What kind of knobs to buy for broken EXCAL II knobs

canwedigit

Elite Member
OK. Have googled this referring to this site as part of keywords with no satisfactory answer.
Have found Anderson with set screws and another site without with press on and yellow tabs sold separately. Can't remember which one. Pot still OK where knob broke.
Suggestions?

Obn/ Phil

Thought the stock were good, until i took them off, as the Anderson is far better, than stock , bottom line . I might add Anderson make's a quality CF scoop handle also, my 1st. Phil you need to stock the Blue color, for the old Blue's, the yellow , and green, are more for the Green machine :lol: I had to pay more, getting the blue knobs off Amazon , it was a spur of the moment thing, could not wait to get them , now with the Nox 800, the blue's are back in the closet :laughing: For a while till the tourist get here in june. OBN never could get that pin Point O ring to seat :waiting:

Last edited:
OK. Have googled this referring to this site as part of keywords with no satisfactory answer.
Have found Anderson with set screws and another site without with press on and yellow tabs sold separately. Can't remember which one. Pot still OK where knob broke.
Suggestions?

Ace is the place,,,jus sayin...

ag

Radio Shack was my supply house for knobs.

02740415_00_medium for Disc. / Vol. / Sens. (this is a smaller knob than the 02740416)

02740416_00_medium for On/Off --Threshold and Pin-Point

Both have a screwdriver slotted brass set screw, for 1/4" shaft and after 20+ years they have not failed me. They do not rust and they are much easier to hold onto than the ML original knobs.

Attachments

• 02740416_00_medium.jpg
    02740416_00_medium.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 194
I prefer ..... Larger ones really, but now have Andersons on all of mine. The larger ones like WW is showing for guitars work well.......but id get rid of those brass screws. They dont rust..... but over time the heads do get brittle from the salt water. Larger ones allowed me to turn the knobs easier and FEEL the stop MUCH better than a standard size. Id always get to the stop and give it one more tweak to make sure i was at the end...... something i didnt have to do with larger ones. Smaller ones seem to be way to tight when turning. BUT..... id say Andersons is the way to go with their SS set screws.

Suggestions?

When one of the knobs broke on my Excal, leaving only the slotted metal peg, I did this:

I took a copper penny. Filed down one spot on the edge, to make it skinny enough to be inserted into the slot snuggly. Then just pushed it in tight. So it's kind of like a butterfly-valve looking thing.

The Anderson Knobs are the best replacement, they are $20.00 for set of five, brass fittings with ss set screw and are actually cheaper than the stock Minelab knobs. What ever you do don't use the cheap ones sold in electronic stores, they will end up being frozen on the shafts and will need to be drilled out if you ever need repair work.

Back
Top Bottom