Gold Ring (?) and Angel Coin

z118

Forum Supporter
Two finds from this weekend...

The first is a coin, gold in color, with an image of either and angel or Jesus on both sides.  I haven't seen too many images of Jesus with wings, so I'm guessing it's an angel.  The image is identical on both sides of the coin (token?).  I am guessing that it is some sort of Christian trinket to be kept in the pocket to remind one of one's faith, but that's just a guess.  Has anyone seen anything similar?

The second find is a ring.  The inside of the ring reads "18K HGE Espo."  Now, I thought 18K meant gold, so I nearly soiled myself when I first pulled it out of the ground.  But a more calm assessment really seems to indicate that it is NOT gold, based on the facts that a) it didn't make a gold tone when I found it and b) it has black tarnish spots on it that I don't think gold gets.  A Google search for "HGE Espo" brings up a whole bunch of what appears to be costume jewelry on Ebay, most of it sold as "vintage."  So I am guessing this is some sort of fake, but why would it read 18K?  And how old could it be even if it is fake?

Thanks very much for your help!

Attachments

• DetectFinds003b.jpg
    DetectFinds003b.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 43,925
  • DetectFinds003c.jpg
    DetectFinds003c.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35,766
Cfmct-PI said:
Your HGE means heavy gold electroplate its still a good find.

Here is a pretty good site for reading about gold filled rings electroplated rings etc.etc.

http://www.loewejewelry.com/gold.shtml

Wow! Thank you very much for the info! I guess gold plated silver is pretty good - is there any way to verify that it is silver underneath?

I also found this:

Espo (Esposito Jewelry, Inc.)
Esposito Jewelry, Inc. is a vintage costume jewelry company founded in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1951. Esposito Jewelry, Inc. used ?ESPO? and ?ESPO-FLEX? to mark its vintage costume jewelry.

Again, thank you very much!

Any tips on if or how I should attempt to clean the ring up?

Very nice finds indeed. Even though it is not solid gold, that is still a very nice ring. Well done. I agree with you on the token.

z118 said:
Cfmct-PI said:
Your HGE means heavy gold electroplate its still a good find.

Here is a pretty good site for reading about gold filled rings electroplated rings etc.etc.

http://www.loewejewelry.com/gold.shtml

Wow!  Thank you very much for the info!  I guess gold plated silver is pretty good -  is there any way to verify that it is silver underneath? 

I also found this:

Espo (Esposito Jewelry, Inc.)
Esposito Jewelry, Inc. is a vintage costume jewelry company founded in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1951. Esposito Jewelry, Inc. used ?ESPO? and ?ESPO-FLEX? to mark its vintage costume jewelry.

Again, thank you very much!

Any tips on if or how I should attempt to clean the ring up?

I tumble my silver rings in a tumbler... some buff them as well, I'm sure there is other ways to clean silver.

As to the Expo company I would google it and see what comes up.

rustynail1 said:
Can I have either one of them..? :grin:

I feel as though I have truly arrived in the world of metal detecting when Rusty is asking if he can have something *I* found! Wow! I feel like a REAL detectorist now!

Thanks Rusty!

(And no, you can't have them!)

Re: Angel Coin...I'M SO EXCITED CUZ I HAVE ONE TOO!

This is the first time I've been to this site. Trying to get info. on this Angel Coin I've had for several years. When I saw the pic you posted it was really cool cuz I've looked and searched mostly online to find out ANYTHING about it and still no luck. Soooooo...did YOU get any info. on yours yet? I've never seen anything even similar to it...and it has absolutely no marks or writing on it anywhere! Strangest thing! Anyway just thought I'd share...I didn't find it detecting altho I have found many things through the years. It came to me in a bag of jewelry I bought at a second-hand store that just had a variety of odd pieces of jewelry all in one bag that I bought in one lot. I'm getting too wordy now so I'll stop. Hope one of us can find something out cuz it's really a fine piece! Happy Turkey Day everyone!

There are plenty of Guardian Angel coins, tokens and whatnots for sale. Here's the story behind it: http://www.astrostar.com/articles/AngelCoin.htm
Original Angel coin was a French gold coin..genuine articles are rather easily available and there are also exact modern replicas. Btw, ebay item 260184107191 seems to be the same token. Brass, no further info but probably made in some souvenir shop.

Voriax

Gold Ring

i have a gold coin EXACTLY like that! i've been trying to figure out where it came from. any help? this is my first time on this site. i dont metal detect but i was searching for the coin on google and found this

Nice Ring! WTG!
The Gardian Angel is a really cool coin. Did you ever stop to think, maybe you didn't find it, Maybe it found you! :?: Keep it with you when you detect, It will probably bring you good luck!;)

Angle coin

I have the same thing that was given to me by a friend I think it is brass mine was found by my friend in a fire pit and was un recognizeable till I cleaned it up a bit now it has an antique look to it, pretty awsome

Saw one of those angel coins on thursday too. I work in a bank and we have a coin counter, if it isnt american money it gets stuck to a hidden magnet and when we clean the machine they collect all the non-american stuff. There was one of those angel tokens in there too. Couldn't keep it because the bank sends all the coins in to foreign currency to be exchanged.

Back
Top Bottom