Explorer SE pro?

Yes they are good machines and will nail a 8 inch coin in factory settings.Any minelab fbs machine will..Price depends on condition,,I'd say anywhere from $350 to $500 .

Love the minelab explorer series... Very good machines, especially for deep coins in parks. Wood gave a good estimate on prices, all depends what is included. Stock arm cuff, sun ray probe, screen cover, coils, rods, etc...

They ground balance continuously by default. I don't think you can have it NOT auto GB during a hunt.

Noise cancel? Selectable as manual, or an auto scan method.

If the SE can be made to not always ground balance, let me know.

Do they ground balance?

You can not manually ground balance an Explorer. Furthermore,they do not give the operator a numeric indication of how “hot” or “mild” the ground itself is. The Explorers have an unbelievably good ground tracking system that they do not let you (nor do they apparently WANT you to) fiddle with. It tracks the ground continuously and automatically. Don’t let that be a factor in whether or not you buy one though. You would be doing yourself a serious disservice,especially if you don’t have a ton of Explorers running around in your sites that you want to hunt.

The NOISE CANCEL feature which AMC alluded to is a feature to deal with any stray EMI (electro-magnetic interference). They have 11 “channels” that you can let the machine pick from at the press of a button, or you can set it yourself should you choose to. Any new Explorer user should keep things very simple at first...and this means letting the machine pick. The NOISE CANCEL feature is not designed to assist with ground conditions.

The Sensitivity setting is perhaps the most important setting on the Explorers...for a new user the machine must be running stable with no falsing and gibberish going on.
There are two variations of Sensitivity that they use...Semi Auto Sensitivity And Manual Sensitivity. Be sure to read up on these on another well known forum that has an Explorer Classroom section.

The MONEY you might spend on an Explorer isn’t going to be the biggest investment involved here, IF you really want to realize what they are about. Your biggest investment will be TIME. If you are impatient,are prone to doing things quickly,are unable to grasp new ideas firmly, etc.....forget it. They are quite “foreign” to the mainstream “user of today’s detectors”. But if you are smart about it and start “small” with reasonable settings,reasonable expectations and hopefully a reasonable initial investment,an Explorer can take you places you have not been before.

I’m not trying to sell it to you. Just don’t be afraid of it. It is ALOT of machine with SUPERNATURAL abilities. That’s where some people get skittish and buck it into the classifieds. It has a serious learning curve. It’s not even a curve,it’s a right angle. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. What does that mean? A HUGE percentage of old and deep copper and silver coins in the last 20 years has been found with FBS/FBS2 machines. It won’t land in your lap,you have to go learn what’s going on.

Good luck and post back often when you buy it. Nothing else is like FBS!

You can not manually ground balance an Explorer. Furthermore,they do not give the operator a numeric indication of how “hot” or “mild” the ground itself is. The Explorers have an unbelievably good ground tracking system that they do not let you (nor do they apparently WANT you to) fiddle with. It tracks the ground continuously and automatically. Don’t let that be a factor in whether or not you buy one though. You would be doing yourself a serious disservice,especially if you don’t have a ton of Explorers running around in your sites that you want to hunt.

The NOISE CANCEL feature which AMC alluded to is a feature to deal with any stray EMI (electro-magnetic interference). They have 11 “channels” that you can let the machine pick from at the press of a button, or you can set it yourself should you choose to. Any new Explorer user should keep things very simple at first...and this means letting the machine pick. The NOISE CANCEL feature is not designed to assist with ground conditions.

The Sensitivity setting is perhaps the most important setting on the Explorers...for a new user the machine must be running stable with no falsing and gibberish going on.
There are two variations of Sensitivity that they use...Semi Auto Sensitivity And Manual Sensitivity. Be sure to read up on these on another well known forum that has an Explorer Classroom section.

The MONEY you might spend on an Explorer isn’t going to be the biggest investment involved here, IF you really want to realize what they are about. Your biggest investment will be TIME. If you are impatient,are prone to doing things quickly,are unable to grasp new ideas firmly, etc.....forget it. They are quite “foreign” to the mainstream “user of today’s detectors”. But if you are smart about it and start “small” with reasonable settings,reasonable expectations and hopefully a reasonable initial investment,an Explorer can take you places you have not been before.

I’m not trying to sell it to you. Just don’t be afraid of it. It is ALOT of machine with SUPERNATURAL abilities. That’s where some people get skittish and buck it into the classifieds. It has a serious learning curve. It’s not even a curve,it’s a right angle. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. What does that mean? A HUGE percentage of old and deep copper and silver coins in the last 20 years has been found with FBS/FBS2 machines. It won’t land in your lap,you have to go learn what’s going on.

Good luck and post back often when you buy it. Nothing else is like FBS!

Absolutely spot on,nice write up

I was close to buying one. Sold enough gold finds to cover a Nox 800 so went that route. I would have bought a fbs had I come up short. Tempting!

The price was right but I didn’t have time to drive there to buy it while I was in Phoenix. 2 coils. $350. It’s in Arizona around 175 miles from Phoenix.

Back
Top Bottom