine. If your gonna go low, I would say the Garrett ACE250. If you are thinking higher, the Whites M6 would serve you well along with the Garrett1350. Just depends on what you want to spend, and how in depth you want to get with mutipul control setups.

I have a Ace250 works very well here in the Ks dirt. Does a great job in gravel, sand, and the tot lots with wood chips. Some find it hard to pinpoint but once you get it down no probs. I have used it in lake water without any probs just dont get the control box wet.

price doesnt really matter. i would rather buy something decent the first time around. ($500-$600) the only reason i could think of the fisher is because 2 guys at work have them and we could kind of learn together. the one guy is really into it and recommended the cz 6a to my friend. he likes it a lot but he really has nothing to compare it to. thanks for the quick reply. hopefully i can get more info as more people read this.................

Hi,

If it was me, I'd definately consider the M6 or a used MXT. They are fantastic machines that have a variety of coils. And they are Whites.

However, I have not used any other machines to compare. What I would do, is speak to someone knowledgable who knows about alot of machines. And that would be Tony from TC metal detectors. He can absolutely help you in your decision.

He can be reached at the link below.

http://tcmetaldetectors.com/

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum.
They don't make the CZ6 any more but the ID Ecel , Edge and CZ3D are all excellent detectors. The 3D is close to the CZ5 and 6 but has an enhanced mode for finding older coin targets. Look at these and let me know if I can help you with anything else.

I am also new to the MD world. I would suggest a good machine, but different than your buddy. I have the ML X70, but hope my buddy who wants to get into MDing gets a different machine. Someday I may want a nicer machine, and it would be nice to have some time swinging a different brand just to have something to compare mine with. All that being said I do love my X70, and have lots to learn on using it.

cb

If it was me, I'd definately consider the M6 or a used MXT. They are fantastic machines that have a variety of coils.

I second that notion. There's at least 7 different coils you can get for the M6 or MXT. In time you could upgrade to a DFX and still use the same coils. ;) The M6 is super easy to use, gets great depth and ID's well. Don't let the lack of nobs fool you into thinking is a cheap detector, it's not.

Welcome to the forum, I live just south of you near Kent, OH. In my brief (but intense) time in this hobby I have found no problems with the soil conditions around here. I travel all over Ohio and have detected in most areas of the state and my Ace 250 has not had any problems.

The Ace 250 is a great starter detector, you can find many reviews and postings here about this detector. I may be selling my Ace 250, drop me a private message if you are interested.

Fishers...

My preference in the Fisher line is the ID Edge. I have used the CZ's, Coinstrike and a few of the 1200 series and find the Edge to be the most versatile of the lot and a real sleeper performance wise.

I recently had the opportunity to use the Teknetics T2 for a month and except in the worst of conditions the ID Edge hangs right in there. Some detectors do have more coil options and you can end up spending a bunch for the various sizes and types. The Edge equipped with the stock 8" and 5.75" coils is all one needs for ANY task. It is a high performance detector in a lightweight easy to use package.

HH, Tom

thanx for all of the info!!! i think i am leaning towards a whites xlt. now i just have to search around the 'net to find the best price.........

Last edited:
thanx for all of the info!!! i think i am leaning towards a whites xlt. now i just have to search around the 'net to find the best price.........
I would contact Tony (a sponsor on this forum) first. His price will be as good or better than anyone's - and will go the extra mile to help you out if you need it. Steve.

Detector Choices

I'm new too, and have conducted extensive research. I have been reading this forum and others as well. The bottom line is that there are a lot of good detectors on the market, but the best advice availabe is to contact Tony @ TC Detectors and define your needs to him.

I would expect him to describe the makes and models that will provide you with the preformance that you will need. He has a sharp pencil, is very fair and enjoys a great reputation.

Good luck......Just leave some finds for us.

Tony's da man all right!! But don't forget to take a look at the Tesoso line, really good price/performance and don't forget the lifetime warranty!!

I bought a ace 250 local It does all that a person can expect for the money.I found a lot of things with mine the first time i was out....If you are interested..Go to Garrettmetaldetectors.com .They will give you the names of local company that have them and other styles also.Or if you want a different one just lookup the company you want to deal with and see where they have a dealer close to you.I think buying local is better...They will give you all the help you want...Plus a good warranty if something happens to it...idontno

Back
Top Bottom