Found this kind of interesting

DAC

Learned something kind of interesting while playing around. Took several different kind of rings and laid them on the ground just seeing what kind of numbers and tones I would get. I'm sure it would be different if buried any way here was the odd part at least for me. I have my old very thin very small gold wedding band that I had to cut off my finger this year that's another story. But the MD had a hard time picking it up it was not a complete circle there was a gap in it where it had been cut. After I took and bent it to make contact the machine then picked it up very easy with a good solid tone.

yup, you'll find same finding if you read Digger27's posts on his F2 and now F70 experiences. has pictures of all the different jewelry and id numbers. just goes to show, unless it's really low iron ID/sound, you may miss something good if you don't dig it all.

Learned something kind of interesting while playing around. Took several different kind of rings and laid them on the ground just seeing what kind of numbers and tones I would get. I'm sure it would be different if buried any way here was the odd part at least for me. I have my old very thin very small gold wedding band that I had to cut off my finger this year that's another story. But the MD had a hard time picking it up it was not a complete circle there was a gap in it where it had been cut. After I took and bent it to make contact the machine then picked it up very easy with a good solid tone.

This is a very good reason why people should ask questions.
When we ask questions we learn new things and that can open our eyes to understanding...and maybe make us better detectorists.

The reason that gap matters has to do with the same thing that makes it so hard to pick up chains or why all targets like these come in at weird places or only at shallow depths sometimes.

The answer is something called Eddy Currents.

All is explained in this thread and this video which is in there also.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=92970

That's funny I found a ring just like the one he is giving the demonstration with except mine was not broken.

Congratulations for drawing your own conclusions. Repeat after me, "Dig all repeatable signals, dig all repeatable signals, dig all repeatable signals,..."

Attachments

• gopher ring.jpg
    gopher ring.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 239
When I started detecting over thirty years ago, I had taken my latest detector (a Fisher 555) in to be checked out and converted into a hip mount. The shop owner's father took me to a park next door where they had a test plot. He told me that anything in a complete circle was almost impossible to discriminate out. Maybe things have changed since then.

Back
Top Bottom