AT PRO jumpy signals

Mottz

Forum Supporter
This is my second season with the pro and I am having just the worst time locking in numbers. I am mainly a coin hunter and I go from Pro zero to Std coin. Whenever I hit that high pitch and swing back over it, it reads different. From 83 to 72 back up to 79 and so on. I cannot get these numbers to fluctuate less than 3 numbers. Yet most of my digs are coins, I pull out a lot of junk(which I know I'm going to). But why so jumpy? Especially when I'm in a not so clean area, I tend to pass up these overly jumpy signals. I do have the factory coil right now so is that just picking up too much that it is really reducing my better numbers?

By chance are you rolling back the ground balance at all? I say that because I have noticed it may do that sometimes if you lower the ground balance intentionally; not often but sometimes for me.

No, I'm not rolling it back any. I thought it may be that I'm not keeping the coil flat. But standing right in front of it and swinging slow it still bounces all over. Depth usually stays close but the numbers don't.

What if you found a clean spot and put a known coin there and swung over it. Try a zinc penny and see if you get 75-76ish. Qtr should get like 86ish but be pretty steady. Then maybe try burying that coin a few inches and trying again and see what you get. If its fine there, then most likey its just a really trashy area that the stock coil is getting several targets under it at once.

Would at least rule out problems with the machine. Also are you properly ground balancing it and I almost always run with the sensitivity down 2 notches from max unless in pro zero with no iron descrim its quiet like in a field with not much junk.

Motto do you check the spot at a 90 degree angle to the first sometimes you just need to look at things diff or I should say that the detecter does lol.
Good luck hope it squares away with you I also am fairly new to the at pro just got mine in jan and I run pro all metal and set my iron disc up to around 25 or so but if I hunt a park which I just hunted my first last week lol I use the standard coin coin mode.

So good luck and happy hunting
Scott

Is your coil plugged in tight? It is a common problem to not push the plug in fully. There is an O-Ring that makes it a snug fit.
For new users, careful not to strip or over tighten the locking ring

Hope you get it figured out. If not call Garrett. They'll be more than happy to help diagnose or if need be repair the problem.

Check your coil connection, as stated above. It will seem tight on a new machine when it isn't even in all the way. Tighten the ring and try pushing the plug it more and tighten it more.

After that are you Ground Balancing? Incorrect GB can make a big difference.

Then. Having the number jump around can mean several things.
1. It's junk, or several different pieces of metal. All would give a different number if alone. Together you get all their numbers.
2. More than one coin will do the same as number 1 above, except the VDI numbers will stay within the coin range. A copper Penney giving a 80/81 and a Quarter giving a 86/87 and you get 86/80/81/87, etc. If not too close together you should be able to separate them by running the coil over the target from different directions.
3. Trash with a coin/s. The same as 2, but worse. Watch for the number that may be a coin. Rotate around the target and see if you get a different reaction or numbers.
4. There may be a problem with you machine or coil. I had a problem, Garrett fixed it.

Try these suggestions and Good Luck. Keep us informed.

Hello Grumpysrb,
I'm having the same problem. Going out tomorrow to see if it was a fluke.
I will check my connections b4 I start. I may try out my 5x8 coil tomorrow??
Thanks for the tips...

I wonder if you have sketchy batteries or maybe WIFI, power lines or some other interference?

I have been coin shooting in a very trashy old park the last few days and the target numbers lock right on solid on a coin.

I can't even use my AT Pro at my parents house. The live in the suburbs in a neighborhood and there is like 15 overlapping WIFI signals in their yard.

Thanks for the input guys! I will keep all these in mind next time I head out. Irons, or anyone who may know, will carrying an iphone in a pocket send the detector into a frenzy of numbers? It doesn't constantly do it so I wouldn't think so but I'm still learning on this so maybe it is part of it?

Thanks for the input guys! I will keep all these in mind next time I head out. Irons, or anyone who may know, will carrying an iphone in a pocket send the detector into a frenzy of numbers? It doesn't constantly do it so I wouldn't think so but I'm still learning on this so maybe it is part of it?

Never had a problem with my iPhone or Samsung smartphone.

Some people have said their phones mess with their machines but I'm not sure which phone or machine. That is just something I remember reading here.

I never carry a cell phone around so I don't know, I have little use for the things.

You can also change the frequency or drop the sensitivity back to 3 from the top instead of 2.
I believe the machine running smooth is better than running too hot and getting those little false signals all the time.

AT Pro's are a hot running machine, I think of them like a nervous wreck. Sneaking up behind a nervous person and popping a bag is like a your machine running too hot for conditions and then getting a inch deep quarter signal. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Smooth is good. Right on the edge of freaking out not so good. Have fun and good hunting!! :grin:

Possibly the 72 could be a zinc penny? Zinc penny IDs can vary greatly due to varying degrees of corrosion & pieces broken off. 79 & 83 both in range for copper penny, in STD mode anyway. Might be a copper penny and zinc cent together with 79-83 & 72 reading, also. A zinc cent is medium pitch from one direction & high pitch on return swing. Best wishes, George (MN)

I am mainly a coin hunter and I go from Pro zero to Std coin. Whenever I hit that high pitch and swing back over it, it reads different. From 83 to 72 back up to 79 and so on. I cannot get these numbers to fluctuate less than 3 numbers.

But why so jumpy? Especially when I'm in a not so clean area, I tend to pass up these overly jumpy signals. I do have the factory coil right now so is that just picking up too much that it is really reducing my better numbers?

This is my second season with the pro and I am having just the worst time locking in numbers. I am mainly a coin hunter and I go from Pro zero to Std coin. Whenever I hit that high pitch and swing back over it, it reads different. From 83 to 72 back up to 79 and so on. I cannot get these numbers to fluctuate less than 3 numbers. Yet most of my digs are coins, I pull out a lot of junk(which I know I'm going to). But why so jumpy? Especially when I'm in a not so clean area, I tend to pass up these overly jumpy signals. I do have the factory coil right now so is that just picking up too much that it is really reducing my better numbers?

Symptoms, you are describing symptoms. "Jumpy signals" indicate you are searching for ways to get nice tight VDI numbers, correct? What COULD be causing wide variations in VDI numbers? Machine or environment or a combination of both? Based on the low information given, ground balance technique would be #1 on the list followed by sensitivity setting. Do you happen to use the newest latest 'manually apply negative ground balance' methods?

If its a trashy area then its probably just that there is more than one target right there. As you move the coil back and forth or even wiggle it the coil is sampling one target then another and back.

Back
Top Bottom