Beaches in Charleston today.

valhalla76

Well for the past few days the media here has been hyping the hurricane.

None of the hype even remotely came true. Friday was very calm. Just minor rain. The news was claiming that hundreds of surfers were out braving the hurricane Friday.

By Friday night they local news stations were claiming "major beach erosion," and "folly beach devastated." "Folly beach won't look the same next time you see it." One channel was even interviewing people to get their reaction at the alleged devastation of Folly Beach (It was pitch black outside during these interviews).

These claims by the media were completely false. The beach looked the same as it did a week and a half when I was there. There were spots where the sand level was down maybe 6", but we aren't talking anything major.

The beach pretty much looked the same, except for a higher than normal amount of larger shell pieces and intact shells. When low tide hit it exposed a bunch of nice big shells and starfish.

Well I hit the Folly at 9 AM. It was supposed to be 90% chance of thunder-storming with winds up to 25mph at that time.

Instead it was beautiful, calm, sunny. People were already mobbed the beach at 9 to go swimming. There was also a half dozen other people with metal detectors around the pier.

I found 27 clad in 3.5 hours. No jewelry. None of the other people I talked to admitted to finding anything good.

I did find a noticeable lack of trash (except for the first target I dug which was an entire Bud Light can and a dangerous razor sharp chefs knife that looked like it had just been dropped). There was a huge amount of small badly rusted chips of metal out there. Fortunately most were laying on top of the sand, so you didn't have to dig to find out what it was.

I went to the southern tip of Sullivans Island in hopes of finding civil war era coins and bullets. Only found 3 clad in about 2 hours. Very uneventful there.

I think the sea shell hunters had a much bigger day than the metal detectors.

Why does that not surprise me. You hear more about beach erosion than there really is after any storm. We have the same idiot reports in SW FL. Report any beach erosion and ever garage sale detector is on the beach the next morning. Thanks for your truthful report.

The media has been lying for many many years now. This is just one example.
Find a site you can trust online and get your news from there. Forums like this really let people communicate what is actually going on without any bias.

Well... the eye of the storm is going to go right over lower fairfield county in the next couple of hours.. the wind is not hurricane force so far but its gusty last gust was 63mph with a sustained wind of 43 where I am at so the beaches are most likely being pounded pretty good plus they are calling for a storm surge of 4 to 8 feet the water level is already 4 feet above normal...

The media has been lying for many many years now. This is just one example.
Find a site you can trust online and get your news from there. Forums like this really let people communicate what is actually going on without any bias.

I was part of a news story recently that was total BS. I run an internet business selling flags. Some reporter somewhere wrote a completely fake story saying that people were rushing to stores to buy American flags after Osama Bin Laden was supposedly killed.

A bunch of other reporters copied that story. Then a local reporter called me saying she wanted to interview people who sell flags that have seen an increase in the sale of American flags. So basically I was offered free advertising but I had to go along with their fictional narrative. Which I did. An then it generated zero sales, which further convinces me that hardly anyone is even watching the local news.

Gotta take your Local news with a grain of salt, they are almost as bad as the major wannabe "news" networks.

My favorite is a local area that is built on swamp land and always floods out, they dropped new pipes in under the road and
called it a "flood free" zone now! :lol::lol::lol:

wildman 4910

That statement you just made sounds just like Charleston,SC.
Because I live here and find it soooooooooo true. HH

Privateer

Ok. They have been saying on the news that the beaches on the southern and northern tips of Folly Island are badly eroded.

The southern tip is a "county park." Basically the park is a 100 car parking lot with bathrooms, a concession stand, and beach chair rental think. Along with boardwalks. The whole area was flooded.

The place is trashed. There are places where the sand dunes are wiped out and the beach is down 3-4 feet.

Despite all of this, I found it hopeless to detect there. There is a MASSIVE amount of those small misc. rusted metal chips. There is also places were the ground in saturated in magnetite (ie black sand).

My AT PRO was just going crazy the whole time. There was a large area where the water dumped a thick pile of rocks and shells. You could see the metal chips laying around. There was probably lots of coins, possibly civil war relics, and possibly jewelry in there. But my AT Pro was going crazy. Could not get a lock on anything.

After 2.5 hours and 4 cents, a fishing sinking, and what seems to be a brass pin or something I retreated back to the middle part of Folly Beach.

Back there I started finding coins like crazy, just like Saturday. Though almost all were pennies. Seemed like there must have been people last Saturday only digging dimes and quarters and leaving everything else.

There was still an annoyingly large about of metal chips, but nothing like the blanket I experienced on the badly eroded southern edge.

Fortunately this was balance out with the fact that, like Saturday, there a near lack of bottlecaps and pull tabs. I did come across two deeply buried Bud Light cans near the dunes.

Overall. Irene seems to have washed the bottle caps and pull tabs out to sea, but washed in those flat metal chips in their place.

Back
Top Bottom